1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

overtime rules

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by gman03, Jan 8, 2012.

1. gman03

gman03 New Member

Jan 2, 2012
    First off, this is my 1st post and I would like to say hi to all my steeler friends out here. Is it just me or does any one else think the new playoff overtime rules seem not right. I thought the idea was to closer emulate the college rule. What was the difference in tonights game. Both teams still didn't pocess the ball, what's the point?

2. harristotle

harristotle Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    The idea was to get away from the quick dink and dunk into field goal range for the W. I like the new system. We had a chance to stop Mr Mediocre and laid on the ground, just like we've done way too many times in the past.

3. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    The difference between the Reg Season OT rules and the new ones in the Playoff is simple.

Unless the first team to get the ball (Den tonight) scores a TD, the other team get a possession. Den scored a TD, so game over. The idea is to prevent a game ending OT FG where a team can drive 30 yds and win without the other side getting the ball.

4. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    :lolol:
    I agree.

They made a big deal about the new rule, but in the end it was no different.

Both teams should get a possession regardless of who scores what and wether or not it's regular or post season

5. Cali Doll

Cali Doll Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree that the new rules are dumb. Both teams should get to touch the ball. Our game, under the new rules, concluded the same way the game would have under the old rules: One team touches the ball, scores and wins.

Doesn't seem very fair to me.

6. CbusSteel

CbusSteel Active Member

Oct 26, 2011
    C'mon man. We got burned. Plain and simple. It's reactions like these that cause the NFL to keep screwing with the system.

7. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    The sad fact of the matter is, we were so inept on defense in OT that not even this rule changed mattered in the outcome. How embarrassing is that??

:bscow:

8. FeedTheMachineFTM

FeedTheMachineFTM Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    My thoughts also,,i like the new rule,,we just got toasted on one play

9. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

I dunno, teams have Defenses. All you gotta do to get an OT possession if you lose the toss is to keep the other guys out of the end zone. If you can't do that I don't see much room for complaint.

I understand the issue with losing on a cheap FG. So in that regard the new rule is 'better'.

But if it were me, in regular season I'd have a fixed time OT 10 minutes, 15 minutes whatever, but no sudden death. Game is over when OT ends, if someone is ahead they win, if not it's a tie. In Post Season, Sudden Death thereafter.

10. gman03

gman03 New Member

Jan 2, 2012
    not denying that we got burned on the first play in ot...just not seeing the point in the rule, either both teams get the ball or they don't

11. FeedTheMachineFTM

FeedTheMachineFTM Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Like said though ,,it stops teams from dink dunking down the field then sliding or kneeling where ever the kicker wants it for a 35 yard FG..I like the idea behind it..You must get a TD to win if you win the coin toss

12. Cali Doll

Cali Doll Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, I can't deny that the new rules are better. True enough and I agree that a fixed OT is the best option.

13. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    The Steelers deserved to lose, no doubt. But I hate the OT rules. Always have. Always will until each team gets a possession. OT rules are unfair regardless of wether the Steelers won of lost today, I'd say the same thing. It's a no-brainer and it's an easy fix.

14. gman03

gman03 New Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Obviously I'm biased cuz the 1st time it happened went against the Steelers. It's still not really what was promoted to compare to the college ot rule that brought this to become in the first place. I would still prefer to see that method put in use.

15. truckin9999

truckin9999 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    The college rule had nothing to do with it. They put this rule in to stop the 30 yard drive for a game winning FG to the winner of the coin toss. The collage rule stinks. In college, the teams get to start their drive already in FG range. They don't even have to gain 1 yard for a FG attempt.

16. blitz_burgh

blitz_burgh

Nov 15, 2011
    We were inept on defense the WHOLE game. Tebow totally and utterly embarrased the Steelers Defense ESPECIALLY Taylor! It should have never went to overtime. We knew our offense was hurting and everyone knows we have a terrible O-line, I expected the D to play it's best as always and instead they must have had altitude sickness because I haven't seen the defense play that bad in a long time.

Blitz

17. gman03

gman03 New Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Before they institued the rules in college ot, you never heard any crying for rule changes in the NFL. Not the same rules but that was the precedent.