1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Out Coached again?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by BK99, Oct 30, 2017.

1. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    This statement seems to view Detroit as a static team, ignoring the game-planning against our defense by their coaching staff.

2. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    In a way, it is. You're right. But you can't control how the other team is going to attack you. You can, however, make adjustments.

Just listened to Julian Edelman talk about beating the Titans 59-0 his rookie year. BB ripped them over one play that they missed, reinforcing to them that they need to be better.

In that case, the execution was the focal point and didn't live up to BB's expectations. Here, I'm talking about the coaching not living up to mine. But the point is, and always will be, there has to be an expectation and goal of perfection. It won't ever be reached, even at 59-0. But you strive for it.

I do not see MT doing what is necessary to bring out the best in this team, nor do I see him putting them in the best position for success.

That is MY OPINION. It won't change until MT gives me a reason to change or proves me wrong.

3. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    The Pats own us and we still score TD's.

But Ben and the offense very well might explode against the Colts. They are going to explode at some time this season. It's going to happen. If we dont put up 40+ at some point this season, I'll be floored.

But realize what I'm saying. The point I'm making is that if faced with 6 red zone entries by any team, our chances of stoning them all 6 times AGAIN are slim to none. I don't care who the team or qb we're facing is.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Why can't the Steelers offense ever "explode" in the playoffs? I can only think of two instances in the past 20+ years where the offense totally went off. The January '97 wildcard game vs. the Colts (with Tomczak at QB LMAO!) and the January '06 AFC Championship game vs. the Broncos. Playoff games are usually nail-biters even though the Steelers outmatch the opponents in talent.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Barely :lolol:

But like I said, what happened in Detroit doesnt happen every week. When we are letting teams burn up and down the field each week, I'll be concerned.

6. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    If our margin of error wasn't so infinitesimal I could feel a little less concerned. We're one bad game away from handing away home field advantage.

That could be the difference between the Pats at home or in Foxboro. I'm concerned.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Argue with you? Dude you have a serious problem. Get help. Blocking your a ss

• Like Like x 2
  8. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    I get what you're saying. It's not realistic to think we can keep NFL teams out of the endzone if they get into the red zone 5-6 times.

This is totally just my guess as to the gameplan:

Lions can't run the ball on us
    Let's primarily rush 3, drop 8, play cover 2

They did this knowing full well that a 15-yard corner route (over the squatting corner and under the safety playing deep half) can beat cover 2.

I assume that they figured that is a looong, tough throw for any QB so they took their chances. Turns out that Stafford was up to the challenge and was able to make that throw often.

I don't think this strategy will be used a lot, but I'm guessing it was a product of lions poor running game.

Having said all that, I'd still like to have seen us throw some man coverage at them as a change up and also think Deebo would have gotten home against Mihalik.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Thank you thank you thank you.

All I wanted was some adjustment to the plan that Stafford ruined. Didn't see adjustment in coverage (more man) or personnel (some Deebo) or to ANYTHING other than what wasn't working.

Red zone defense was working. No need to change that. Pass defense outside the 20? Not so much.

10. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    And blocking me just got rid of my serious problem. Won't have to deal with his douche responses anymore.

...wait...

I take that back. I don't delete or try to hide the things I've said, so I'm not going to delete this. Not sure what blocking actually does around here. Arguing and disagreeing is part of all this. I'd buy Busman a beer and chew the fat with him any day.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
  11. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Ok, lets try a different approach on this.

How many games have we witnessed teams passing up and down the filed as Detroit did?

When thats happening every week, I'll worry. We were ranked #2 pass defense before that game, Im sure its dropped some now but the point is, this hasnt been a recurring problem.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    I understand your point. We haven't witnessed any games like that. No argument here. And you're also correct that it hasn't been a recurring problem. I accept that.

My concern is with how we responded during the game to something that wasn't working.

My concern is the Pats and home field advantage.

And lastly, my preference is for the defense to force punts instead of surrendering field goals. Better adjustments during the game could bring that about. In my opinion, obviously.

13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Gotcha. Theres only one more QB on our schedule thats elite, Brady.

Thats fortunate and unfortunate. Good because we should be able to handle the rest of the teams on the schedule. Bad because they wont know if they've corrected anything against that caliber QB.

Brady will likely carve them up again, going to really need the pass rush working that game, pressure up the middle.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. SteelHaven

SteelHaven Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2012
    I am in total agreement with everything you said in this thread but you and I are a minority here. Do I care? No. Should you care? You should not. People are way too sensitive.

• Like Like x 1