1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Our Offense is Our Achilles' Heel

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by burghfan58, Nov 22, 2020.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    most of that was out of the hurry up offense where Ben is running the show. I'm pretty sure any coach in their right mind wouldn't tell the receivers to break your route off before the sticks on 3rd down. Especially 3rd and short. We are 11-0 and execution was lacking not play calling. We had guys open that didn't get the ball in many instances as well. Ben was unloading it quickly in that game and rightfully so in some instances because of the pressure and the center missing blitzes. Others he had a pre snap intention of where he was going. Again, execution was lacking. :cool:

2. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I HATE WHEN I AM RIGHT!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. StillCurtain

StillCurtain Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2018

Only two teams are worse than the Steelers right now they're running the ball and they both have losing records. What keeps us afloat offensively in my opinion is having ben in there and a very young and talented receiving core. But I will admit the clock management and especially the play calling is atrocious at times. Worthless bubble screens to the wideouts and receivers running routes short of the sticks is not going to cut it. I've always wondered too why we can't run to the line of scrimmage on a short yardage situation and do a quick QB sneak. It would probably work better than some of the wrong ways they call.

4. SocalSteeler

SocalSteeler Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2017
    The worst, play calling is atrocious. Copycat league, watch some film Randy, put in a few different plays that can get that "talented" receiving corps open down field. Or does Ben have to get rid of the ball quick on a 2½ yd out every play?

5. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Drops are worse than anything right now. It’s the biggest problem imo

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    I do need to call the plays better though

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. burghfan58

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree! This is where Ben needs to be a leader and have a talk with the offense about being carried by the Defense. We used to be dangerous when Ben had the ball. I don't think teams fear our offense as much as they once did.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. burghfan58

Oct 16, 2011
    Well, with our offense putting our defense's back to the wall all game, it really pushes the "Bend, but don't break" to the limit.

9. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    This thread originally was not correct, but the offense has fallen apart. They had a running game. They were able to throw intermediate passes as well. Part of that is defenses figuring things out, but I really think the issue is Roethlisberger's knees. He is breaking down, and this run of two games on short rest exacerbated the problem.

Knee issues can lead to inconsistency in terms of accuracy and arm strength, which we are seeing of late. It certainly doesn't help that he has to throw the ball so much. Take the second interception tonight. Roethlisberger couldn't gather himself quickly and throw. He had Washington behind the cornerback but threw flat-footed and it came up short. If he leads the receiver there, it is a touchdown. I think some of the shorter throws that are off may be a function of the knees bothering him as he sets to throw. Look at the first interception. If he puts a little more on it and leads Smith-Schuster, that is a reception for a nice gain. He lost some accuracy and velocity on the ball and that turned it into a killer pick-six.

I think the knee problems are also why you aren't seeing Roethlisberger under center very often, which hurts the running game. The Steelers looked their best tonight with him under center, but I think he is having trouble with his knees when he has to crouch for the snap and drop back quickly. Playing so much shotgun takes away much of the offensive playbook, specifically much of the running game and play-action passing. How the hell can an offense barely do any play-action?

Some of the problems on offense can be fixed. Johnson can start catching the damn ball again. They could actually try the occasional pass to McDonald that isn't a screen. They can throw more over the middle. More importantly, they can give Roethlisberger a week off at some point. Rest is the only thing that might help his knees.

Some things cannot be fixed. Ebron plays a big role in this offense, so there are going to be dropped passes. Roethlisberger may heal up a little if they can get him some rest, but he's not going to be 100 percent. Neither is the offensive line. At one point last night, they were using Hawkins and Hassenauer. Both Feiler and Dotson left that game with pectoral injuries. It looked like Dotson tried to play through his. He kept stretching one arm in between plays. Without those two, and I wouldn't be surprised to see both injuries be season-enders, the line is going to be an even bigger weakness going forward. They are missing two starters and two key reserves from the start of the season and it is showing. (Yes, I think the loss of Banner has been a bigger deal than we realized. He can actually run block, something Okorafor cannot do.)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Winner. Injuries ultimately did us in

11. burghfan58

Oct 16, 2011
    I know this won't win favor among most on this forum, but I will keep bringing it back until the offense comes together. We cannot keep putting the defense in situations to "must perform to win games". Our Defense is not an issue, they have gifted the Offense some great field position at times only to come away with no points. When our offense has the ball I have no faith in Ben being able to deliver us a win any longer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    3 games in 12 days! :smiley1:

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    The two sides of the ball seem to never be on the same level. But then again I guess all teams have that problem. I caught flack but I wasn't a fan of bringing Ben back. I hated that the Rooney's fell for it. But then again, change has never been their strong suit. Sure he gives us the best chance to win now but we should have been seriously trying to find a replacement the past couple years not MR. It's gonna hurt when you rip that band-aid off but we shoulda did it sooner.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. burghfan58

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree, it is definitely going to hurt ripping that band-aid off. I sure hope, as everyone does, that we do not have to wait too far in between franchise QBs. Looking back at that 2004 draft, I do believe we got the best of the group. Each had their own style of play. Eli was never in the conversation of becoming a Steeler. Philip Rivers would have been a good fit, but different style of play than Ben. Ironically, as I'm sure people have heard the story, we were close to getting Rivers. When Eli was not happy about going to the Chargers, the Giants GM asked who they would take? If they were not willing to trade Elie for Rivers, the Giants were going to take Ben which means Rivers would have fallen to the Steelers. Would have been interesting. Two gunslingers with a different style of play. Our porous OL over a few years would not have done Rivers any favors, where Ben's bread and butter was extending the play.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Andy Russell

Andy Russell Active Member

Dec 14, 2020
    No question that Ben was the one to take in 2004. He’s been heart and soul for the Steelers but injuries and Father Time have caught up to him. Our problem is that we didn’t have a succession plan in place. A QB should have been picked in the first round sometime in the last five drafts. How good would Lamar Jackson look in black and gold right now?

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    I thought a lot of teams do this no? Sunday Sunday Thursday

17. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    HOW MANY TIMES DOES THE 3 GAMES IN 12 DAYS NEED TO BE

EXPLAINED THAT IT WASN'T THE TYPICAL SUNDAY, SUNDAY,

THURSDAY SCHEDULE?
    AND YES I AM YELLING!!!!! The first game was 4 days, no 7 days, no 9 days, no, and finally ten freaking days! Then five days; then six days.

The schedule screwed the Steelers, first mentally, and then physically, as the injuries mounted. Sorry BBH, not trying to pick on you. Yes, a lot of teams do Sunday (normal), Sunday (normal), Thursday (short week). No team had to do normal, short week, no normal, no abnormal, even more abnormal, short week, and another short week.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  18. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Thanks and no worries, I’m married after all lol

Last edited: Dec 16, 2020
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  19. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    It would be nice to think you’d have a succession plan in place and transition from one great QB to the next but who has really done that ever besides maybe Green Bay when they moved on from Farvre to Rodgers.

If the Steelers had picked a QB in the first round in recent years this board would have gone in to meltdown, Ben was even complaining when they used a third on Mason. I think you have to keep loading the cannon with your top draft picks while you have a great QB. Even the great Bill Belichick is struggling with the transition after Brady and there still doesn’t seem to be a plan there. I wouldn’t be too hard on the team for not having a clear successor in place.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Andy Russell

Andy Russell Active Member

Dec 14, 2020
    At some point Colbert has to do what’s best for the team and not worry about one player’s ego. And I doubt that he’s concerned about people on this board going into meltdown. The sad fact is that Ben is almost 39 with bad knees and a bad elbow and his limitations are the main reason our offence this year is our Achilles’ heal.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  21. burghfan58

Oct 16, 2011
    So here we go again! Putting our defense to the test due to poor offensive play! Ben and Fichtner can write a book on how to make the Bungles look like contenders!

22. burghfan58

Oct 16, 2011
    I keep going back to this thread because I want so badly for it to be wrong. Arggh, the heartbreak is real! :facepalm:

23. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    The offense surprised me in the second half. Checking down to Conner was an important part of that, as well as the downfield throws this board has been mentioning. As encouraged that I am by the second half, one half of offensive football was happening during the 11-game win streak in several games. Their first quarter football still sucks, but I have to give them props for a first down this week. If the offense can put together two halves of football in the same game, the team can play against and beat any team.

24. burghfan58

Oct 16, 2011
    I should change the title of this thread from our offense to Ben. He is the problem.

25. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    The defense ain't exactly takin up the slack either. Clean house, the big money boys gotta go.:cool: