1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Our offense is overrated

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by bigbenhotness, May 5, 2017.

1. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Bryant was the second best receiver until his one year sabbatical, with a year of rust he may not be the 2 receiver we think he is, so he looks good running in his shorts and catching balls from the ball machine and talking a good game, but we still have to wait and see if he is going to be as good as he say's he is and there is only one way for him to prove it, and thats on the field.......

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't think he'll skip a beat. Any rust he has will be shaken off in preseason. The only thing that will stop Bryant from succeeding is his off field habits.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
  4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Indeed. This is the year that Keith should be able to fully install his defense.

Even if he is still missing that player who can play the "deep hole" in his Cover 2, he now has a player who can not only play as a safety but is also sticky in coverage. Add the fact we also received a gift in a pass rusher circa 2015 and this defensive transformation seems either complete or nearing completion depending on ones viewpoint.

5. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I don't know if this offense is overrated or if expectations are too high.

30ppg is a lot. In the last 5 yrs, only 8 teams have done it. 4 of them just barely.

While it's not out of question for the Steelers to be #1 or #2 in the league in scoring, they will need to do a couple of things they don't have now:

- better red zone performance. This teams kicks far too many FGs. The last two playoff games they regularly stalled in opposition territory. This offense is far more dangerous on the opponents 30 yd line, then the opponents 5. Some of that is on Ben, some on Haley. But it's chronic.

- turnovers on D that set up scores. I don't think you lead the league in scoring without your share of 20-30 yd TD drives.

- a better than average return game to give the offense better starting field position.

The last 3 yrs, the Steelers were 7th, tied for 4th and 7th in scoring. Not bad, not fantastic.

But if you believe they are one of the top 3 offense in the league, they haven't scored like it. So that either makes then over rated or under achieving.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    JuJu hasn't even played a snap in the NFL and he's already #2 behind AB? Some of you people are on some serious crack.

Steelers WRs

Antonio Brown
    Martavis Bryant
    DHB
    Sammie Coates
    Eli Rogers
    Cobi Hamilton
    Demarcus Ayers
    JuJu Smith-Schuster
    Justin Hunter
    Marcus Tucker

AB, Bryant and DHB are locks. And yes people... DHB will make the roster because of special teams and experience. So that leaves 2, maybe 3 spots for WR. JuJu will make at least the practice squad since he's a #2 pick in '17. Looks like some hard decisions have to be made.

7. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    JuJu will not go to the practice squad. He will definitely be on the 53 man roster, unless he's injured and on either IR or the PUP list. The hard decisions will not be hard on JuJu, that's for certain. The team didn't expend a 2nd round pick to put him on the practice squad where he would have to first clear waivers (and probably be claimed by all 31 other teams).

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. coldrolled

coldrolled Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Ben is a problem with consistency for sure. Red zone play calling and ben again needs to focus
    In the red zone.

9. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    JuJu can't go to the practice squad. He would immediately be a free second round pick for Cleveland.

Last edited: May 8, 2017
  10. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Might be based on the games last year when we scored:
    3, 15, 16, 14, and 17
    Just a thought?

11. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    You mean the 3 point game against the Eagles when we didn't have Bell?
    And the 15, 16, 14 point games where Ben was injured and came back too soon?
    And how we had no Bryant all season?

That managed to average 27 points a game outside of that and scored 30 or more points 5 times and had a 43 point game.

Aside from all that? Oh yeah, than yes, they are overrated.

• Like Like x 1
  12. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Not so fast...do you remember that dhb was cut last year and brought back because of bryant suspension. So, he's not a lock

13. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    AB, bryant, juju, rogers, hunter and coates or ayers as the 6th. :cool:

14. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Exactly

You asked "how it could be said". I'm not agreeing with it.

• Like Like x 1
  15. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    Who? It starts with the QB. In the Red Zone Ben is ranked #21 per Pro Football Reference. He is ranked behind Blake Bortles for God's sake! He used to be the come from behind kid. Now he chokes in the Red Zone.

16. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    As Jim Mora would say... playoffs, playoffs, playoffs.

The Steelers offense was abysmal except for one half vs. the Dolphins. Unacceptable considering we have a HOF QB, All Pro RB and WR and offensive line that is better than it was in '08 when we last won a Super Bowl.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    In our last two superbowl wins in our 05 win they averaged 24.8 points per game, in our 09 win they averaged 23.0 points per game during that regular season, in their last 2016 season they averaged 24.4 points per game, it appears they maintain their average over the years but defensively they were not up to par last year...

18. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    The defense played well in the playoffs minus the Patriots game. Considering they had 3 rookies starting... I thought they performed well. It was the offense that crapped the bed. The defense should improve. The offense... I'm not so sure about.

19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Red zone efficiency, been a problem for a long time. Part Ben part coaching.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    scoring is up league wide from those days. we are now tied with buffalo in scoring per game and dropped from the year before when bell was out and bryant was out too. :cool:

21. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i do agree the defense is getting there. we still need a safety added badly to help complete the task. then i will feel a lot better about this group. :cool:

22. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    They ranked 20 in red zone scoring, that's their problem, they move the ball between the twenties easily enough but they really need to work on their red zone offense, barring injuries they should be a lot better inside the 20 this season......

23. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    add the 3rd and short go deep drive killers. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 3
  24. Sojourner

Sojourner Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2015
    If every game this year was only won by one point I couldn't care less as long as we win. Overrated, underrated or constipated it doesn't matter as long as we see the wins.

I think our offense will be fine this year. Will our defense being able to step it up on a consistent basis when the chips are down is the question in my mind.

25. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I have been saying this and wanting one drafted the past 2 years Mac, this is why
    we needed to be proactive in the draft. We have not yet completed all the pieces
    of the puzzle.