1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Our Offense is Our Achilles' Heel

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by burghfan58, Nov 22, 2020.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Steelers defense much better than Raiders though. If Steelers put up that kind of offense against KC, I think they edge them because the defense will makes some stops that Raiders didn’t.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    As I have posted before, while the PPG for the offense is fine, some of the offensive numbers are trending as average at best, including yards per play on offense where the Steelers are ranked 25th in the league; which is actually in the bottom 25% of the league. I am hoping that there is more in the playbook, but it will still come down to execution. I am hoping the offense comes out super aggressive like they did in the 2005 playoffs. Overall, I am enjoying the heck out of this season.

:herewego!:

3. Blitz

Blitz Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2016
    Achilles was actually a non violent medicine man. Propaganda made him what he is portrayed today by CFR backed mythological historians. OP is woke af.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  4. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Absolutely could win a shootout. Why? Because Ben takes over the offense. When he's not handcuffed by coaching-challenged decision makers, this offense gets dangerous.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I thought our team's main problem was their run defense?

6. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    In watching this game against the Ravens, I stand by my post! Our defense is the only reason we are still in this game!

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    According to most of the people that post here, you’d have thought Tomlin was our Achilles heel.

8. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Better make these receivers be on the juggs machine the rest of the week. Way too many drops. Careless with the ball. Defense needs to finish the game before the celebration begins.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. burghfan58

Oct 16, 2011
    Trust me, I get it a win is a win and I am thrilled that we are 11-0. I just cannot believe how many three and outs we have with all the talent we do have on our offense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. burghfan58

Oct 16, 2011
    Not even close. Our Defense is what keeps our Offense in the game. Our Offense has put often put our Defense's backs against the wall. Fortunately, our defense is good enough to do it, but it sure pushes the "Bend but don't break" theory to the limits.

Just to be clear, you do understand Achilles' Heel is a weakness? Here is Webster's definition just in case:

Achilles' heel

English Language Learners Definition of Achilles' heel

: a fault or weakness that causes or could cause someone or something to fail

11. bettissb40

bettissb40 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011

It takes all 22 players to play as a team and it is not happening now. I guess I should re phrase that and say not in the first half.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. burghfan58

Oct 16, 2011
    If we don't make it to the Super Bowl, I say it isn't Tomlin. I would be getting rid of Fitchner. We need an OF that can put us over the top. I still believe Tomlin is the right man for the job.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  13. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    The offense continues to be a middle of the league offense. There are some stats that are encouraging like being first in fewest sacks, but when the QB gets rid of the ball in two seconds, he is not going to be sacked very often. The offense cannot continue to throw behind the 1st down marker hoping for yards after the catch. I have to give credit that they are using the short passing game as an halfway effective running game, minus the drops. It will be interesting to see how the offense reacts to a team putting nine or ten guys in the box. Saying this, the formula seems to be working; limit turnovers and play good defense. 11-0 how sweet it is.

14. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Fichtner didn't drop all those balls. I doubt it was his call not to kick The FGs. He didn't miss The extra points. The offense moved or should have moved up and down the field without drops and fumbles. Nothing wrong with the play calling. The players need to execute.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Unless our offense finds a running game in this last month of season,
    we are going to struggle against good teams. This has to be figured out fast.

16. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Amazes me that people never really take into consideration the good play of their opponents.. As bad as our offence was in relation to drops you have to give credit to the Raven defense. They played very well and were quick to the ball.. Very often after a steeler reception or drop there were players in the vicinity and on the ball. Real quick defensive play and our drops kept the Ravens in this one.

17. Junebug

Junebug Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2018
    If/when we go up against a good team in the playoffs, we're one and done, imo. Someone watching the Steelers last night for the first time would never believe they were 10-0. Our offense is mediocre at best. Thank heavens for the "D".

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Oh I understand it perfectly.
    What remains to be seen is if you understand the difference between HEAL and HEEL.
    Nice title edit, btw;)

• Like Like x 1
  19. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    The title originally read: "Our offense is our Achilles HEAL"
    He's since edited it.

20. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Our offense is going to have to run with these short YAC type throws, When you drop the ball 8 to 10 times in the game. You have what happened yesterday.

I do not think our running game will improve we do not run block well, after 11 games I don't see much change.

It's been effective been you can't have drops especially at key moments, 3rd down, red zone and game ending.

Johnson and Ebron big culprits yesterday.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. burghfan58

Oct 16, 2011
    Yes, I admit, I had to correct my spelling error.

22. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Just curious, who is allowing RF to continue to not perform well as the OC as so many posters have stated for multiple seasons? That's is where the buck stops (usually).

23. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Some of it is play calling. When it is third down and the team continually runs plays behind the sticks, something needs to be fixed with the offense. I do agree the dropped passes were an issue yesterday.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
  24. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I think the teams on our schedule are all doing the same things defensively as a way to shut down our very talented offense. We were doing fairly well in the running game early on in the season but then its been stagnant for the past several games overall. To me, it looks like the defenses are crowding the line to stop the run and to impeded Ben from the 2.5 second throw within 10-15 yard targets. I believe they also are not afraid of our deep passing attach which allows them to concentrate on the short passing areas and the run. So why are we throwing so quickly and to short targets? I think its due to Ben's survival and in that regard, its working great. He hasn't been sacked in 4 games. However, this problem will continue to escalate as we play down the road and if we can't do better including in the red zone, we won't have to worry about KC in the AFCCG because we won't get there. Especially if we continue to play JV ball (Tomlins words) like yesterday. Just an observation. Defensively, we'll miss DuPree but should still be ok. Special Teams, should have kept Danny Smith isolated. Thats all.

25. SWSteel

SWSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2020
    This off weakness is the commitment to a decent/effective, read not run heavy, attack. OL gets zero push n our backs are average

IF the ol could get movement n open holes our pass game becomes lethal

Ben doesn't stick to it n I can see why, but need to be patient, it's like sawing a tree or branch down, hammer n hammer eventually falls

The other piece is the type of runs they use - the pulling guard n te outs6run isn't working as def see the pulls n know exactly where it's going. Have to come up w a counter to that. Run same pulls, just flip ball to back opposite direction or PA off that n might open it up

Steelers ol not maulers AV N Chuks are both really LT good at pass pro not run blocking. Pouncey n Decastro are better at it, but not great. Feiler is not getting push. Put Dotson in at lg see what happens, IMO. Would help, BUT not solve issues