1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Our Db's need to do better

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by PWP, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Lower body, not considered significant.

He's doing well, they have him practicing slot and outside.

Bouchette said he is among the rookies impressing the most.

2. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Thanks Blast. Any other details on the injury? He missed a fair amount of time at UT with a knee. I think it was his junior year.

3. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I look at it like this, maybe a hand-full of teams has the depth and talent of receivers we have. That being said they might be taking there lumps but it will only help them when they are going up against the Julie Jones's, DeSean Jackson's, and Dez Bryant's of the world.

4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Hammy. Just read it here. Dropping like flys, havent even played a game yet.

Injury Report:
    It seems with every practice, the list of non-participants gets longer. James Conner(shoulder) did not dress in pads, but he was participating in position drills, running routes and catching, which is a good sign of his condition improving. Cameron Sutton (hamstring), Landry Jones(abdominal), Senquez Golson(hamstring),Bud Dupree(unknown), Ryan Shazier (unknown) and Mike Mitchell(foot/ankle) all remained out.

5. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I agree I don't like the range or their style of play ...I don't see the group as a ball first group, i think they are hit first group...I still don't think the CB'S can play man well enough to inspire the Coach to dial up more man coverage ..

I know the DC wants to play more man and we need to, but do we have the skill to do it ?

6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    I think it is more that the DC wants the team to be able to play man in any given situation.

Brady had success in the AFC game, in part, because he kept changing formations until he got the defense to change to a scheme where he knew what they were going to do. If the Steelers can run man or zone out of any formation, that will make it harder for Brady to predict how to attack the defense.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    A little advice from the greatest CB ever can't hurt.

• Like Like x 1
  9. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I imagine Mel was saying "and then you just grab them by the ankles and tie them up and the judges give you a score based on how quickly and efficiently you do it" and then Artie was saying "and you get to wear that cool hat and everything???"

10. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    No. Our Pass Rush needs to do better.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    The Steelers Safety position has zero picks so far in camp...The D has given up a total of 32 TD'S to 6 picks ... 4 of those thrown by first time NFL QB'S forcing balls with bad throws and bad reads ...So that is not good to me it's like a 2nd. and 3rd. string unit beating our DB'S and our Safety position must be weak at reading and reacting because again they have zero picks against a lot of new blood passers..

As you elude to pressure it's the coverage as to why we can't get pressure,guys get open to fast for the pressure to get there ...As I always state until we can stop the quick throw and at least make the QB think about testing the Safeties we will not get more pressure ......

12. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    If this defense cant beat the QBs geno smith, josh johnson and rookie davis webb friday then it wont get much better for them the rest of pre season.....

13. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    So Rod Woodson, Troy P, and Ike Taylor made Lloyd, Peezy and Silverbacks careers? I disagree.

There isn't much you can do about three step drops except hope your DT's and DE's are lightening quick, or consistent blitzes up the middle. That and tackle the catch immediately, and hope your LB's can lower the boom and knock the ball loose. The rules are just not in the defense's favor.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    If you have the pass rush, you can live by tight man defense. If you don't have the pass rush, and you play tight man, you will get beat deep all day.

15. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I think they did indeed help make those guys ..JH is still a stud at his spot ..I think Dupree is above average as well...Cam and Tuitt have good skills as well IMO.....So I think if the DB'S can play at a higher level those guys can get steady and constant pressure ....

We need to be able to play tighter on the outside and we need Safety play that can read and react and break on balls quickly ...As you stated the rules are not suited for allowing the catch and making the big hit, we need to change our approach with go get the ball guys and this will force QB'S to hold the ball a bit longer ....If they do I think our front guys will shine ....

The bottom line to me is I think we have the talent up front , but we don't on the back ..No picks from the entire Safety group supports that IMO ...