1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Our D and Message Board Comments - A Few Thoughts

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steel Blitz, May 27, 2015.

1. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    There is a difference between a "chance", and "realistic expectations"...

Realistically, we have a 50/50 chance to improve on defense, and if we do,

There is a realistic 70/30 chance, that our Offense, can carry the load...

If not, we have a "realistic" 60/40 chance that the O can carry the load.

That`s my take...

GO STEELERS!!!

2. Steel Blitz

Steel Blitz Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Perfectly summarized... except that I would change the D improvement to 60/40 and the overall chances of improving on last year to 65/35. Thanks for clearing this up!

3. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    My thoughts on the "D" .... briefly, if that's possible.

DL- Everything on defense starts here. We have a good starting group. An upgrade at NT would make this a truly dominating group. This group is good enough to win in the playoffs with. Depth is an issue. We can survive a injury that requires substantial play from a backup at the nose but one on either end can could prove to be devastating.

LB- We are solid inside starting and depth. Outside we are better off that commonly proposed. Moats and Dupree on the left. Moats will be a good LOLB and Dupree will push him. When he wins we win. JJ and Deebo will rotate on the right side wearing down LTs. That's 8 on the roster. We'll keep 9 maybe 10. Garvin offers alot on ST, only, is that enough? We need to keep another OLB to mold into Deebos spot 1st, Howard? Chickillo? , ????

CB-The position I'm most worried about. Gay is the most reliable player we have. I've been a supporter of his for years while most here despised him. That being said he is what he has always been. A solid tackler, run supporter and good slot corner. If Cortez doesn't become who we paid him to be we're in trouble. Our short 2nd RD pick has got to produce. Blake has to Improve on last year and hopefully Grant becomes a real pleasant surprise.

Safety- We lost Troy and we'll survive. Mitchell will be better this year. Shamarko should be a better SS than Troy was last year. Even if he isn't we'll be ok. W. Allen is a solid backup, can play both spots. Golden is a solid ST, knows the defense and actually played well in his limited snaps. If Holliman can show he can hit and tackle we'll have a steal.

Cajun

4. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Cajun are you thinking that they will play more vanilla at the safety position this year and that will aid Mitchell and Thomas more? I thought Mitchell struggled too much last season when they moved Troy closer to the line for run support and made Mitchell have to asses the personnel and which was the bigger threat, this slowed his reaction time and he played inside his head too much and less instinctual football. When Troy went out and Will Allen came in they played more typical safety roles with both of them and less run support and it seemed to give them a confidence boost. So if you are right about the DL and LB corp raising the level of their game it will mean that Butler can play a less demanding game in the secondary.

5. winggin

winggin Well-Blitzed Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I think the safety position will be fine in only because Mitchell does not need to cover for Troy freelancing. A more tradional setup will help the secondary.

6. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Yes. To me the defense is comprised of three independent components that need to work well together for the whole to dominate. If one component weakens it can be strengthened by Improved play by other components.

1- The Wall. The DL forms the wall and every great fortress has a wall. It starts here, 1st. Heyward and Tuitt will play better. McLendon and McCullers shore up the middle. The WALL will be improved this year.

2- The Assassins. All great historic defenses have counter punching weapons, assassins, and here in lies the LB group. Timmons is the constant. Shazier flashed greatness but injuries derailed him. Spence recovery showed why we drafted him. Williams proving to be a late RD steal. Deebo came out of retirement and had 5.5 sacks. Now he's trained all off-season. He will dominate in reduced snaps and be kept fresh. JJ showed promise before a bad Injury set him back. Moats the constant professional everyone keeps forgetting about. His play is going to surprise fans. Dupree...... unknown, if he doesn't play the group will still be improved. If he develops and "gets it" this group will be scary. Led by TWO coaches they WILL attack and ATTACK often as their former leader Butler now has the reigns for everything DEFENSE.

3- The Shell, defenders of the Treasury .. ( end zone ) : Our weakest component made of two entities, personal protectors ( corners ) and space protectors ( safeties ) . The CBs are led by one proven vet in Gay. Lots of young talent eager to prove themselves. The Safeties are led by a experienced proven vet in Mitchell who was injured and made no excuses, another proven versatile vet in Allen. A developing youngster in Thomas, and Golden and other potential eager talents vying for stardom.

I see the DL setting the wall and with the LBers having an improved run defense and more attacking pressure on the QB.... giving less time for the play to develop protecting our secondary. The Safeties will play a more traditional role because only Troy can be Troy and they need to cover for and protect the corners. Aid in run support and blitzes.

Prepare for the return of BLITZBURGH!!!!!!! You heard it here first.

Cajun