1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Our Db's need to do better

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by PWP, Aug 1, 2017.

1. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/08/steelers-training-camp-statistical-recap-one-one-drills/

Let 3 WR'S go perfect today and our secret weapon Ross got toasted today ...Line of the day to me on day 4 recap is DHB burst away from Ross Cockrell to make the grab..Artie can't really handle AB which is to be expected but he will be asked to Cover some AB type WR'S...

I hope the staff and the front office are watching this closely and still intend on getting some better DB options in as soon as they can....

I still contend that Burns will make a great #2 CB and Ross can be adequate as a nickle or dime guy ...These drills speak to the ability of our guys to play 1 on 1 and it shows we need a better 1 on 1 CB as quick as we can get him..

2. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I agree PWP, they all need to step up huge. Here is keeping my fingers crossed.

3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    maybe dixon and ducre should start.:rolleyes::cool:

4. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Just as a note of caution... in the article you've linked to, Koroza says he only watched the WR/DBs on one day, and that the verdict of who won was his subjective view.

With such a small sample, what you're seeing here is confirmation bias. Note that Tuitt's stats are also appalling here - pretty much because the exercise he's doing is weighted in favour of the OL.

Obviously there are other recaps going around that may add more fuel to the fire, but from what I've seen Labriola seems to have had nothing but praise for what Burns is doing in camp.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    When I read that the "line of the day" to you was that DHB did something I literally went in to an actual state of shock. As of this moment, I might actually be catatonic. I've never felt such an overwhelming sense of stupefied cognitive paralysis as I do as of this moment. It's really just a lot to take in all at once. Some things you just don't see coming, ya know?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  6. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Exactly. This was what I had read about Burns as well

7. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

Don't you know you're not supposed to argue with supercoach? After all he developed an offensive system to defeat the wide 9 and proved beyond all reasonable doubt how redman was going to average 5,6,7 yards per carry.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    http://www.steelers.com/videos/vide..._in_pads/76ac7bf3-8a5b-4298-ba27-5241adc46efc

tunch seems to think artie is doing well. text book in fact. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  9. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
  10. coldrolled

coldrolled Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2014
    The Browns have dozens of draft picks from the past 2 years... They also have a UDFA Corner at 6'1 190 playing well..
    Is this guy a pickup after the cuts.. Chance Stribling? The Browns can not keep all of their players..

11. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Yeah everything I've read is Burns is really holding his own so far.

12. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I think our DB's will be good this year. I just have a gut feeling that Sean Davis is going to turn into an exceptional football player sooner rather than later. Artie seems like he could be a real player too. Remember these guys have each only played one season (where they both only played a partial season, becoming starters as the year progressed).

Gay was rated as one of the top slot corners in the league last year by PFF and we even invested a second round pick in golson (who unfortunately has been bit by injuries). Not to mention the signing of sensabaugh and the draft choice Allen. We've invested pretty heavily in the secondary recently. We should start seeing some of that return this year and next

• Like Like x 1
  13. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I think Artie is doing good as well, if good is what we needed.I contend we need at least 1 lock down CB who can take on #1 WR types.. I think Artie gives it his all , but doesn't have enough 1 on 1 skills to be a #1 CB in man coverage ..The entire staff has eluded to we need to be able to play more man coverage and as such we need a better man coverage CB IMO...

A lot of x pros also think we are 1 CB away from being able to play defense at a high level..I simply see it in a similar way and still believe our lack of great DB play will be this Teams down fall again if not addressed more before the season starts..

14. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I think we would see return if we drafted the types of CB'S that we need...I don't think we draft guys who can play man at a high level and it always shows up in the big game..I also don't put a lot of stock in PFF and the way they rank our DB'S . Most of the time our DB'S have been in zone which they play fairly well, but we need to be in more man coverage and I contend they are very poor at that from what I see....So they can play with help and not so much without help, this makes the D weak IMO...

I would Love to see all our CB'S rankings in man coverage ,I think those #'s would paint a dismal picture...

15. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I make bold predictions and like most some are close to right and some are more wrong..But Redman did make the Team and he was playing well until he was hurt ..DHB did make the Team and he has played well when targeted..And yes the approach I eluded to to beat the wide 9 is the very one most Teams employ to beat it..

So no I am not a Super Coach ,but I do know how to attack certain schemes and fronts, 30 years of Football will give you some perspective on such things I do believe in my perspectives and I welcome any debate ...

16. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    But how many times did they get spun around?

17. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Who?

18. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    A better pass rush will help our CBs also.

• Agree Agree x 4
  19. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Just read a story about just how well he is doing. It said you've seen them run a lot more man with him following Brown all over the field. If he can do what Ike did and follow the other teams best in a man situation that's going to help out the defense tremendously.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Man coverage is not that end all be all of the NFL. Both have strengths and both have their own set of flaws.

Playing without help is a crazy statement tho... there are very few corners in the league that teams have the confidence to leave without help. Man coverage doesn't mean they have no help. Hell, Seattle's whole cover two man scheme is built around having their safeties that help the corners (Sherman included) over the top and to the sideline so they can be ultra aggressive near the LOS.

The PFF rankings are just coverage rankings. They turn out to be more zone influenced for our guys because we play more zone than man... If our guys stop the other guys from catching it, then I don't care what type of D we play.

There's no reason why Artie and Sean couldn't help our secondary tremendously this season (as I expect that they will).

21. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    the range of our safeties is more concerning than the corners. davis not so much but beyond him i worry. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    A good test for them will be against the Giants receivers friday, by the way the NFL Channel is showing the game live at 7 eastern time...........

23. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I haven't really had much time to keep up with the updates. Any info on Sutton and how he looks in camp?

24. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    He's injured right now.

25. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Thanks. Hate to hear