1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Overall playoff picture...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steel_ben7, Nov 15, 2019.

1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Those Raiders teams of the 70s are still reputed by many to be the most feared group in NFL History. Fewer teams used fear as a weapon the way they did. Never going to happen again.

2. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    That's exactly what all the other nuns were saying about him as well........... upload_2019-11-22_13-31-39.jpeg ;)

3. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Yes, the characters they had on defense are legendary. Lyle Alzado, Otis Sistrunk from the University of Mars, Ted Hendricks the "Mad Stork", Howie Long, Phil Villipiano, George Atkinson, Big Ben Davidson and the "Assassin" Jack Tatum. There is probably a couple of others I can't remember off hand.

4. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    John Matuszak and Willie Brown were big time players on that defense as well. Alzado was a Bronco in the 70’s. He was a Raider In the 80’s.

5. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I would have loved to see Marino play for the Steelers, too. Noll was still a damn good coach and the teams in the '80s weren't as bad as many people seem to think.

I remember the 1984 Steelers well. It was one of Noll's best coaching jobs. That team had a ton of rookies and they kept going back and forth between David Woodley and Mark Malone at quarterback and neither guy was good. The defense was decent, but vulnerable to a deep passing game like Miami's that year. They were actually the only team to beat the 49ers that season. San Francisco went 15-1 and beat the Dolphins in the Super Bowl.

With Marino on their side instead of shredding them in the AFC Championship, they certainly would have had a shot at the Super Bowl. People talked a lot about his receivers, Duper and Clayton, but Stallworth was still one of the best in the game and Louis Lipps was explosive as a rookie for the Steelers that year. I can only imagine what they could have done with Marino throwing to them.

6. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Not so sure about that. The Cardinals took us to the last minutes and a lot of people remind me the Seahawks had some bad calls against them. We could have lost those 3 NE stopped us.

• Like Like x 1
  7. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Well we had a 0% Chance to win those lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

I'm sure this is true. Years of posting on this board has taught me that the Steelers are undefeated in games that they never played.

The only trouble is those damn games that you actually play. Sometime you have to play stiffs like Tim Tebow in Denver, or Blake Bortles for Jax in Pitt. Games that you can't possibly lose. But somehow, someway they do.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Agree to a point. The 80's were not very good at all, I believe 2 AFC championship game appearances (which a lot of franchises would salivate over), but the one quote I remember (but cannot give a name to it) was, 'in the 70's we had a hard time cutting, in the 80's we did not know when to stop cutting'. You brought up (Marc) Clayton, that last name brought shivers to me. Remember Harvey Clayton?

There were a couple of bright spots..but far more 1st round busts than I want to remember.

10. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    The one exception is Super Bowl 29. Everyone is certain the 49ers would have crushed the Steelers because they crushed the Chargers, who the Steelers should have crushed.:goofy:

11. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey groutbrook.

Funny my friend. I remember using the same logic back then. Just Fun-eeee!

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

12. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    That 49ers team was insanely good. I don't think the Steelers had enough offense that year to beat them.

• Agree Agree x 1