1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Our Offensive Line Woes

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by STEELWINDS, Sep 7, 2022.

1. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hi Everyone.

I realize that I have not been around in a while. I hope everyone is doing well. New season with high expectations in addition to some serious concerns that we are all aware of, specifically the Offensive Line.

Building an Offensive Line is a Long-Term Process that this organization seemingly does not understand or at least has forgotten. Remember when we picked up the likes of DeCastro and Pouncey? Now, that is the Steelers’ way of doing things; in part through the draft. You get what you get with drafting Offensive Lineman in the later rounds (3rd and on) and that is why we are in the position that we are currently in.

We all know that Offensive-Line and Defensive-Line are not “sexy picks” per se. Especially, the Offensive Line. Nonetheless, they are the right picks when re-building. In addition, yes, sprinkle in a free-agent or two because in today’s game not every position can be addressed through the draft like it was 30-40 years ago. This is just fact due to the way rookie contracts are set-up. Sure, we may find a gem in those later rounds but as we know the more “surer” bets come in rounds 1 & 2.

So, the old adage: “You get what you pay for” explains a lot in regard to the woes of our Offensive Line. I did a bit of historical Draft Research, and this is what I found.

The most recent 1st Round Offensive Linemen that we drafted were DeCastro in 2012 and Pouncey in 2010. WOW! OVER TEN YEARS AGO! Both demonstrated their talents in relation to where they were drafted. Again, in the 1st Round. Then you have to go back to Kendall Simmons in 2002 and Alan Faneca 1998. And both of them are not even part of the Tomlin era. Both very good players.

As far as the 2nd Round, Marcus Gilbert was in 2011 and Mike Adams was 2012. Neither who lit it up. Gilbert was serviceable and Adams was a problem-child (A.K.A. “Bust”).

So, in wrapping this up, we have not SERIOUSLY addressed our Offensive Line through the Draft since DeCastro in 2012 and Pouncey in 2010. Again over ten years ago. Thus, in great part, this explains the current woes to our Offensive Line’s performance over the past three years or so.

STEELWINDS
    The East Side Kid

Last edited: Sep 8, 2022
    • Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    Great post and exactly why we shouldn’t have been drafting first rd RBs or reaching for first rd QBs when the OL is abysmal. Barry Sanders would struggle behind this line. Steelers dropped the ball here and hopefully they can rectify it over the next 2 drafts. Unfortunately Najee will likely be washed up by then and who knows what KP will do?

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I mean we've built a successful line before, so I don't know why we couldn't do that again. Yes we had first round picks in DD and Pouncey, but we had major contributors from the later rounds/UDFA so I dont blame them for thinking they could replicate that success. Ramon Foster, Villanueva and Feiler were all really good players that were UDFA's. We also had Hubbard and Beachum come from the later rounds as really good players too. It wasn't just a good line because we spent high caliber picks on the position. We got the RIGHT guys, and were successful with our later picks/UDFA's. Sometimes position groups lag behind and need to be addressed. I'm sure we are looking at some OL for the first 2 rounds of the next 2 drafts (likely ending up with 2 OL with those 4 picks). We just cant miss like we did with Kendrick Green or Mike Adams. Early round picks dont guarantee that the player we picked will be good. Is the line bad because we haven't put the draft capital into it? Yeah, that's one of the main reasons. Is it the end of the world? No. We can still build around what we have and if we get a good OL or two in the next couple drafts, it will end up being a really good unit again.

Would we be a better team or in a better position right now if we took OL instead of Najee, Friermuth, Pickett? I don't agree. Benny Snell at starting RB, Gentry as the starting TE backed up by a rookie, and no QB of the future learning the game and ready to go in 2023.

We can still address those needs in the future and we weren't expecting to be SB contenders the year after Ben retired anyways.

4. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    It never ceases to amaze me that career NFL coaches and GM's still don't understand that games are won up front...... This is proven yr in and yr out, and our line is still largely ignored.... When did NFL IQ's fall off a cliff

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. nor

nor Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2016
    how many OL did chuck noll draft in the first round?

answer: zero (0)

Last edited: Sep 8, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

yep - you win (and LOSE) mainly in the trenches. Thought Colbert understood that, not sure Tomlin does.

7. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey SGSteeler.

I do not think that we have ever chatted before. So, "Hello".

I hear everything that you are saying. To add to my post, I am not looking for five Round #1/#2 players on the Offensive Line. It would be near impossible to do for other positions need to be addressed as well (Although our Defense, at one point, had nearly all Round #1 players somewhere during the past few years).

Nonetheless, we have to have some high draft picks to make up a formidable Offensive Line. That goes for every sub-facet of the team (DL, Secondary, WR, RB, etc.). The fact remains we cannot put together a decent Offensive Line without at least........... (Thinking here, smile.) I would say a minimum of two top 1st/2nd Round Draft choices, a proven veteran or two through trade, Free Agency and any other options that are available. Then, we can go fishing in the later rounds (#3 and on) to complete the project.

We are "loaded" with quality skilled-position players on the Offense in my opinion:
    • Harris
    • Samuels (I know that he has been a journeyman of sorts but from what I have seen in pre-season, I am very excited.)
    • Claypool
    • Johnson
    • Pickens
    • Friermuth
    • Gentry (Not. "Muth" but I am really starting to like him)
    • QB: IMO, all are capable to lead this team IMO with a good Offensive line. Yes, even Rudolph.
    Nonetheless, all the skilled position players are going to struggle (or rather not excel) without a decent Offensive Line. That is pretty much fact.

STEELWINDS The East Side Kid

• Like Like x 1
  8. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I would think the average NFL fan is all about the glamour positions. Drafting an offensive linemen in the first round just ain't sexy.

• Like Like x 1
  9. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Hello!

I wasn't implying that you did. I was just highlighting that it was understandable (with our recent success with later round and UDFA guys) that we neglected spending those high end picks on the OL. But like every good heater at the black jack table, our luck has run thin and now we need to spend an early pick or two at the position group.

I agree that we are stacked at other positions. We got there by spending early round picks there (see below)
    • Harris - First round pick
    • Samuels - Not sure who this is? I think you have them confused with someone else
    • Claypool - second round pick
    • Johnson - third round pick
    • Pickens - second round pick
    • Friermuth - second round pick
    We will definitely have to spend high picks on the OL to have a good unit. I agree with you.... It just goes in cycles. If they spend the previous two first round picks on OL, then we would be talking about being nervous about going into the season with Benny Snell and a UDFA rookie at RB and not having the QB of the future on the roster. There will always be a position group that needs the attention. OL is that group right now. It would be other position groups after we spend on the OL

I'd be floored if we didn't spend some high picks in the next two drafts on OL.

10. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    No, but GM's/Management don't generally run the club like an average NFL fan. At least the ones that keep their jobs longer than a year or two.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Yeppers. I was just thinking how excited fans get when their team drafts a QB ( old message board went crazy when we got Ben) RB, or WR. Fans think these positions are where SB's are won. Even any position on the D gets em excited. Took me years to realize the games are decided in the trenches. How great would Brady have been with a terrible O-line year after year?? Any of the 32 starting QB's in the NFL would do damage with a great O-line.

I remember "The Hogs" of those great Redskin teams. Damn if I can remember the QB's name but he said I'd be **** if not for my hogs.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    The Steelers have a good o-line according to him!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  13. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    Almost the exact situation with Flores speaking highly of Bush. He said those things because he had to. Same with Canada here.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    HELL YEAH
    Time to double down on that 80-1 Super Bowl odds right now.
    After we beat Cincy this week with
    280 rushing and 320 passing
    It's gone

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. Ytownsteeler

Ytownsteeler Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2015
    Canada has no choice but to lie because he will be gone after this clown show this year when he can no longer blame aging Big Ben for his crappy offense. My favorite Matt Canada play is the third and one play where the rb lines up ten yards deep and take two seconds just to get the ball as he gets stuffed for a one to two yard loss idiot.

16. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    Tell us you hate this team without saying you hate this team.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  17. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Maybe the struggle of the o-line in the preseason could be a good thing for the steelers after all because it put a huge sense of urgency on this unit since the game against the jags...Just maybe...

• Like Like x 1
  18. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Look no further than the '08 draft. I thought that draft was the best thing since sliced bread since we got RB and WR in first two rounds. In hindsight, Mendenhall was the only player who contributed to the Steelers in that draft.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Ytownsteeler

Oct 2, 2015
    I don’t hate the Steelers. I am a diehard fan since I was 8 and saw the glory years. Went to Latrobe and still have 35 mm film of Lynn swan and stallworth and the rest of the hall of gamers. I live in Florida now but will be going to bengals game during thanksgiving break. My favorite game in person was 2008 afc champ game. Just because I think our offense has been a joke since Big Ben injury and letting bell go, does not mean I hate this team. I will watch every game on Sunday ticket and cheer them on but I don’t have to have blinders on and say the offense is not a dumpster fire because of scheme and offensive line. I saw the disaster in person at Ajax scrimmage which was the old third scrimmage where starters play against starters and it was ugly for any of the QBs.

20. Ytownsteeler

Oct 2, 2015
    You have to admit it is not very smart to line up rb at least seven yards deep when it’s third and one and in a obvious running formation. The d is able to get across the line by the time the rb even gets the ball because he is a mole form qb and line of scrimmage. Canada should be coaching pop Warner with his play calling skills

21. Ytownsteeler

Oct 2, 2015
    After watching bill last night , does anyone think we are even light years away on offense from competing for a super bowl and do you thin Canada is going to take us there

22. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Because a line with new players and a new coach wasn’t firing on all cylinders in preseason?

They look bad now but by week four things could be looking better. Line needs time to gel. If its not any better by then, Tomlin may have his first losing season.

• Like Like x 1
  23. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Oooooooooo! How do you like that!?

• Like Like x 1
  24. TRUCK

TRUCK Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2016
    This is not always the case. Think back to 2003 when Statue Tommy Maddox was getting killed on a regular basis. Many Steeler fans at the time wanted us to trade up in the draft (way up) to get Robert Gallery because we all thought the line was terrible and we needed big investments to fix it so Tommygun had time to launch his deep passes. Well, Big Ben came in with the same line and took us to the AFCCG. His mobility masked any problems the oline had. Now, I'm not claiming our current line is anywhere near the 2003 line talentwise. It's just an example of how Ben's mobility solved the line problem. Last year, Ben was a statue much like Maddox was in 2003. So far, the three QBs have been able to move the ball down the field. If they can establish success, especially with medium and some deep passes, that will force the defenses to stop crowding the LOS and should reduce the stress on the line and open some running lanes for Najee. We certainly need to improve the talent on the oline but it may not be the disaster we're all fearing.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  25. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I was one that was upset We didn't get Robert Gallery.
    I thought getting Big Ben was a Big Mistake.
    Boy was I wrong...., but I don't mind admitting when I am. :thumbs_up: