1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Our Free Agent Situation

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TarheelFlyer, Dec 28, 2011.

1. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    QB - Leftwich - who I think will be back, Dixon - I think he is let walk, Batch - Don't know what to think here, my guess is he will come back if we will have him, even as the #3.

RB - Mewelde Moore - do they resign him, or do they hope B. Batch is the answer here. Not signing him opens a spot for Batch and Dwyer to both be on the roster. Issac Redman is a Exclusive Rights FA who I expect we bring back.

WR - Mike Wallace is Restricted. Boy that will be a big contract. Jerricho Cotchery is UFA. Do you think he comes back?

TE - David Johnson is Restricted. I see no reason he doesn't come back.

OL - Trai Essex. Max Starks. Dorian Brooks - exclusive rights. Ramon Foster - restricted.

DL - Aaron Smith and Chris Hoke. I think these guys both end up retired. Steve McLendon - exclusive rights.

LB - No one. This actually surprised me. Farrior could still retire, but if not, we wouldn't necessarily need something in the draft.

CB: Keenan Lewis is restricted. He is brought back as he has really stepped up IMO.

S: No one.

P/K: Sepulveda. I don't think he is back. Kapinos is fine to be back IMO. Our PK could be replaced by a UFA. There are some good ones out there.

Others in danger of not being back:

Ward - If he retires. As a role player, I think he will come back unless we win the SB.
    Colon - Injuries and all.
    Kemo - Too much money for that.
    J. Scott - If we draft a OT, and Colon, Starks and Gilbert are all back, Scott will be out.
    Hampton - This would be a money/age issue. Nothing more, nothing less.
    LB Depth Guys - Ivy, etc. any of those guys could be gone. I am talking guys at like 8/9 on th depth chart.
    McFadden - I don't see him back next year at all. Brown and Allen will get all those snaps.
    W. Allen - Cromartie Smith is getting a chance to take his spot on the team. Audition man...audition. Or we could draft someone.

2. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Thanks for the info. We're going to lose some guys but looking at the list, it could be worse.

3. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    I'll comment on this later when I have more time but I just wanted to say Dorian Brooks hasnt been on the team since cuts were made at the start of the year. And just outta curiosity whats the link for this list?

Edit: Also Aaron Smith has 1 more yr left on this contract.

4. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    wallace cotchery and starks are the only free agent i would care

5. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Yep we need them 3 the rest cya

6. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    When you come right down to it, we are in really good shape with no big-money decisions to make on UFAs. I would give Wallace the maximum tender (I think it's a 1st + 3rd?), and try to sign a longer term deal. Ideally we'd be able to work out the deal before we risk losing him because I would much rather keep him than get someone else's 1st and 3rd round picks. I would also give Keenan Lewis a 1st round tender, not because I think someone would give us a 1st rounder for him, but because I don't want to lose him just when he's getting it together. I think we'll be able to keep Cotchery at a reasonable price. I would be pretty conservative with Starks - meaning no big payday. He seems to keep himself in much better game shape when he doesn't have the security of a long term contract, and I think we are the only real market for him in the offseason.

At kicker, I would like to pursue Jay Feely. Of all of the UFA kickers, he's the one that I think would be the best for field goal kicking and kickoff depth. Keep Kapinos. I would also look to add 1 or 2 upgrades on the O-line, which wouldn't necessitate big deals - I'm not looking at guys like Carl Nicks or Ben Grubbs, but rather 2nd tier guys (although I would pay decent money for Grubbs when you consider that getting him would both strengthen us and weaken Balt).

7. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i agree with ya about starks. i would also have a weight clause in there. we have gone through this weight problem with max before. essex may be another guy that i consider in that same fashion. if he's serious about dropping some weight and coming in in better shape. he's a different player when he does this. watching his interview with varley on the main site, he touched on how he took playing here for granted until he wasen't asked to come to camp at first. he could be a decent player if he gets it together with his weight. he is versitile. i would like one guard for kemo and a good LT prospect. a safety prospect is needed for will allens spot. i do think we draft another receiver too. how about kendell wright and lemichael james in 1-2? that should be enough weapons for ben to play with. :hehehe: :hmmm: :rawk: :cool:

8. chuckie_os

chuckie_os Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    After looking @ our free agents, I say we let go everyone but Wallace, Cotchery, Starks,johnson, leftwich and batch (at minimum price)...

if we pick up people in free agency... maybe we pick up a jerious norwood type of player (can use both on kickoff's and running back) if we don't keep johnson, i would love for us to get maybe ballard from NYG....but OL is where we really need it and i think we will go after maybe grubbs and/or pick someone up in the draft...as far as D.. I think we are ok (but im leaning more towards the idk are we type of ok) and if we pick up anyone I say we should go for a 2nd tier lb like one of the henderson brothers from Min or a 2nd tier safety like babinenux or hope from ten.

9. Steeldefense08

Steeldefense08 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I would let Johnson go unless he stays for a cheap price. I see no benefit in him.

10. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I truly believe the Steelers can be players in the upcoming draft and Fa
    period. I think they will purge alot of players( big money players) from this current roster
    and be creative to address our needs. OG, ILB, NT, Safety,

11. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i'd sure like to believe that ward, but they haven't shown much of that since colbert and MT have been in charge together. :cool:

12. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Good Post. I've been looking into this a little each week as time permits and here some things I've found, A few you've missed and some added info just for talking purposes.

QB-Lefty will probably be resigned- dixon is gone as is Batch most likely. We'll draft a QB after the 4th rd and will sign either another vet to compete or an undrafted FA for a camp arm.

RB-Moore is probably gone- they really like B. Batch- I. Redman is a RFA and 2013 is Mendys final contract year( @650K) as is J. Dwyer. Don't forget we still got Clay also. We may draft another RB around rd 3-4 if we don't resign mendy to long term.

WR-Agree that Wallace will be a big contract. They probably will really want to get him signed since both Sanders and Brown final contract year is 2013. So is Battles and he's cheap next year @ 1.03 mil. Jerricho C. should be resigned. Ward is expensive with a 4 mil cap hit next two years. Could he be a cap casaulty if we're pressed hard enough?

TE-They'll give him a one year deal- they really like saunders.

OL-Jon scott and Doug Legursky are also UFA- ( I didn't see where Legs has been extended and if he hasn't he will be) J. Meredith is a RFA & J. Malecki ( PS ) is UFA. They'll resign Essex ( to the dismay of many), He's just versatile coming off the bench. Starks will be cut again if his weight goes back up. Kemo has a cap hit of 3.233 mil so he'll be gone.Colon is FA in 2013, his cap hit next year is 4.5 mil. He'll be back but if he gets hurt look for them to cut him loose. We should draft a OG in rd 1 or 2.

DL- Agree both retire, though hoke may be back if his neck is okay. Hampton's final contract year is 2013 and his cap hit is 4.89 mil. He could be a cap casualty if we're hard pressed but i doubt it. Hoke must really be healthy and solid for that to happen. They'll re-sign McLendon.

LB- I really disagree with you here. ILB is a draft need requiring a 1st or 2nd rd selection. Though no-one is a FA this year Lets look deeper. Timmons has shown flashes of greatness but mostly over his career an avg ILB with lousy coverage skills. Both Foote & Farrior last contract year is 2013- ( next year ). Stevenson- will be a RFA next year. We seriously need an upgrade and we need it now!!

CB-K. Lewis is RFA but Gay is UFA. He's played really well this year and with McFadden's cap hit at 2.5 mil next year in his final contract year he may be gone. We'll need to resign Gay to a 3yr deal until Brown and C. Allen push him to the bench. Cromartie-Smith is also a RFA.

S-Ryan Mundy is a RFA and needs re-signing- We have Troy and Clark for a few years but they're aging and are one head blow/suspension away from hurting our backside backfield. Drafting S Barron in the 1st rd wouldn't be bad but I really want an ILB or OG.

P/PK- Sep is better and his injury is easliy fixed and healed. He'll be in camp for competition. Shaun should also get camp competition though he is signed for a few years.

Cajun-