1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Our answer to drafting a QB isn't going to happen

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Mashburn, Oct 9, 2021.

1. Quadrupleyoi

Quadrupleyoi Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2017
    I think Kent Graham and David Woodley are in there somewhere too.
    Usually people have something to learn before they reach their full peak, in any field. In a few cases, you have what I call an Elvis. Elvis was fully formed from the beginning, as good and as significant as he would ever be, the day he walked in to Sun Studio in Memphis. On the other side of the coin, you have guys who have all the tools but never seem to develop.
    We have been spoiled, because Ben was one of those rare cases. He was an Elvis, good to go right out of the box.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Some of My favorite Elvis song have been recorded in that studio :thumbs_up:

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Kenny Pickett 416 yards and 4 TDs today. The one draft board that I was reading (can't remember which one) compares him to Joe Burrow. Someone who stayed in college for a long time, had a steady career and then had a great senior year. Also both Pickett and Burrow are pocket passers that can make any throw on the field but have decent running ability if the play breaks down.

• Like Like x 3
  4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    So far out of any that have been brought up here ....He Looks the best...So far.:thumbs_up:

5. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    NCAA 2021 QBs.... :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Maybe still in High School.

7. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I like these guys in the middle of the first round or later:
    Phil Jurkovec
    Desmond Ridder
    Carson Strong

8. Fe3CCity

Fe3CCity Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    I think you may be right but Tomlin is a big 1 round pedigree blah blah. I think Haskins and Mason will fight next camp.
    I think Haskins has the 1 round going for him which the team loves

9. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Colbert has a bigger say in who is drafted than Tomlin does, always has. That is typical for most NFL teams.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  10. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Pickett never gets to the Steelers in the draft.

11. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    If he finishes the year strong like I think he will, Kenny will likely be long gone before the Steelers are up.

I'd love to see the Steelers get him if they could. He's a Steeler style of player. He's tough, competitive and seems to be a likeable kid. He'd be a great fit here.

12. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Thank you. Thank you very much

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  13. chris2fer

chris2fer Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2016
    Since Ben insists on winning games which I have no problem with. They should pick up Teddy Bridgewater in free agency, he plays well with talent around him. Had the Vikings on missed chip shot field goal away from the NFC championship game his rookie season. And went 5-0 for Brees at the Saints. He. Just has no talent in Denver.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I have watched Kenny Pickett mature for four years, he has improved
    and has had a pro coach coach him these years he has improved. Joe Burrow is
    a good comparison. Kenny has been hurt a few times in his career at Pitt. I hope the best for him
    he is a very likable player. The Steelers should know everything about him. They practice right next to each other.

• Winner Winner x 2
  15. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Haskins currently isn't under contract for 2022. If they see nothing more, you have to wonder if they spend more money on him.

Mason's in his 4th season, the Steelers are scoring fewer than 20 points in 2/3 of Ben's starts dating back to last December, Ben is limited in practice every week with multiple injuries, and it sounds like Mason doesn't have a chance to get the odd start here or there when you listen to Tomlin speak on the subject.

Doesn't sound like a guy who they believe is the next franchise QB. If this version of Ben is clearly better than Mason in the Steelers' mgmt's eyes, then playing him next year is a giant cost-saving, FU to the fan base.

16. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    I don't watch much Pitt football, but I love this story. How do you anticipate he'll do in offseason drills? I'm afraid he'll elevate out of our reach in the first round.

17. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    I'm confused by your response. You said you think he will but then said he’ll be gone.

18. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    he’s already out of reach.

19. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I have heard early reports that considered him a second day choice, the season
    he is having may improve his marketability??? I personally like Kenny and his grittiness and
    the Steelers could do worse if they didn't select him. I like his accuracy, not the arm of Mahomes or Rogers
    but can make the 30 and out throw. The WR he is throwing to Addison will be a star in the NFL.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    If he plays the rest of this year like he has to date, I think it raises his draft status in what is widely regarded as a weak QB draft class. I honestly can't tell what the Steelers are this year, but if they finish strong, they likely pick somewhere in the 20's and Kenny will almost certainly be off the board by then. My hope is that they can somehow draft him, moving up via trade, etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    He'll be at the Senior Bowl, too, which will elevate his stock unless he lays an egg.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    what teams that are going to be drafting early need another QB? I know we don't know where the steelers will be drafting but if there's another run on QBs it's obvious we'll have to reach for one or trade up and we don't have the trade capital to do much of that.

23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I'm not so sure on a 1st round Qb this Year anyway. The more I watch the Qbs coming out this year ....the more I wonder if What we got on the bench isn't better....unless people are just judging Qbs by their 40 time. Now next year there are a few I really like.

24. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    ahh, got it.

I think Kenny has already played himself outside of the Steelers reach, even if he has a down game or two.

Kenny will go in the top 15 picks of round 1 (baring injury). I also think he ends up in Philly. The Eagles have 3 first round picks and, as of now, all top 10 (picks 3, 8, and 9). They could even trade one or some of those down a spot or two and still get him if they wanted. Add to that he's virtually a hometown guy being from a town in NJ lest than 90 minutes away.

25. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Lions.

Football Team.

Texans.

Broncos.

Of the four, the biggest ones are the Lions and the Texans. I would also include the likes of the Football Team but it is uncertain as to how Rivera wants to build his team as that Offense truly lacks an identity overall. The Broncos are included but make no mistake that their endgame is trading for Aaron Rodgers once the season concludes. Trading away Von Miller had a lot more to do with finalizing that goal more so than the return of Bradley Chubb though his return was a part of that equation.

Overall though, I am with @MeanJoeBlue on trading up for a QB in the upcoming draft. My current Top 32 does not feature a QB in the Top 10 for the first time since 2013..... and we all know how that draft worked out. If anything and, if I am Pittsburgh, I would first figure out what the team has in the likes of James Pierre. Doing that is a must as having him succeed will prove to be beneficial in the long run not only in terms of draft capital but also Free Agency spending. After that, decide on Banner vs. Chuks. Whomever wins that... the other goes. Finding another Offensive Tackle should come through the draft. Next after that, should Terrell Edmunds be extended??? If not, NAB JESSIE BATES... PLEASE!!! Minkah Fitzpatrick and Jessie Bates... on the same team?? One can dream!! Another aspect is the return of Stephon Tuitt but also the factor of Cameron Heyward's age as he is not getting any younger. Even should Isaiahh Loundermilk prove to be a worthy selection, he will need a running mate to go along with him.

What does all the aforementioned lead up to one may ask? In order for any young future Franchise QB to be successful, the talent around him must be either good or even great for him to have a chance. Many of you should know this already on how it was for Big Ben back in 2004; that roster being primed for some Super Bowl runs. Tomlin is attempting to do the same here; a high quality roster that needs "the guy" to push them over the top. If anything, the Steelers can really attack the 2022 Draft in a number of areas but I still believe the biggest current needs on the team are as follows;

1.) Defensive Line: Again, this is all dependent on Tuitt's overall health and if the team believes Heyward still has some good years left. Do not forget that the team was interested in trading for a Interior Defensive Lineman at the trade deadline. Should either player be gone by the time the 2022 Draft rolls around, have to take a player here. Jordan Davis or Demarvin Leal are superb options.

2.) Safety: Rather... there is only two other safeties that I personally have to go in the First Round not named Kyle Hamilton; Daxton Hill and Jordan Battle. Of the two, Hill has the better versatility and more athletic ability. This is all dependent on if the Steelers lose out on the
    "Jessie Bates Sweepstakes".

3.) Offensive Tackle: Quite the Offensive Tackle class!!! Plenty of options here although the talent higher is a bit more top heavy than I would like. The drop off is not immeasurable but a tad bit considerate in comparison to both 2021 and 2020. Trevor Penning, Charles Cross and Darian Kinnard would all be excellent options.

I also agree with @steelersrule6; acquire one in the Second Round. If anything and, call me crazy but, I would expect that is when Kevin Colbert would elect to strike a trade as the values of trading up in Round 2 are more easy to get past than Round 1.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2021
    • Like Like x 2