1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Our coaches and defense had no damn clue......

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelerFanInKC, Jan 24, 2017.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    :lolol:

2. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    You are probably right but if your base scheme is not working you just continue using it? Man coverage was shown to work. Not one time did zone work. Even with a superior defense with (troy, porter, hampton and crew) it did not work. ONLY time we stop Brady is with man coverage. Even if that didn't work at least we tried something that did work. Zone had no chance. As proven in the past.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    It's a result of us believing them being 14-2 was because of their schedule lol.

Pats are the true juggernauts.

Every ****ing year lol so damn annoying. Have a 8-8 year, hell even 9-7

4. steelers5859

Oct 23, 2011
    How can you say zone scheme is the CORRECT scheme when we have never beat Brady with the zone scheme. Even with better personnel it did not work. You have three rookies back there and you expect them to perform better than the Ike Taylor's, Will Gay, Troy, Clark, Porter, Harrison, Woodley, Hampton, Kiesel, Aaron Smith and crew.

And if my crew comes back with the correct data/plan by all means we use it. But not something that has NEVER work with no data to prove that it does.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Again... I think the 4WR factor is bigger than people understand. You can't play across the board Man Coverage against 4 WRs unless you want to risk that Hogan play.

Again for reference:
    https://www.all22.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers-defensive-gameplan-new-england-patriots

That 1st Hogan TD.... that's not Brady picking apart the zone... that's Dupree and Golden ****ing up.

On that Hogan 40 yarder... that's what you get when you try to play man....

On the Flea flicker.... that's not Brady picking apart the zone... that's Mitchell ****ing up

So again... the narrative that zone was dumb, and man would be smart.... is dumb

The narrative is that we got caught with our pants down in preparation for the 4WR attack. Cheers to the Pats to be able to build an entire game plan around a package they used less than once a game. I don't even know how you prepare for that.

6. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    We just won't beat Brady unless we have

1.dominant powerful D line
    2. Strong fast edge rushers
    3. Speedy smart ILB
    4. Fast aggressive safeties
    5. Elite corners
    6. Jesus
    7. No zone scheme

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    I didn't expect them to perform better that era's defense... I did expect our offense to perform better than that era. that was the trade off.

I expected our defense to have a handful of "bend don't break drives" that would've yielded FGs instead of TDs... they missed that mark. Unfortunately our offense missed the mark by a much bigger margin (dropping TDs, failing to convert from 1, turning ball over, missing deep balls, etc)

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. steelers5859

Oct 23, 2011
    Again....the narrative is ZONE never ever ever ever WORKED. Man coverage WORKED. Which do you do?

9. steelers5859

Oct 23, 2011
    Don't let me get on the offense. When we had that first series of 3rd and 1 and threw to Coates (of all people) I knew we were doomed. Coates haven't caught a deep pass in 10 weeks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    Yes, that's a poorly informed narrative

11. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    I reviewed last years AFC championship. What I saw was man with 3-4 rushing and getting pressure.

We don't have that personelle to get pressure with 4. I'm ok with it, would've lost regardless

12. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I am truly impressed at your patience with others.

Truly I am. Well done.

13. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I think when we are in a 4 down Nickel we are missing a larger edge rush guy. Keisel was that guy for us for quite a few years.

I don't quite see Tuitt and Heyward filling that role as good as they are. I'm thinking a guy like Terrell Suggs or Osi Umenyiora.

14. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Ok so they weren't expecting 4 WR sets ..."obviously " they had no idea that a flea flicker might be in the cards either....Just because you don't expect something ... does that then mean you don't have to adjust to it. What Tomlin and Butler have never seen a team go with 4 WRs in their coaching careers? You know the old saying keep doing the same thing until they stop it....what did we think they were gonna feel bad for us and stop doing it because of how terrible we were against it. I might not be a X and O guru like some of you are :hmm: ,and I have no desire to go back and watch that debacle. My heart has had enough for one year. I don't know exactly how many times they played man or how many times they were in zone but I know one thing ,never once do I recall seeing any of our DBs try to get physical and disrupt the timing of their routes. I realize just because the DBs are playing off coverage doesn't mean it's a zone and we may have ultimately faired even worse going man to man but how come we never saw any kind of jamming the receivers with zone behind it. It looked to me that we just kept trying to jam a square peg into a round hole...

15. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I hear ya....after every season comes to an end I try to focus my energy on that exact thing....but in the end I lament the fact that" obviously " they aren't paying attention to what I have to say....:shrug:

16. Da Stellars

Oct 22, 2011
    But I thought we were supposed to be "Ready for their Ass?" LOL!

In all seriousness, no matter what we played our DB's weren't even within 10 yards of the receiver who caught the ball.

17. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I thnk what he really meant to say was" we are ready for that ass whooping "

18. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I am.

I blame Tomlin just as much too. :lolol:

19. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

This.

It did not matter if man or zone would have been involved.

If anything, one can run with even the best of coverage players like Seattle and Denver.

The reason such teams have so much success is due in part to their pass rush.

You want to beat Brady and Belichick? You better play down to the every absolute, minute and finite detail of execution and fundementals.

Otherwise you got zero chance of besting them.

20. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Problem is....guess what!

You gave them the Hogan play anyway!

Basically they have the ability to change scheme to beat you week to week. Even Half to half, and this team does not!

21. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    What's so frustrating about losing to the Patriots again, they didn't have Gronk and still blew out the Steelers :facepalm:. You know your defense sucks when Chris Hogan has the same stats as the best WR Julio Jones had.

22. Da Stellars

Oct 22, 2011
    It makes you wonder. We almost beat the PATs early in the year with Gronk and we had Landry Jones at QB?

Seems they were just rope a dopin' us?

23. Rambro

Rambro Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    In both games if we don't shoot ourselves in the foot I think we at least make it competitive. It's like we are the blueprint for what not to do against the pats.

24. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    My question during the game was...one, why did they have deebo out in coverage
    and two, why can mike mitchell always fine the microphone in interviews but can't find his man in coverage or the ball. They rushed 3 guys and receivers were still wide open. McCuller should've been at nose tackle and Justin Gilbert should've been on hogan

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Well then, they should have played Man-Press a lot more. If you play 10 yards off the line, the surgeon will cut you time after time. You understand that i'm sure. You take a man, you bump him and you stay with him. You throw off the QB-receiver route, timing ect. It's all about timing with Brady. And the excuse that these corners and safeties can't play man to man press? Well they best figure this out because NE is not going away. To me it goes beyond execution, it was the lack of game planning knowing what they were going to do. That's called film study. This falls at the feet of Tomlin, Butler and the Defensive staff. It's over now, what's done is done, but again if they go in playing the same Defense as they have done countless times against NE we all will be back here talking about the same thing. If they get back here. Going to be an interesting off season that's for sure...