1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Our coaches and defense had no damn clue......

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelerFanInKC, Jan 24, 2017.

1. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    You mean if we execute the defense that held them to 27 points, and Brady to 222 yards, and the offense in total to under 400 yards, with Gronkl.... earlier in the season.. yea, that will never work. :rolleyes:

As for Film Study.... the Patriots broke out a 4 WR package that they used 14 times (that's 14 total plays) over the previous 17 games. Their staff deserves all the credit in the world for being able to pull that off. You can ask the staff to study all the film on earth, no one is going to implement a game plan focused on something the opponent only used about 1% of the time.

Man-Press isn't some magic elixir. It's a high risk approach, you can't run it snap after snap.... Brady is even more deadly vs man coverage. It allows him to easily isolate 1 on 1 pre-snap,

I think the right approach to the Pats is "bend don't break". Allow them to chip away down the field. The more snaps they take, the more opportunity for them to make a mistake to end a drive (dropped ball, etc). When the field to defend gets smaller (redzone) blitz and hold for FGs a couple times. The flip side... the offense needs to score to keep pace.

The Pats kicked our butts with a seldom used 4WR set. Great job.
    Our offense didn't do it's job, and we lost Bell in the 1st quarter.

The sky isn't falling.

2. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    that's funny

3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Good post.

We all hate the Pats, I wanted to beat them so much and actually thought we had a good chance to win that game but have to tip my cap to them, thats why BB is the best. 4 WR sets that you've hardly used, thats ridiculous but he knew what that would do to us and he pulled it off. The guys a freaking brilliant football mind.

Add in Brady who can tell whats coming every play, you have to play perfect to beat them and we were far from perfect.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    It makes sense. Shazier is our best player on defense and they took away his chance to impact the game.

5. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

You could have bumped hogan at the line and he still would have had 4 seconds by himself in the end zone

6. Steelers89

Steelers89 Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Anybody open to signing Pacman if Bengals release him?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  7. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I'd rather we played with 10 men on defense.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    I would not take Pacman and Burfict as a package for a old chewed carmel and a pack of luckys

9. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    THIS Pacman? No. I think I'll pass.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    "The Steelers have literally 15 years worth of Patriots game film at their disposal. Brady will find a way to be Brady, but defensive coordinator Keith Butler et al. have to implement a better strategy.

Since inheriting the his current post in 2015, Butler has faced New England three times, including Sunday’s AFC Championship. In those three games, Brady has completed 76 percent of his passes for 894 yards, nine touchdowns, and no interceptions. That is borderline inexcusable.

In each of Pittsburgh last three losses to New England, Brady has confounded Pittsburgh’s secondary by simply shredding their zone scheme. If you’re wondering, that base set is why Chris Hogan was open by 10-15 yards on every play. The Steelers have the players to run some different defensive schemes. The game plan they adopted was doomed from the start."

-behindthesteelcurtain.com

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Anyone know if they have anyone upstairs in the coach's box coaching or is it all at field level now?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
  12. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Just a room full of cameras...

13. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    It's not a question whether they used the 4 WR package 14 times over the previous 17 games, it's what packages they used against us. I would like to know what they used against us during the last three games. What they used against all the times they played us.

14. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    I'm guessing it's a lot of the same... Probably some change up with Gronk, but BB knows what they do and until they change it up... Why screw with a proven recipe.