1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Overlooked Because of Race?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by dkblue, Nov 19, 2011.

1. dkblue

dkblue Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
  2. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Did anyone consult McNabb before writing this?

3. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    while i think this is possible...I don't think he is any less good because he is white...he was the one who killed us in the SB

4. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Nothing personal, but as much as I don't mind being controversial, this is one post I will not add fire to. I am not supporting racism one way or another. I do not see a single black, yellow, red or white man on the Steelers or any other team. I see football players and men.

5. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I don't think the point of this is that he is considered "less good". My take away is that he is overlooked as a wide receiver due to being white and he uses that sentiment to his advantage. Just as Peyton Hillis did as a running back until he was chosen for the Madden cover and as a result went bi-polar.

6. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    This article pisses me off. If he's good, he's good regardless of race. Whoever played the race card is just trying to incite people unnecessarily. Arguably the best WR in the league the past couple years has been a white dude -Welker. So what? Just play football people and stop trying to stir up crap needlessly (not the OP - I'm referring to the author and players making this an issue)

7. dkblue

dkblue Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011

I agree 100%.

8. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i've really never seen GB's wr's talked about as elite, no matter what color they are. i think most of it has to do with where they play. :cool:

9. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    :applaud:

10. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    :this!:

11. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I find that very hard to believe. Not calling you a liar, but 99.9% of people on earth notice race. You may very well be that 0.1%, but you gotta admit, it's tough to believe.

I will admit I do notice and do form opinions based on race. Can't help it. For example, when I see a black QB, I almost always think that he's just not going to be that good, since very rarely are black QB's stars in the league. When I see a white RB such as Peyton Hillis, I think that he's not going to be very good. Same with white WR's, I think they make good slot receivers such as Welker, but rarely are they a deep threat or rarely will they be fighting for the jump balls.

Of course there are exceptions, such as Vick, Hillis, Jordy Nelson, etc. But I can't help but to have those feelings. I don't think that's racism whatsoever, I think it's forming an opinion based on past performances. For the most part, white RB's are useless. Black QB's usually aren't very good pocket passers and as such don't make good QB's in the long term.

12. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    You pulled 99.9% out your poop shoot. Im not judging you but I don't even remotely form those opinions you sighted in your post and I'd wager a lot of other people don't either. Alot more then .1%

13. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Every time I hear commentators mention how Nelson is under the radar etc. I'm just left wondering what defensive coordinators are looking at on game film when they don't take note of him. The man's a beast. He's not always on the field - that's about the only excuse they have.

I don't see any difference in the way that someone like Antonio Brown is (or at least at the start of the seasn was) off the list of "important people to watch." In other words - the fact that he's underrated seems more due to poor game planning on behalf of the opposition, and little else.

14. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    My 99.9% wasn't about forming opinions based on race, it was about noticing race at all. Did I pull it out of thin air? Sure did, but I just find it hard to believe that almost everyone doesn't notice race in one way or another.

15. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    I dont care if you are white,black,brown,red,yellow or pink. If you can play ball I want you on my team!! And if you are helping my team win I will back you to the wall.Dont care at all what the color of your skin is!!

16. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    Agreed 100%

17. SpeedyMikeWallace

SpeedyMikeWallace Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I think it has more to do with sharing the field with Aaron Rodgers, Greg Jennings, Donald Driver, and Jermichael Finley.

18. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    who? :cool:

19. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    :bs: I think Jordy gets overlooked because of his skin color about as much as Vick gets overlooked because of his - rarely if ever.

20. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    good hhite WR's are not uncommon. White RB's and CB's....now that is uncommon!