1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Overall playoff picture...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steel_ben7, Nov 15, 2019.

1. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey steel machine.

Thank you for the compliment. Yeah, you know the old adage; "Treat others how you want to be treated". Message boards can be quirky. Especially, with the "Anonymity Factor" of the person behind the screen. Conversation, remote or face to face has to be dictated by the situation and context.

I look at mostly everyone here as a "brother" and a "sister" that are united by a common bond.... The B & G. Now, by no means are message boards a perfect place to hang out and from time to time they do require thick skin. Trust me, I have to bite my tongue sometimes also. If I find myself doing that I usually just do not reply. Take care.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

• Like Like x 1
  2. SteelersForLife8810

SteelersForLife8810 Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2019
    we're going to the Super Bowl guys!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    We're so behind that I can't even see our chances:eek::shrug:

4. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I hope you and your family enjoy it. Hard Rock stadium will be beating to that Miami sound and you can check out the difference between the butts of Shakira and I'm still Jenny on the block Lopaz.:dancing::thumbs_up:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey defva.

Wait, wait. Prior to the Brown's game, mathematically I thought we were in the playoffs if they started that day. So, how can you say: "We're so behind"? Now, from a psychological standpoint after the Cleveland debacle, it probably feels that way. Not trying to psychoanalyze you friend (smile) just sharing your frustration. Yes though, from that standpoint it does feel like our chances sunk quite a bit. Maybe if we get back on track with the next game we will all feel a lot better. Winning usually does have that cause and effect phenomenon. Then again, it depends on how impressive, or lack thereof is the win. Then again....I am just messing with you here. Now on the other hand.... Take care (smile again, keeping it light).

6. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    Colts lose last night to Houston drops them to 6-5 and puts Houston in the division lead in the South at 7-4. That helps the Steelers out because you want the Colts in that wildcard spot seeing that the Steelers own the head to head tiebreaker over them. So on Sunday now if the Raiders lose in New York against the Jets and the Steelers win in Cincy on Sunday they would be the 6 seed going into the Browns game at 6-5. So far so good this week for the Steelers with the Colts losing last night it helped the Steelers playoff chances improve a great deal moving forward if they take care of their own business.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    The seeding, especially the wild card seeding is going to be musical chairs for the rest of the season'.....

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Cue Jim Mora.....

One game at a time. Steelers need to beat the Bengals.... and then the Browns.... and then the Cardinals.....so forth and so on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Agreed. I did find myself pulling for the Texans be cause I knew it would likely help the Steelers if the Colts lost, but the real focus right now has to be on the Steelers taking care of their own business. They need to win Sunday. The also probably need at least four victories in the final six games, if not five, to make the playoffs. Win games and worry about what other teams are doing later.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    Making the playoffs is simple, win all your remaining games. 11-5 gets us in the playoffs.

Now I know this team is not winning a Super Bowl but making the playoffs is another notch in the belt for the Steelers. In the Super Bowl era the Steelers have to be at least in the top 3 of teams making the playoffs the most. 52 Super Bowls and I'm guessing we were in the playoffs at least half of those 52 years. Too lazy to look it up.

11. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I was bored enough to do it. The Steelers have made 30 playoff appearances in the Super Bowl era. That includes eight consecutive seasons in the '70s.

12. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wonder if that is the most of any team?? has to be top 3 for sure. Could very well be #1. Maybe Dallas is ahead of us???

13. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Diamond.

Yeah, I get what your saying. It is going to be a "weekly" "touch and go" thing with the playoff picture. By no means are we out of the running. At least not mathematically. The Brown loss does leave a lousy taste behind, however, in perspective it is just one game. I get how it feels based off of the last game's performance (an L).

Time for "Short-Term Memory Loss" to kick in for the B & G. It is up to the team to put this behind them from a psychological standpoint and move onto the Bengals. 100% focus on to the next opponent, nothing less will give the opponent an added advantage. I see way too many fans here hung-up on the Mason-Myles incident. And this is a good place to vent about it. Get it out of your systems to those who need to. I personally, have moved on in one sense. We need to direct all of our "Fandom Energy" onto the next game. Let Dickdell handle this and let us handle the Bengals. Just my perspective. From a physical standpoint (injuries), well as I say "You deal with the cards that you have been dealt".

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
  14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The Cowboys have 33. From 1966 through 1983, they only missed the playoffs once. The thing about the Cowboys is they had two amazing runs. If not for the Steelers, they likely would be know for two separate dynasties in the team's history, the '70s and the '90s.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Formerscribe.

I could not help myself here. If we had taken Dan Marino, and combined him with Cowher's Defenses, we would also be whistling a different tune here IMO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    I have a bad feeling about this game that would, under normal circumstances, be as close to an automatic win as we could get.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That may be true, but keep in mind that if the Steelers had drafted Marino, he would have played the first 10 years of his career for Noll.

18. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    Yeah, as I said in another thread, this is pretty much the Bengals Super Bowl. They are at home and their new Coach needs a win real bad. IMO they are going to be super fired up and it may not be pretty at days end.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Thank you captain obvious :hehehe:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  20. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    The Raiders could have had a 70’s dynasty were it not for the Steelers. That was an all-time great team that was overshadowed by the Steelers.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    the patriots stopped us 3 times too. 2001, 2004, 2016. we couldve beaten all 3 of those teams in the bowl

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Formerscribe.

Good point. I am guilty of not doing my "Timeline Homework" on that one (smile). Still, that would one would have been awesome! At that point (as I am shaking out the cobwebs) that 70's defense was gone (just kind of thinking to myself here.) So, now we have Marino instead of a put out to pasture Bradshaw and all of the many "flop" QBs afterwards.

Yeah, I still think we definitely would have been able to squeeze out a ring or two with Marino. He was definitely way more head and shoulders above what we had during that era. I think Marino had some "off the field" controversial issues that lead to the Steelers to not draft him. None, from what I ever saw to have been validated or at least reared their heads at the pro level.

I remember when he played Pittsburgh in a playoff game down in Miami. (Jan 6, 1985 - Pittsburgh Steelers 28 at Miami Dolphins 45). Even Chuck Noll made a comment to some extent like "Wow". I think we were leading 14-7 at some point and then it was lights out. That sucked. It was impressive though for Marino. I usually do not throw love at non-Steeler players but he was a Pittsburgh Panther so I will throw him some. Take care.

23. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Steel_Elvis.

Yeah. How about the Oilers? We really gave them fits, and I loved every minute of it. Man, it is great to reminisce about the Steelers of those eras. Take care.

24. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey BBH.

Yeah those freakin' Cheats. I am not sure why we cannot get over that bump with them. Yes, once in a while we beat them in a regular season game yet, still not good enough. I really thought that the playoff game against them during Ben's rookie year (2004) we were going to do it.

Now, follow me here. Just a theory. Here is a thought that some may want to think about regarding that one playoff game. Ben did not look great in the playoff win vs. the Jets the week before. I think they had us on the ropes and the Jets kicker missed a field goal which gave us a second life to eventually win. However, to me this is what has a "stench" that was not ever validated or even mentioned.

Keep following me here. During the last regular season game of that year, the Steelers beat the "rats". However, during that game, that tirdball suggs (AKA "gum-bee") put a cheap-shot on Ben that left him holding his wrist or hand I believe. Once again, no media about it. However, Ben really looked hurt. I wonder to this day was he hurt and in turn did it affect his playoff performances. Something just did not look right about Ben after that hit. Did you or anyone else notice this? Take care.

• Like Like x 1
  25. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Oh now that you put it that way................we're doomed. :facepalm:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2