1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Out Coached again?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by BK99, Oct 30, 2017.

1. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    x2 :facepalm::facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Many on this board think Tomlin cannot coach despite his obvious resume.

In other news, water is wet.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Oh, he can coach, there is no disputing that. He just sucks at it.

Water is wet, and so is Tomlin...all wet.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I never read all of his posts. They're always super negative and I can only make it through a line or two of the giant wall of text.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. lewisha

lewisha Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Listen, I’ll be the first to admit Tomlin frustrates me, but he had the team ready to take care of business against a Lions team coming off a bye, prepped and ready. Stafford was on point, but our red zone D was stout and the game plan was solid. stafford was dropping dimes along the sideline, being accurate as hell. And Tomlin did not let the ball go thru his hands in the end zone ( looking at you Eli and DHB), and he did not try to force a ball to AB with triple coverage ( 2 trailing and 1 over the top). Tomlin DID make the call to deactivate Bryant and start Ju Ju, damn well done. Hopefully if Bryant isn’t traded this motivates the hell out of him and this team finishes 7-1.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    How can a winning coach be out coached against a coach that out coached himself? It wasn't the greatest display of coaching that MT put together but it certainly wasn't as bad as the Lions HC. His decisions actually cost his team the game, so how can he be out coached by the losing coach that made critical decisions that resulted in lack of points that would have given him the win?

Shoot, your confusion is now confusing me. It's like you going to the bank and withdrawing a $100 and the teller gives you $80 but you somehow think you pulled one over on them.

7. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Actually Caldwell got outcoached, he cost his team the game by going for it on fourth and goal. If he kicks the FG there, the Lions had a chance to win with a FG at the end instead of needing a TD to win.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. STEELWARRIOR

STEELWARRIOR Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Huh:hmm: you saying Tomlin doesn't develop his players to be successful? Ever been a Coach or assistant Coach? Just asking!!! It isn't an easy task!!!

9. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Okay, fine. MT didn't get outcoached.

Semantics.

Call it whatever you want.

He still called a bad game. He didn't make any adjustments and hung the defense out to dry. Our D bailed him out.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    The players were in position to win easily. They made many mistakes in execution. They still made just enough plays to win. How this game is on the coaches is beyond me,

11. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    I wasn't saying Tomlin doesn't develop his players to be successful, but since you brought it up, I'll bite. According to what I'm seeing week in and week out, I'd have to say he does not develop them well enough to play up their potential as a unit.

Yes, I've been a head coach at the high school level and played in college.

I never said, nor will ever say, that it is easy. But as a fan who goes to games and buys merchandise, I have the right to criticize anything and everything I see fit. Maybe my views and opinions are accurate, maybe they aren't. But they are just as viable as anyone else's. Anyone who disagrees here is espousing an opinion with no more weight or substance than mine.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    There's no shame in this being beyond you. Admitting you don't understand is admirable.

13. STEELWARRIOR

STEELWARRIOR Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Relax!!! forgive me for "espousing" of your opinion, weight and above all your subtance!!!:hmm:

14. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    I'm relaxed, brother. Just saying what's on my mind. I didn't take any offense at your comments or questions. You asked, I answered, right or wrong. It's all good in the hood.

15. SteelHaven

SteelHaven Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2012
    I
    This is exactly the feeling I get watching this team but I didn't see it till later on, (the last couple years). Tomlin does have his strengths (like motivating, talent evaluations, tied to draft needs) which I think the latter is critical to any success. However his weaknesses seem to outweigh his strengths ,Which is the kind of result you get like in the AFC championship. Running the same thing over and over against the team that owns you makes one question if he really is the answer.

But right now the team is 6-2 and 1st in AFC so there really isnt much to be pessimistic about at the moment. Tomlin is doing his job despite it looking inconsistent. Ill enjoy it while it lasts though.

16. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    No, our D won the game.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Think

Try it

18. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I apologize for the "wall of text", I used punctuation but didn't separate paragraphs. By the way, someone critical of that consistently uses "your" when "you're" should be used, remember, "you're" is a contraction of "you are" but I digress. Anyway, my point is that despite the Lions marching down field at will, there was no adjustments made to even try to stop it, the exact same routes worked every single time and it was done on multiple occasions from the same formations in both halves. The point is that as HC, you think he would have had Butler make some sort of adjustment or at least tell him that his coverage on that formation isn't working. Tomlin can coach but again, he lacks game planning and my point is illustrated with the play of the Lions defense. They have the 26th ranked run defense yet they did a great job of keeping the run game in check, they had a patchwork and banged up o-line but they somehow picked up all the blitzes and our "great pass rush" managed the least pressure Stafford has seen all season, it literally was their best game as a unit, how did that happen? It happened because they studied tape and knew the tendencies of how this team operates, and how did Tomlin fair when he knew how the Lions offense operates? He didn't know their tendencies or game plan because "he does what he does" and it often costs him mistakes, no other coach has lost as many games to sub .500 teams since 2009 than Mike Tomlin despite having a franchise QB, that stat will always stick out. I would probably not be so critical if it wasn't for all the black and gold colored glasses being worn, and what I mean by that is we, myself included, tend to be complacent as a fan base just because we win and therefore all is right with the world. I look at it as we aren't winning as much as avoiding a loss, the same mistakes week after week, after week, a good coach can correct mistakes but Tomlin never has, sure they improve but only in small increments and they regress multiple times per season. Every single season we suffer a blow out loss to a sub par team, last year it was the Eagles and this season the Jags and we get by a banged up Lions squad and suddenly we are great, I want to see Tomlin coach rather than just put a team on the field and do the same thing, I want to see a teams weakness attacked, like the Jags, just throw and throw some more against the best pass D in the league. No game planning.....Ever. He was out coached in the sense that they did what they wanted to do, limit Brown and Bell on defense and move the chains on offense, the difference was the Steeler D held firm in the red zone, as I said, the problem with the red zone for those guys is a true running game, had they had that the game would have been different. Tomlin got the win but did his game plan work? Well you can't answer that because he never has one, just "do what we do" and it costs us at least 2 games a year that are winnable and we sneak in to the playoffs by the skin of our teeth when there is no reason for it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
  20. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    Ok, I will bite...please tell me what MT should have done to call a better game? What adjustments needed to be made? I realize the defense threw the 98 yard touchdown, blocked for LB to run into the end zone, kicked the field goals, and made the plays needed to win the game, but I guess I don't understand how MT is responsible for the offensive failures and not the defensive success? I know Mt being responsible for the offense but not the defense is semantics, right?

21. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Crap! I don't know how to highlight just the last sentence. We won our division last year. How, exactly, is that getting in by the "skin of our teeth"?

22. dd63

dd63 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2017
    I'm not sure the phrase "The other guys get paid too" has ever been more apt. In fact, in the case of Stafford, he gets paid more than anyone else in the league. And he showcased why on Sunday night. The fact that the Steelers won despite: his cannon of an arm, in hostile territory, against an extremely motivated, well rested, talented team that had two weeks to prepare for them, is a testament to how well prepared Tomlin had his team. To look at it any other way is at best, foolish, and at worst, disingenuous with the aim to push a personal narrative.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  23. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I stand corrected

24. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I’m guessing you didn’t read the second one either.

25. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    I'm on the fence about being pessimistic. On one hand, you're absolutely right about being 6-2 (and in first place in the conference). We win out and we get home field advantage through the playoffs. Why complain?

I guess for the same reason we shouldn't complain, we should.

We have bumbled our way into this position, and our standing at this point is great. But we aren't ready to win the games we NEED to win. Hell, we can barely win the games we SHOULD win. Our luck won't hold up indefinitely and unless we right the ship (aka Tomlin coaching better) we will squander the opportunity we have and chuck a season where we have possibly the most talented offense in football.

I accept that ragging on Tomlin isn't wildly popular around here. And honestly, none that are challenging me on my assertions are wrong to do so. I just have a different opinion on what is going on.

The way I see it, we don't have a talent problem. We don't have a lack of experience problem. We don't have an injury problem. So what is left that's the problem if it's not on the field?

(And there have been poorly thrown balls, dropped passes, fumbles, penalties, and missed assignments - but isn't there always? On every team?)

To me, it comes down to coaching. It comes down to getting the most out of your players and putting them in positions to be successful. It comes from taking what you have to work with and maximizing the strengths while minimizing the weaknesses. Every team deals with this.

Other than at qb, are the Pats more talented than us? Not remotely. But they play every game directly against that week's opponent. They exploit weaknesses with their strengths. They don't try to be what they aren't. And do you know why they aren't worried in a Superbowl when they're down 5 scores? BECAUSE THEY MAKE ADJUSTMENTS. Brady wasn't sleepwalking through the first half of the SB against the Falcons. The Falcons were stopping him. Then came the coaching. Coaching.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1