1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Owner Dan Rooney has passed away

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TwentyFourSeven, Apr 13, 2017.

1. TwentyFourSeven

TwentyFourSeven Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
  2. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    he was 84....

What a class act , you will be missed!!

Steeler Nation Salutes you

Cajun

• Like Like x 1
  3. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    Just got the notification a couple minutes ago. Heartbreaking day for our fraternity. I must say, I've noticed him declining physically the last few years...makes me wonder if he had something that they decided to not share.

2017 just took on a whole new meaning. Sure would've been nice if they could've pulled it off this year though...

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    A sad day.

I'm not old enough to have known Art Rooney Sr. Dan Rooney is all I've ever known.

Steeler Nation mourns today.

:steelflag:

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    I'm at a loss for words. He carried his father's legacy with an enormous amount of grace and dignity. He played a very large role in turning the Steelers into the franchise it's now known to be, from the lovable losers they were before the 70s. But through it all, he was a man of quiet class. I'll miss him. My most sincere condolences to his family, and all of Steeler Nation.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Steel Odonnell

Steel Odonnell Member

Jan 8, 2017
    R.I.P. Dan. It was a great run.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. blitz_burgh

blitz_burgh

Nov 15, 2011
    A sad day. He is what every NFL owner should strive to be like. I learned a lot about him and his influence of the NFL in his book Dan Rooney: My 75 years with the Pittsburgh Steelers and the NFL. A great read to learn about a great man

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Rest In Peace, very sad day. I'll fly my steelers flag at half mast.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Steelers89

Steelers89 Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Steelers owners ( Rooney) didn't want their names in the team directory. It was always about the players and fans. It was about the coaches. Well to me it was about the owners and specifically Dan Rooney. Other organizations can only dream to have what we have. God bless.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    A sad day in steel town....R.I.P

11. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
  12. tangofoxwhiskey

tangofoxwhiskey Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2015
  13. Rick

Rick Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2015
    R.I.P. Rooney

14. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
  15. Robert Reardon

Robert Reardon New Member

Apr 13, 2017
    From all of us with the Central New York Patriots Fan Club, we would like to express our deepest and most sincere condolences to the Rooney family and Steelers Nation all over the country. With 6 Super Bowl championships under his belt and was the biggest driving force behind the ending of the 1982 NFL strike, he was more than deserving of the 2000 Hall of Fame enshrinement. He is a man that will be missed by friend, family and NFL fans alike. Please take a moment and think good thoughts for him tonight.

Robert Reardon
    President
    CNY Patriots Fan Club

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. lewisha

lewisha Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Today is a sad, sad day. God be with the Rooneys.

17. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    We as Pgh Steeler fans and us locals have lost an Icon. RIP Dan.
    You and Chuck Noll, Joe Greene saved the Steelers.

18. winggin

winggin Well-Blitzed Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Godspeed!! If you see my dad up there tell him I'm doing fine and thank him for making me a Steeler's fan.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Oh man, very sad news. He was a class act, no doubt about it. Huge hole in the heart of the Rooney family and Steeler Nation. R.I.P. Mr Rooney

20. Blitz

Blitz Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2016
    Oh no.. This is very sad news out of nowhere!

I shook his hand a few years ago and I remember how just that brief moment stayed with me. The man had a powerful aura.

If this season really is dedicated to him then I hope our players for one full season are on the up and up and give 100% for him and nothing less.

21. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Steelers weren't a very good football team before Dan Rooney became involved. Once he was finished he left them the team that everyone was chasing. Thank you Mr. Rooney. RIP sir. We all hope the winning tradition continues.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Kind words from the former Commish..

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  23. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Was never around when the dynasty of the "Steel Curtain" happened. Nor was I around to see some of the greatest players ever to play the game.

Most of all, I was not there when Dan and Art took it upon themselves to combat the socio-economic upheaval during the 60s and 70s. To have them change not just a sports team but an entire reigon of a statw within the United States itself was and still is quite a feat I do not think will be matched for some time.. if ever.

Godspeed Mr. Rooney. I had wished I joined sooner but I am glad I did join to see you hoist your 6th. Here is hoping that the team can ascend to the gates that lead to the "Stairway". Until then, please enjoy some time with your father and share all the wonderful events that happened in your life.

- From a Canadian born but pround Steelers fan;

AskQuestionsLater.

24. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Saddened beyond words. I will share one thing that floored me in the many articles coming out right now. When a group of investors tried to buy controlling interest in the Steelers they were informed by the league that any attempt to take control of the team from the Rooney's would be blocked by the owners, all of them. In a league that seems all about money they were willing to say the Rooney's are the Steelers, they are football and money didn't enter into it. They allowed Dan time to gather his own group of investors and push the Steelers to new hights. RIP Mr. Rooney.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    My heart hurts. Great man, great owner. He will be dearly missed.

• Agree Agree x 1