1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Our Defense Moving Forward

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by STEELWINDS, Dec 29, 2020.

1. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Everyone.

As we all know, our Defense has had its share of injuries over the season. Obviously, we know that Bush and Dupree are gone for the year. We cannot do anything about getting them back for this season. Making matters even more difficult, over the past month or so, the Defense has been very erratic with the absences of Williams, Spillane, Haden and Nelson. HOWEVER, now we are coming back around to being at “full-strength” as best as possible on Defense.

We have Haden and Nelson back. Great! We should be getting Spillane and Williams back before or right when the playoffs start. Even better! That will be huge as well. In fact, if Spillane and Williams are ready to go this week, IMO, then they should definitely play against the stains. They need to shake off any rust and get re-acclimated to “playing” the game of football. Going cold into the first playoff game is not good for them or the Defense as a whole. Even if they play for a set amount of snaps this coming game that will be beneficial. They need playing time.

BTW: Does anyone here know the status of Spillane and that of Williams?

Moving forward, I am seeing a potential “revival” of sorts in our Defense. They took care of business in the last game as they pitched a “shut-out” in the second half to help close it out. That was huge! Now, throw in the Offense's "awakening" from their slumber in that same second half and maybe things are starting to make that “Dime Turn” which I have been talking about here.

Sometimes, "turnarounds" just come out of nowhere folks as I have said. That win the other day was definitely "a tale of two halves". Hopefully, we are “coming out” of that skid. And again, this was done with a recently returning Haden and Nelson and still no Spillane or Williams. Arrows pointing up as I am seeing this for our Defense.

IMO, there is still enough quality talent on this Defense, minus Bush and Dupree, that this Unit can still wreck some big time havoc.

STEELWINDS
    The East Side Kid

Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
  2. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    This seasons once great defense has been decimated by injuries in multiple key positions with even back ups becoming injured and leaving way too many holes for them to be dominant as they would have been with everyone healthy. Offense will definitely have to play better than they have been to make any noise in the playoffs. Now that is an obvious point by far, I still think when Spillane comes back he will make an impact. Highsmith seems to be turning the corner and Heyward and Tuitt are still a force to be reckon with. Secondary has been playing with a purpose lately.

Spillane should be back next week according to MT's press conference today.

• Like Like x 1
  3. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019

Hey 86WardsWay.

Yes, once again we cannot replace Bush and Dupree. However, IMO, we were surviving the Bush/Spillane situation relatively well. Then Spillane gets hurt (ugh!). However, I think most of us were pleasantly surprised by Spillane's play. He has shown that he can be effective in that spot. What he lacks in the physical gifts that Bush possesses he makes up for (in part) with smarts and a technical soundness for the game. I am not saying that he is a complete "plug and play" for Bush. Nonetheless, I think that some (maybe most) here feel that he has held down the spot very well prior to his getting hurt.

I just have a feeling that if Spillane can pick back up where he left off, that is going to be huge for this Defense. With Spillane's returning and the time that Williamson has been able to get under his belt, this should help us going forward. Again, we know that Bush cannot be replaced but admittedly, did we see a great drop off in Bush's spot when he went out? My belief is no. Since then we have added a more athletic ILB in Williamson. So, just maybe, we can get the best of both worlds with a Spillane/Williamson combination.

Now, we have to see how the Dupree/Highsmith situation plays itself out. If Highsmith can assimilate into cohesively playing WITH the other ten guys around him then I think he will be fine and thus we will be fine. He should not feel as though he has to fill Bud’s shoes all by himself. He does not have to be a “Lone Ranger”. Given his small work sample, Highsmith has performed admirably. He has shown some nice flashes of athleticism. I liked the draft pick.

I think Highsmith, like Spillane, realizes that he just has to play within his assignment. Hold “his ground” kind of what like Edmunds has been doing. We know where he stands amongst the starting Secondary. Nonetheless, guys like Edmunds, Spillane, and Highsmith seem to understand the Cog/Whole Machine concept. To play within the Defensive Unit/Scheme as a whole. To "assimilate".

There are still enough great athletes left from the starting 11 on Defense from week #1 of the season that can still hold this unit together and make them formidable. IMO, Spillane, Highsmith and Williamson will be able to carry their own weight as long as the other guys around them continue to play disciplined and as a cohesive unit.

STEELWINDS
    The East Side Kid

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    If the D gets healthy we got a shot. I'm liking Vince and Avery together. Spillane can help if we face a run game like the Titans again.

Highsmith will only improve and I really like what I saw from Cassius Marsh against Colts.

Just got to stay healthy and Covid-Free...

5. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Don`t know how much tread is on the tires for Haden. Like many, we have to make choices of who we keep and I think Dupree will be gone.

6. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I'm liking a Williamson Spillane combo unless Tomlin is rushing Vince.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    The return of a great Steelers Defense will depend on what the team thinks of Justin Layne as he is the X Factor for that side of the field moving forward. I seriously doubt Pittsburgh wants to take Haden's $15+ Million Cap Hit come next season. If anything, not just Mason Rudolph but I would also consider resting Joe Haden and placing Layne out there for the finale as Layne's progress thus far has been average.

Time to see what he can do. Should he finish out strong, that will be a good sign moving forward. Should he fail, add Cornerback to the list of needs come the 2021 Draft. Do not be surprised either if Kevin Colbert and/or Art Rooney II indirectly imply either via statement after the season as well.

8. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Interesting decisions to say the least next year... Is it Bush/Spillane...Bush/Williamson...Bush/Williams...

You could make an argument for any of the 3... I'm thinking they'll want/try...To keep 3 out of 4...

Bush and Spillane are in, So It comes down to Williamson or Williams...

I would like to see Bush/Spillane with some Williamson mixed in...As much as I hate to say it, Let VW walk... He's getting up there and the salary is climbing...

There's going to be so many guys cut/not resigned next year..

Bud
    VW
    Haden
    Williamson
    Alualu
    Big Al
    Feiler
    Pouncey ( should be, but Won't )
    Ben?
    Banner
    Conner
    McDonald/Ebron
    Watt ( not TJ )
    Hilton

Damn.... That's a lot of GOOD players!

9. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    BEST case scenario by far...We win it all...Ben rides off into the sunset...

We sign a Fitzmagic /Mariota stop gap type for a year or two... Obviously draft one 1st round this year or next...

Hope with the money saved that we can hang in there, and there isn't a total rebuild...Then in a couple years, Back to being elite!