1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Over and under that Le'vean Bell will pull the old hammy trick and miss 3-4 games this year

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Wardismvp, Aug 13, 2017.

1. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I am all in on this one, have seen it play out far too much. Too bad I like Le'vean.

2. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Under

He has too much to show. I just hope the groin holds up.

3. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    And what's the under on the groin.........oh wait, never mind. :rolleyes:

4. Fugitive60

Fugitive60 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2016
    What is the "old hammy trick"? Are you suggesting his previous injuries weren't legitimate?

5. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    If he doesn't get a sweetener on top of the 12.1 offered to him previously, I don't think it's going to play out well.

He knows the Steelers will just turn around and tag him again next year.

6. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Do you think IF he wouldn't have had the off field problems they would have went ahead and just locked him up? I don't but just curious what everyone else thinks about this.

7. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    If I had a nickel for every time I've muttered that under my breath...

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

Yep. He would be the highest paid RB in the league by a long shot and I consider the Steelers to be pretty stingy when it comes to player contracts. His boneheaded decisions cost him a few million, at least by this organization. BTW-That's not a knock on the Steelers FO.

9. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    This time, the Steelers weren't willing to give him an excess up front. Rightfully so.

Next year I suspect they will use the other tag and see if the market dictates his worth. I'm thinking the market may be less than what he was just offered.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

I believe they are very concerned about his injuries which is why they never locked him up.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    100%.

There may be a couple of other factors, but yes, if he was clean off the field I think the Steelers would have rewarded him accordingly.

Look at AB. Clean off the field. He got his money. There's a little more "me" in Bell than AB too.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Not sure about the "me" part. Both are "me" guys and AB goes out of his way to show it, on and off the field. But AB doesn't get hurt, he doesn't get suspended, his antics are a bit childish, but he always there. Bell, not so much.

• Agree Agree x 4
  13. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    Well, AB is a diva WR. It must be in the blood.:lolol:

AB's work ethic is well known. He puts the time in. Not saying Bell doesn't, but I'm not sure it's on the AB level. As mentioned, AB rarely is hurt and never in trouble, outside of TD celebrations, which shouldn't be a problem now.

14. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Contract should be about potential not past performance. On the field, Bell's potential is limitless. But with his suspension history he also has the potential to not be available for the team, more so than other players, such as AB who've never been suspended.

Bell is set to earn nearly 4 times more this year than he's earned his entire career. That should be enough incentive to show up. If he injures himself working out on his own, he gets nothing.

I think he messed up not taking the deal offered. If he were to get injured this year, he may not be offered anything close to what he wants. If he goes out and has a 2000+ yard season, then so be it.

The problem with that to me is, should the outcome of the game no longer be in doubt, he should be pulled, same with Ben or AB. And that type of unselfish scenario usually doesn't contribute to those monster seasons. So, maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see him being offered much more.

15. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    I know at one point in a Bell rap song he was talking about $15 million per year. Which is absurd.

But did anything leak over the offseason on what kind of deal Bell wad looking for?

16. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Bell needs to prove he can make it through a season without getting hurt or suspended. The red flags in both of those areas are the reasons he didn't get the long-term deal, so sitting out some games won't help his cause.

I doubt he ever gets that money from the Steelers, not when they can simply franchise tag him again for next season. By then, he will only be 26, but he will be six seasons into his career. Given how short the careers of running backs tend to be, would he even be worth big money at that point?

17. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    In my opinion, Bell would have NO incentive to pull a fake injury, he would only prove one of the points of the Steelers front office. He hasn't made it through a complete Regular & post season yet, either due to injury or suspension..... that should be enough of a chip on his shoulder to prove himself and bust it out all season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Fugitive60

Apr 21, 2016
    Not sure what you guys are talking about. The Steelers' offer to Bell averaged more than $12 million per year, with $30 million over the first two years.

With the deal Devonta Freeman signed, the franchise tag price for next year is going to go up, not down.

19. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    That won't matter, it'll be 120% of this years salary. The 2nd year franchise price is set in stone, as I understand it, 120% of the first year.

20. Fugitive60

Apr 21, 2016
    Should not have said franchise tag price, meant to say market value. Based on Freeman's contract, Bell will probably want more than he did this year. Of course, the Steelers will tag him and then let him walk after 2018. That is, if he lasts that long health-wise. He's on borrowed time as it is.

21. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    If they tag him again next season, it will be 14 million.

From that perspective, there is a slim chance they could work out a long term deal instead.

22. rocketdog

rocketdog Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2016
    I would give Bell 15 mill this year under certain conditions such as if we win the super bowl, you actually play in it and have 150 all purpose
    yards. If he gets suspended for any reason, he only gets the nfl minimum. If he gets inured and can't play his salary should be prorated.
    Bell is a beast, when he is on the field but is no good to us on the bench.

23. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Next year it's a win win. If he is hurt, suspended, etc, they cut him free. No big signing bonus from this year to deal with. If he is great, use the non exclusive tag. Then one of several things happen. 1) Someone else makes him an offer and we match it. The market has dictated his worth. 2) We don't match it and we get 2 first round draft choices. A good day. 3) He doesn't get an offer and he signs with us for a more favorable rate than offered this year. 4) He plays for the tag for $14MM and we saved $6MM over the 2 years. And we still have the ability to negotiate a new contract after that.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    5. He declines to sign the tag tender, and he holds out. Result: ________?

25. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    He never plays football again and we pay nothing. I don't see that happening.

• Like Like x 1