1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Out Coached again?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by BK99, Oct 30, 2017.

1. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Stafford is the highest paid player in the league for a reason. Top tier qb with suspect line and innefective running game. No reason to game plan against him, right? Or maybe we had a players' only meeting and they decided to defend Detroit the same way they defended Baltimore since that game worked out so well. Yeah, let's pin the defensive game plan on the players.

And when Stafford torched us, predominantly with us being in good position and executing the defense as called, the players must have all threatened to walk out if the game plan was not adhered to for the entire game. MT had no say in making adjustments.

You're probably right. The coach has no responsibility to assess the strengths of the opponent and game plan accordingly. The coach has no reason to make adjustments when a poorly conceived plan doesn't work.

MT coaches like he's an NFL ref during a challenge. He'd rather get it wrong than to overturn a call on the field.

And I'm so over the line about winning trumping all. One missed tackle, one unforced fumble held on to, one brain fart attempt to score from the 2 on 4th down rethought, and we lose that game. Adjust the bad game plan at halftime to take away the opposition's only threat and it isn't a nail biter.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Steven Leonard

Steven Leonard Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2017
    one td catch by Rodgers one well placed throw in the end zone to DHB maybe one less penalty by the Steelers and they win by 3 touchdowns. See it can go both ways, ifs and buts don't mean a thing in the NFL A wins A win.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  3. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Yes that is more precise but usually have to sit through two years of Physics before they let you sniff a Thermo class (at least in my case) - loved them both. Chemistry on the other hand.....ugh......my Achilles. Living out here at 4000 ft elevation I experience the "triple water point" shift every day - my late Wife used to boil water almost till it wasn't any more because she said it never got hot enough for her tea.

4. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    I'd love to win every game by 3+ scores. But winning by 1 or 45 doesn't matter. That is when a win is a win.

But when you allow your margin of error to be a thread instead of a cinder block because you can't game plan or make adjustments, then that's a problem.

Winning by 1 or 45 won't come back to bite you later on. Poor coaching will.

5. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

What are you even going on about lol. I never said coaches dont game plan because they most certainly do .. What I said if you read it correctly was that we do not know how much game planning and to what extent coaches go to for each opponent. Posters here like to complain about the degree of preparation goes into the game plan. Since we are not in the training room or in on the coaches meetings how in hell does anyone of us know to what extent coaches are getting players prepared?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Agree with this. The fans who have a gripe will only play the "what if" game in one direction, and they tend to undervalue the contributions of the professional players and coaches on the other side of the ball like they don't exist, and assume that we should just be able to impose our will no matter what unless we screw up in some way.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Okay. Wow.

Maybe I used too many words while attempting to back up my points.

We didn't show up in Detroit with a good game plan to shut down the only weapon they have. Simple enough?

And I don't believe I'm looking at this from only one side. Dropped passes WILL happen. Fumbles, bad throws, occur. Even an isolated bad call going for it on 4th down from the 2 isn't unprecedented.
    But allowing an offense with a suspect line and no running game dominate you through the air is not acceptable in my book. But I could be wrong.

8. Steven Leonard

Jan 2, 2017
    How did you feel about the KC game this year? Pittsburgh went up and down the field for over 450 yds but only scored 19 points, all we heard about was how bad the offense was because they couldn't score in the rec zone. So tell me how was the lions so dominant when they never got into the end zone and lost the game?

• Like Like x 1
  9. dd63

dd63 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2017

Except they did shut him down where it counts. They kept him, and the rest of the Detroit Lions, out of the endzone. Something no other team has done this year. Held them to 15 points, which was good enough for a win. Sounds like a successful plan and execution to me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Steven Leonard

Jan 2, 2017
    Ifs and buts incoming..

11. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    But, what if you're in Death Valley. Or New Orleans?!?

12. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

yeah they dominated all right lol. Scoreboard showed different and the defense kept them completely out of the end zone. It matters not how many yards they pass for. If you cannot get in the end zone and score a touchdown and don't score more points then the opponent it matters not.

13. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Scoreboard :shrug:

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    I understand your position and accept its merits. I'm on the other side of the fence on the argument, however. Don't see that changing.

15. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    It matters to me. This is a 16 game season, not 1. Over the course of 16 games, deficiencies unattended to will add up to losses that might have been avoided. I wish that winning that one game and successfully thwarting the Lions in the red zone for 60 minutes could impact our season more than one out of conference game does. But it doesnt.

It's a win. And I'm incredibly relieved that it is so. But it solidified concerns I have moving forward.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Except that won't happen again this season. Our defense balled hard. They bowed up and stonewalled the opposition inside the red zone all game. And that's not easy to do against ANY team. I'd have been impressed if they did that to the Browns.

But that performance won't happen again this season. We are going to have to perform better outside the 20. There is NO denying that. Give the Colts 6 trips inside the 20 in a couple weeks and I bet they get at least 1 TD.

We simply cannot allow teams to march up and down the field and continue to rely on red zone stoppage series after series unless the offense is pulling its weight.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    I was surprised, relieved, and ecstatic about the KC game. I understood the ramifications of the win and the incredible position it put us in in the conference.

As far as the Lions' game, I have never, not once, focused on the Lions' dominance. You're putting words in my mouth. I have stated time and time again, ad nauseam, that we did not do our due diligence and prepare to stop the only threat they have at their disposal. We needed to take away Stafford and we didn't. He did everything asked and expected of him. He carved us up outside the 20 and gave his team 6 chances to salt away the victory. To our defense's credit, they stood tall when it mattered most.

But I am concerned that if put in the same position again, they won't hold up as well. They need to be prepared to keep teams OUT of the red zone so they won't have to stand on their heads to squeak out a victory.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  18. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Technically water would boil slightly faster below sea level at slightly higher atmospheric pressure. Apparently, tap water at bottom of sea would boil constantly even though it's not hot. Explains why The Man made oceans full of dense salt water - otherwise 3/5ths of the planet would be a boiling mess, not temperature wise just agitation wise. Without adjusting pressure, water wouldn't boil at all atop Mt Everest but would be mighty hot. Can't remember what conditions you need for CO2 (dry ice) to turn liquid.

Edit: On second thought, oceans cover 4/5ths of planet, not 3/5ths - defective planimeter. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  19. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

Apparently you dont read the news? https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/11/02/colts-andrew-luck-injury-update-shoulder-ir

20. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Naturally, I had to look up the triple point of CO2. I’m finding no practical application in my daily life.

• Like Like x 1
  21. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I will forward your concerns to Art Rooney II :facepalm:.

22. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Finally!!!! The season is saved!! :thumbs_up:

23. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    What are you talking about? Apparently you don't follow the league. Luck hasn't been a part of the offense all season. How does him going on IR this week change ANYTHING for next week's game. Some of you want to argue with me so much that you're willing to throw out logic and reason in order to simply post anything in opposition.

Good grief. :facepalm:

24. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    I noticed in the seeding chart in last nights game that the steelers after 8 games is the number one seed, so after checking it out, the steelers are 1 chiefs are two and the patriots the 3rd seed, we need to hold this position going forward:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/standings/playoffrace

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    For the most part, we haven't been letting teams march up and down as they did in the Lions game. It could be a result of facing an elite QB finally but we knew we'd struggle with them but we won't be facing one in the Colts next game.

Steelers have owned the Colts lately. I wouldn't be surprised to see Ben have his best game of the year and Brissett won't be able to handle this defense.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1