1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Our defense vs top ranked

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by bigbenhotness, Nov 6, 2017.

1. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Decided to do my flawed model of ranking defenses lol. I chose teams that are top 4 in points per game and yards per game.

points per game:
    1. Jacksonville
    2. Pittsburgh
    3. Minnesota
    4. Carolina
    5. buffalo

yards per game
    1. Carolina
    2. Denver
    3. Jacksonville
    4. Minnesota
    5. Pittsburgh

obviously Denver and buffalo were both not in top 5 so the rankings will go for Carolina pit jax and Vikings.

What I did was rank the offenses they played in ppg, and ypg. Added the total of all the offensive ranking ppg's and divided by 8. Did the same with ypg faced. Obviously the lower the points the better.

steelers:
    17.5 ppg faced
    20.5 ypg faced
    19 total

jacksonville:
    15.75 ppg faced
    19.25 ypg faced
    17.5 total

vikings:
    18 ppg faced
    15.5 ypg faced
    16.75 total

panthers:
    16.875 ppg faced
    15.625 ypg faced
    16.25 total

Now I will add both ypg and ppg and divide by two, to come up with total defense metric based on offenses they have faced. Now lets add in the turnovers to complete this.

Jax: 3rd in takeaways
    pit: 17 in takeaways
    vikings: 21
    carolina 26

now sacks:
    1. jax 35 lol damn
    2. Carolina 29
    3. dallas 27 wtf dallas? your d aint that great
    4. pit 26
    8. Minnesota 24

If I had to rank overall defenses it would definitely be:

1. Jacksonville= true dominant defense, they are killing it across the board.
    2. Carolina = only weakness is turnovers
    3. Vikings = I think they are slightly better than us
    4. Pittsburgh = I feel we will be 2-3 at years end. Jax will take the crown.

That is my analysis, take care everyone.

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Wow that's a lot of work and a lot of info nice job. So it would be cool to see who your top offense's are and see if you have any of the 4 there.

So with these numbers we could see a Jax/Panther SB :eek: weren't they expansion teams the same year? That would be something......of course I am still partial to seeing the steelers there!!!!!! lol

• Like Like x 1
  3. dd63

dd63 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2017

^^^
    What you wrote

What I understood
    vvv

Word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad

Steelers defence is pretty good but not as good as Jacksonville's, Dallas' defense isn't as good as the stats say, Cleveland still sucks

word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad word salad

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  4. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    What’s hard to understand lol.

5. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

word salad lol

6. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Out of the top 4 we are 4th best in my eyes lol. But a legit 4, not skewed by facing all terrible offenses.

That is what I meant to say

• Like Like x 3
  7. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I'll take the 16.4 PPG allowed any day of the week.

You do that your winning football games in today's NFL, where most all the rules benefit the offense side of the ball.

• Like Like x 1
  8. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    This monstrousity that is now Jacksonville has been years in the making; 2015 if anything. Defense wins championships and Jacksonville has the pieces in place to make some serious noise should they win their division.

I stated this at the beginning of the year that Jacksonville would be a force to be reckon with. Now, they have officially put the conference on notice.

With Leonard Fournette and that defense, look for Jacksonville to make a playoff run. Heck, based on what BigBenHotness has stated, Jacksonville might just be that team to do to New England what the New York Jets did to them seven years ago in Gillette.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    You called Jacksonville to the best D before the season and you were right.

8 more games though

10. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Remaining eight;

Los Angeles Chargers

Cleveland Browns

Arizona Cardinals

Indianapolis Colts

Seattle Seahawks

Houston Texans

San Francisco 49ers

Tennessee Titans

Los Angeles, Seattle and Tennessee I can see them having some issues. The others I am not too concerned about.

Jacksonville, in all actuality, matches up with every team within their final eight based on the personnel they have on defense. They can beat you with speed or power. There really does not seem to be a glaring weakness to the Jaguars defense now with the aquisition of Marcell Dareus.

• Like Like x 1
  11. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Jax does have a good team, but it's very rare to win the SB without a star QB. The odds are against Jax

12. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    True but ridiculous defense with a top 10 offense. They can very well knock those pats for us

13. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Jacksonville D reminds me of the Denver's '15 D... but better. Damn good.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Even with 5 turnovers, we passed for 300, rushed for 70, and had 31 minutes T.O.P.

If it weren't for our blatant mistakes, that game was ours. Their D is solid, but I'm not as impressed as some around here. We can beat that defense without firing on all cylindars.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Good point.

Pretty much the case for anyone we play.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i'm so confused. are we good or not?:smiley1::cool:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  17. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    to be honest their D relies on turnovers, which is why they rank 3rd. Meaning they rush the passer well, which causes bad throws and their secondary are ball hawks. So they won't stifle you, but they will harass you into making a mistake. Then they feast.

Elite offenses will probably get past them.

18. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    I like all your flawed posts.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  19. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    I am not a wordsmith nor smart enough to provide a metric system that holds merit on my grading system, but I wanted to just point out our defense is where it needs to be. Not the best, but sure as hell not an inflated by the numbers defense. They are who they are, a damn good D that needs some offensive spark to get to #7.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Indubitably

21. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    If they had a real QB, I'd be more concerned about Jacksonville making noise in January. However, if they have go play in a hostile stadium against a team that can run the ball and stop the run, they're in trouble. They stop the pass, but their run defense is suspect. Their offense needs to be able to run the ball to have success. I feel VERY confident in our ability to win a rematch in January playing our typical run-heavy offense and playing more disciplined run defense. We have the personnel to beat them by running/stopping the run as long as we execute the way we're capable of. Force Bortles to the air (especially outside in January), and watch the Jacksonville offense crumble.

• Like Like x 1
  22. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    yeah, I agree. Rams took it to them because they forced Jax to play from behind. Great offenses can beat Jax, unfortunately we are not great lol.

I do feel good about the rematch, vs lets say playing New England.

23. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I think our personnel match up well with Jax, as long as we execute. Our run blocking is starting to gel, and I could see a 30+ carry 150+ yard day for Bell against them in January. We have the personnel to be an excellent run defense, as long as we avoid the correctable mistakes that we made earlier in the year (missed tackles, gap control gaffs, etc). I doubt that Fournette would have anything close to the performance he had against us earlier in the year (just like Ajayi last year). If we execute our red zone plays, I think we'd beat them comfortably. If not, I could see a painful 16-10 kind of win. Either way I think we win, it's just a matter of how stressful the game is for us.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Don’t forget Gilbert and tuitt mixed in

25. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

As it stands currently, here are the top five teams in the NFL in Rushing Yards allowed per game.

1.) Philidelphia

2.) Carolina

3.) Minnesota

4.) Cleveland

5.) Denver

*** Pittsburgh currently comes in at number 14.

Here is another key statistic; opponents rushing yards per attempt. Here are the top five.

1.) Cleveland

2.) Denver

3.) Minnesota

4.) Tenessee

5.) Philidelphia

*** Pittsburgh currently is 26th.

Let us now take a look at the most important rush defense statistic; Opponents Rushing Play Percentage (an estimate on how often teams rush against these defenses).

1.) Philidelphia

2.) Dallas

3.) New England

4.) Carolina

5.) Minneosta

Pittsburgh is in the top 10 at number 7.

All that being said, only New England would have a good shot to down the Jaguars in Gillette. However, within the same vein and, unlike any other team in the league, Jacksonville has made a living of simply rushing four to harass any Quarterback thus far. Compound the issues that Brady has had this season holding onto the football longer and a possible showdown between Jacksonville vs. New England would have some 2010 vibes of when the young upstart Jets did the improbable.

Currently speaking, Pittsburgh does not have the assets to neutralize Jacksonville's ground attack. However, there is one key statisitc that Team Rankings does account for; last three games.

Here is where Pittsburgh ranks in the aforementioned categories, starting with rushing yards allowed.

1st

Opponents Rush Yards Per Attempt.

3rd. Cleveland is still number one while Carolina is 2nd.

Opponents Rushing Play Percentage.

1st.

This does weave quite the revenge factor for Pittsburgh as Mike Tomlin has historically had second half surges in the past. Coupled with the fact that Pittsburgh's remaining schedule does line up favourably for them, all signs point to a win much like last season against Miami.

Within the same token however, consider this; Suppose we fall against New England but lock up the 2nd seed and Jacksonville clinches the 5th or 6th. By rule, best second plays weakest seed but second seed plays strongest remaining. Given New England's odd struggles at Gillette this season in addition to Jacksonville adding a much needed piece in Marcell Dareus , who can come along quickly, I personally see no reason as to why Jacksonville cannot make noise.

As I stated intially, the acquisition of Marcell Dareus alone solves a laundry list of Jacksonville run defense issues by himself. Adding that front seven with that back end along with Bortles' improved play screams the 2010 New York Jets when Mark Sanchez did it.

Essentially Elvis, all I am stating is that the conference has been put on notice. That defense with an ever improving offensive line and Blake Bortles and Leonard Fournette will cause serious issues later on in the season and possibly the playoffs.

• Like Like x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1