1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Our O allowed Tebow to get us

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by PWP, Jan 9, 2012.

1. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I know people will say how can you blame the O for how the D got burnt......Well it is really simple we had 2 drives early to get them down big,,,at which point only 1 run for Redman when we reached scoring position ,,,Zero PA passes I do believe,,,Zero screen plays and multiple Empty sets......

The scheme is and always will be the problem until we fix that we will continue to struggle.....As I have always said 1 play doesn't build into the next and the packages are just to telling....Ben needs a Coach who will force him to use PA and will force him to hit the underneath stuff......He needs a Coach who knows how to attack a D that is giving you perfect chances to gain yards and move the ball.....Stop waisting downs on crazy plays such as the Bubble Screen .....

Find a Coach that knows how to use the talent on the Team......Redman showed he has been used incorrectly.....Where would we have been if he used Redman and Mendenhall together more this season???I tell you where at home waiting on a wild card Team......Also Ben has admitted he probably shouldn't have played the San Fran game so shame on BA and Coach T for that one.....

I can't even gather my thoughts I have so much rage for how this season unfolded and I felt it coming all year ,but tried to keep the faith.....

So next Year I will have no Faith if BA returns .......

Oh and to why if we had got up early the CB'S and DB'S would have backed off thus taking away the Big Plays that killed us and the Confidence it gave Tebow.......Anyway I am disgusted as I know we all are....

2. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Some how I just knew you'd be on here blaming Arians for the defensive melt downs. Just throw in world hunger while you're at it. :roflmao: :roflmao:

3. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    O.K. do you understand press coverage ?Do you know why Teams back out of press coverage??Do you know what Teams don't do when they get 2 Scores down ???? Do you know where it is the hardest to throw the ball when the DB backs off???

Answer those then insert how the game unfolded and maybe you can see what is as plain as day....

4. nitrous12

nitrous12 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I think the point is, we played right into their hands by letting our ineptitude for scoring TDs rear its ugly head.

Flip it around and you saw how with a decent lead the Broncos started pinning their ears back.

Our D had to play out of character all game because of trying to contain that option. The key was to take it away from them and you don't do that by stopping it a few times. You do it by stopping it enough and having your offense put them far enough down that they have to go to the air and you then play against that.

5. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Bingo ....We have a winner....Like I stated in the hope we loose to Broncs thread,,,if they get that Zone Read PA pass going it is almost Impossible to stop.....Our D made stops early and gave us a chance to take the Zone Read away,,,I have no doubt had we just scored 1 TD out of the 1st 2 chances we had we would have beat the breaks off of them....

Hell if we had scored just 1 TD instead of a FG at that point and the rest of the game remained the same we would have still Won......BA is a joke a guy at over 7 ypc only gets 19 totes and we only use 2 PA passes the whole game off the running plays we actually ran.....No Screens to the RB......No shovel passes to slow the rush...No TE dumps right behind the OLB'S....No swing passes to the RB'S to slow the rush...

You get the point the same old BA BS......And yes the D did get torched after the O set them up to do so.....BA wants to be a Offensive Guru well he better learn how to protect his QB with play calls,,,use the PA pass,,,and score the damn ball.....He will never be a Guru.....The Guru of BS,,,,yes ,,but as OC no way......

6. BLACKnGOLDsince72

Oct 16, 2011
    You're argument is lame. Hell yes it would have been nice to make things EASIER on the defense by going up a couple of TDs. Just because that didn't happen though it doesn't relieve the defense from executing their responsibilities REGARDLESS of what the score is.

7. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    It is a Team sport and both units must work together....And the O the Broncs run I have run and Coached against it for years......The main goal is to take away the PA pass and free up your DB'S from man and press coverage.....As long as the game is close or lord forbid they have the lead you will be playing man coverage on the outside........

Our D held them early and gave the O a chance to score the ball and change the outcome of the game...Once again our O failed and BA is the leader of that group if you want to call him that....

So yes our D did fail as a whole enabled by our inability to score the ball when we have the chance...The D lost 2 DL and had a FS no where near as good and it cost us because our O set it up to happen.....

On O we had a new RB who was doing more our OL was making nice holes yet we lack the Smarts from our OC to design and call plays to score the ball,,,it is really that simple.....For real I have no doubt I could have scored 1 TD early out of the 2 maybe even both.....Before you think I am tooting my own horn I know a bunch of High School Coaches who could have done the same....

There was plenty of plays that would have worked and we called Zero of them......I can get a HS staff to brak down the film and they could give you at least 50 plays that had a higher chance of success than the ones BA calls......As Tomlin would say 'there is nothing mystical about why we can't score the ball'.........................The answer is very simple we have a very bad OC......

8. moonface

moonface Active Member

Oct 31, 2011
    I new they would get beat and its easy to see why and thats lack of putting up points. I'm shocked how anyone could stick up for Arians.
    Yes failure to execute blah blah blah. But someone has to take the blame for Ben running amok. Case 1. Ben has continual problems with 3rd and long either taking a sack or throwing an int rather than throw it away as should have been on the last drive. Case 2. I wonder whether anyone else has noticed this. At the 30 or 40 of the opposing teams line on 1st and 10 Ben likes to throw the deep ball. I picked it against KC which went for an int. But when they hit the 40 I said to my son here comes the deep ball and sure enough there it went for almost an int in the end zone. The thing is if I can pick it surely opposing defenses can. Arians has no element of surprise we all know what is coming before the play. Loved the 1st and goal hand off to Wallace looked alot like the play the 49s burnt our D on a few weeks earlier. Don't blame our D the offence was in a position to win that game.

9. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Someone tell me...how many play action passes did we throw today. How many? In Contrast, how many empty backfield plays did we run? That stat in and of itself may show just how bad this offensive gameplanning is.

10. one4theotherthumb

one4theotherthumb Active Member

Oct 30, 2011
    BR and BA calls plays like they're playing video games. They get behind early and they will get desperate and abandon any game plan they have. That's why it's so critical to score when we had the chance.

11. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    The offense and defense both stunk it up today. I concur with moonface's observation about ALWAYS going deep when we get inside the 40. It's ridiculous, and I don't know how much is on Arians and on how much is on Ben, because clearly Ben loves it. Another example was the int in the end zone in the San Fran game. Quite frankly, the tying TD to Cotchery was a dumb throw as well, and Ben got really lucky. Ben is never shy about throwing into double coverage in the end zone. Regardless of how much of it is on Ben, it is the OC's responsibility to sell the QB on a different approach. Arians doesn't seem to do that. Rather, he seems to be an enabler of Ben's "all or nothing" mentality. I won't even go into the stupidity of our OC in the running game.

All of that said, our defense lost this game yesterday. It was a matchup of the Broncos' weakness against our strength (#1 pass D) that did us in. Even with the offense stinking it up in the red zone, we should have been able to slog out a 16-10 kind of win against that offense. And, if our defense hadn't of put us into such a hole, we may have been able to run more in the second half.

So, yes, I agree that Arians utterly stinks and needs to clean out his office, but yesterday was a total team loss.

12. traceman

traceman Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Did any of you hear when the commentators said that the Broncos knew when we line-up in a certain formation the wide receiver or bubble screen is coming. That was obvious with how they jumped it all game, and by the way, we were lucky there was some stupid rule on the one to Wallace. It was clearly a fumble of a backward pass.

13. black&gold1969

black&gold1969 Active Member

Oct 25, 2011

TOO FUNNY. I said the same thing. People don't get it at all.

14. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Yeah, I think we have to accept the NFL has become more offensive. While defense still needs to stand up and will be a large part of success, due to the league's evolution, in terms of regulations on defensive hitting, etc., teams will need to put up points to win. Just look at all the other wild card games. Every game was high scoring... especially compared to the points the Steelers put up, on average.

15. BLACKnGOLDsince72

Oct 16, 2011
    What people get is the offense needs improvement be it OC or any other player position (OL) for that matter. What people don't get is using that as an excuse to forgive a defensive meltdown of epic proportions which is what we witnessed yesterday.

16. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    I agree a lot of times regarding Arians, but I think most of this blame for this loss goes to Lebeau. You've got a backup safety playing, and you've played a majority of the game with out any safety help for the corners. Putting 9-10 in the box all day long? After the second quarter, I think I'd look at changing the defensive approach.

If you told me last week, we'd score 23 points, tebow would have 10 completions and we'd hold their running game under 150 total yards, I would have said we'd win. I never expected Denver to be able to put up as many points as they did. Never expected tebow would average 30+ yards per completion.

17. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    bottom line is 23 points should beat the denver broncos with the defense we were suppose to have. that is as simple as it gets.

18. TheWanderer

TheWanderer Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    wanting to blame arians for yesterday's debacle is asinine. forget that ben was playing on one foot, our starting rb was out with a torn acl (how'd the '76 steelers, the greatest team in steelers history - per the rooneys - fare when franco and rocky went down in a playoff game against the colts?), our all-pro center was out, colon was on IR, starks tore his acl, the worst left tackle in franchise history replacing him, a rookie starting, our top wr in a cast . . . let's begin by forgetting all of that . . . forgetting that the ONLY healthy players on our entire starting roster was our tight end, our second receiver (wait, wasn't he 'probable' on the injury report?), and our backup o-linemen . . . let's forget all of THAT . . .

how about some of our guys making plays? cotchery dropped what might have been a td pass that would have had us up 13-0 early. damn arians. we said put stickem on cothcery's hands before you send him out there, not crisco!! at the least, it's a big gain and we're up 9-0. that's about players making plays, not about strategy.

arians made some great calls in this game like the reverse to brown and the goalline reverse to wallace. give props where they're due.

wallace dropped a long pass that would have gotten us in fg range. we got nothing from that possession.

players need to make plays.

our defense was the abomination today. we got scorched by the 31st ranked passing team in the league. it was absolutely embarrassing!

19. Cru Jones

Cru Jones Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    IMO the only position that was solid all night was special teams... The offense & defense had their moments, but neither played great and made way too many mistakes. Turnovers, dropped passes, and sacks on the O. Way too many deep pass were completed on the D and there was not enough pressure on the QB.

Harrison said it best... Denver played good enough to win, Steelers played bad enough to lose.

20. Aerosteel

Aerosteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    The O is to blame - really? Our O is nothing to brag about, but that was the worst defensive performance by our team in my memory. 29 points and 447 yards given up to the Broncos? We let them average 8.1 yards per offensive play! Over 30 yards per completion for Tebow! Anyone who says our D played like anything other than :bscow: is delusional.

21. colsteveaustin

colsteveaustin Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011

Spot on assessment.

22. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Lets be honest here though PWP is right about a lot here and some of you guys just aren't letting yourselves see it. The team and in alot of ways the fans went into this game expecting the defense to be what they have been in the past. It was expected that they would be the dominate force in the game and a lackluster approach on offense wouldn't matter because no one runs on the Steelers so that means Tebow has to beat them. You can see it in the first two possession just as PWP is pointing out. They went in knowing that Ben was barely at 60% and let him play, knowing he couldn't get everything he wanted on some of the throws, they didn't do anything to lessen his workload or help him to make a quick release. Which was fine for alot of fans on here because hey no way Tebow beats this defense. No way the defense gets toasted, bend don't break. The offense can play crappy the defense will keep them in the game. Well that was the wrong approach. You need to make the most of every opportunity because defenses can get beat even those coached and lead by Dick Lebeau. Even the mighty Steelers defense can be beat. Get over it.

23. harristotle

harristotle Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    You're spot on. It's easy to blame the side of the ball that lost the game (the defense), but when you step back and really look at the complexities of the game you start to appreciate what PWP is saying.

24. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree with a lot of the points here and I have been trying to say the same things to people I know. Forget stats. The Steelers offense absolutely kills momentum. It seems that the offense gets backed out of field goal range as much as it settles for field goals and leaves points on the field that the D could cover for in 2008 but cannot do now. Wallace is a blazer but if he's covered, he's covered and more often than not, when he's covered the underneath guys are wide open but Ben chunks it deep anyway. Bill Walsh used to say that he didn't hate big plays but he would not waste downs trying to get them either. Ben and Arians (I'l believe he's gone when I see it) need to learn that philosophy.

25. BLACKnGOLDsince72

Oct 16, 2011
    No issue with the defficiencies he pointed out and I'd even agree with some of the points he made. Why not just add it all to one of the many existing "fire Arians" threads though ? Creating a post to further villify Arians by saying he was responsible for the defensive meltdown is just plain silly. My god the Chiefs beat the Broncs the week before 7 to 3. That offensive explosion of 7 points the Chiefs had really helped take a load off their defense didn't it ? Sorry but some of you guys just aren't letting yourself see it. ;)