1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Over and under that Le'vean Bell will pull the old hammy trick and miss 3-4 games this year

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Wardismvp, Aug 13, 2017.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The sticking point could've been the guaranteed money the media was speculating, I don't see the Steelers giving Bell 15 million a year.

2. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    The Team will not pay him what he wants , but he will not do what you suggest..The only way to get the type of money he is looking for is to show he is the very best hands down...He will not get that money from our Team , but he wants it from somewhere so he must show the durability along with his skills ....

Most Teams know the skill level so he has no choice than to show he can be counted on game in and game out for the entire run...Missed games will send his stock down without a doubt....

3. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Also, one aspect not really talked about..... last few years our offensive line has really come together nicely (I'd speculate thanks to Munchak). So listen LB, some of your success has come from the success of your OL, so don't go thinking you are "da man" and can step in anywhere with the same success.

4. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Taking scheme, QB play, WR ability and Oline out of the equation, Bell is unquestionably still a Top 3 RB in the NFL.

At this point in his career vs the likes of David Johnson, Zeke and Demarco Murray, Bell should be the highest paid back in the league, by a decent amount.

But if he is stuck on $15 million/yr, somebody has got to get through to him that's not going to happen.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    He is da man because even if your line sucks or you just stack the box he'll kill you in the passing game. He's nearly impossible to defend.

Bell is HOF talent, no matter who is blocking for him.

6. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    I believe he's going to sit out for a few games to start the season. If I'm him and my main concern is my career... I hold out as long as I can then play to show that I still have skills. The last thing he should risk is a serious injury during preseason. If he comes back in week one then asks the coaches to ease him back in for a few weeks that would shorten his season and reduce his risk. I suspect he will be very sensitive to minor injuries , aches and pain this year and might miss plenty of time since he's playing with out a contract.

I understand Bell wanting to be the highest paid RB in the league. He deserves that. But I question the decision to risk a huge payday and play with out a contract. Sure it sucks for Bell but that's the rules of the NFL....you can't take a risk like that. If he's got a problem with it bring it up in the next CBA. NFL RB's blow out knees all of the time..and then bam! your career is done or you are just an above average RB. His agent is making a mistake. Not a risk I would take given the short careers of RB's these days. I mean how much more can he possibly get else were? Maybe $5-10Million? but risk $20-30Million to get that?

7. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Frankly it makes me wonder if Bell hasn't been responsible with is $. Did he spend it before he got it? Why else take that kind of risk over 10-20% more of guaranteed $? Anyone know what the steelers offered? I'm guessing around $10mill per plus a bonus?

8. coldrolled

coldrolled Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2014
    The Patriots would pay him everything he wants... That would then finish off Bens hopes of a SB win.

9. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Because he like many others, ain't listening o folks with common sense.

10. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    For 1 year anyway... If Bill thought he needed him which apparently he does not and I'm presuming him not being available in the biggest games thus far might weigh heavy there.

11. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    My money is on the Rats. And then he'll torment the Steelers for not paying him.

12. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
  13. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
  14. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    I'd love to see the Steelers put this to the test. As soon as he signs his deal, trade him to a bad team with a sorry OL and see how he does there.

Frankly, I'm sick of all these greedy money hungry players who don't live in the real world with the rest of us. And Freeman is writing that even more players plan on protesting the national anthem. Yeah go ahead stupid players, kill the goose that lays golden eggs for you. I dare you. It won't take too much more for many of us to turn you off all together.

15. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    When he first got here, our line wasn't like it is now, he still produced.

Ive never understood this "I don't like him so try to diminish his skills" attitude.

16. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    I think he's a good player. He's just not worth what he thinks he is. And he doesn't appear to be much of a team player. At least the 2 suspensions and holding out for way more money than he's worth say so.

17. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't think Bell plays in the first game, either through not being in football shape, or him still holding out.
    One thing I'm trying to figure out, though, is what's Bell's play here? The tag for him this year is 12.120 million (which I'm still trying to figure out because by my calculations it should be $9.7 million). Without AP's dumb contract wouldn't the tag for him actually go DOWN next year, provided some other RB doesn't sign a crazy extension this season?

18. Fugitive60

Fugitive60 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2016
    He just didn't want to spend a few weeks in Latrobe. He'll report next week or the week after.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    Next year's tag salary is the greater of the top-5 average or 120% of Bell's 2017 salary.

20. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    No disagreement there, he's been selfish.

They tagged him before AP's contract was reduced, IIRC. **** out of luck now.

Next years tag will be 14 million should they go that route again.

21. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    Right, but does the tag count as the player's salary? I guess it does, since that will be what he makes this year, if he signs it.

22. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    I thought it was average of top 5 salaries. Even with AP's 15 mil contract I got 9.19 mil. I'm just trying to figure out how they came up with the 12.12 figure.
    Adrian Peterson Vikings $15,000,000 (with bonuses) $12,000,000
    Jonathan Stewart Panthers $9,550,000 $5,750,000
    Doug Martin Buccaneers $7,764,706 $7,764,706
    LeSean McCoy Bills $7,675,000 $5,050,000
    DeMarco Murray Titans $6,000,000 $6,700,000

add those up and I get $45,989,706. Divide that by five and you get 9.19 mil. How'd it get to 12.12 mil?

23. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Colbert said today that it would be "beneficial" for Bell to be at camp. I agree but I'd much rather him be productive in the season than camp. Still it's pretty lame from a fan perspective though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Thats the impression I had too. Maybe the salaries you found are off but thats a big discrepancy. Off by 15 million, the total would need to be 60.

25. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    As Ben states you can't simulate game shape/game speed. Le'vean Bell's skill set is dynamic but is benefitted greatly by
    a good OL. His pass catching abilities are off the charts.