1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Our 100 million dollar QB and the future.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by oldschool, Feb 4, 2012.

1. lersgofor7

lersgofor7 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2011

I agree, but don't u wish they would!!!!!!!! :towel:

2. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Besides that, Have you people seen JaMarcus Russell?

3. theotherbigben

theotherbigben Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2011
    I haven't seen Jamarcus Russell. How's his career going? If you're not seeing the double chin, then my guess is you're like 1/3 of the country, obese. I'm not saying he's obese. That's the conclusion people are gonna jump to. I'm saying he's being paid 8 figures annually to be an athlete. I also think the film study speculation is legit. It shouldn't take 5 seconds to find an open receiver everytime you go back to pass.

4. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Just re--read that line again. I don't claim to KNOW one or the other. But I never hear that he is. Like I do about Brady, Breeze and Manning. I think he needs to. Every NFL QB should be in the film room more than any player on a team.

5. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Ben needs to jump-start the offense, and keep its momentum going. Whatever he needs to do, within the reasonable limits of his position, he needs to just do it.

He said he's going to get with the offense in the off-season. I hope it works out well.

Until then I'll remain confident in the Steelers.

6. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011

It's common knowledge. Just like it's common knowledge that Peyton Manning and Drew Brees are film junkies and fanatical about studying defenses.

7. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    The other thing I've noticed over the years is that Ben doesn't seem to look at much photos on the sideline during games. Anytime a camera shows the Saints sideline, you see Brees studying photos. I rarely ever see Ben doing that. I know he's stated in the past that he's not a huge film room type guy, but it's time to start spending more time studying. All the great QB's study the game. Ben has relied on pure athleticism so far in his career, but once you hit 30, you can't do that stuff anymore. He needs to develop the mental part of his game or he's going to find himself as a backup somewhere in the league within 5 years. I know many of you think Ben is the next coming of Christ, but once his athleticism starts to betray him, things are going to go south quickly unless he works on the mental side of the game.

8. Steeldefense08

Steeldefense08 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    He is fat maybe to the BMI calculator, lol. I remember reading a story years ago about how the BMI calculator is not accurate cause of a persons build. It said (at that time) that Evander holyfield was overweight. yeah ok.........

9. ScottChab

ScottChab Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    According to the BMI calculator, Ben is obese. What a joke.

10. SteelYourPoints

SteelYourPoints Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Yep, the BMI isn't a good indicator of anything. It doesn't take into account muscle mass. I just did James Harrison and he is apparently obese :lolol:

11. ScottChab

ScottChab Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Joey Porter was obese too and that due was jacked!

12. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    What makes something common knowledge? If it's repeated enough on message boards to support a point of view, I guess sooner or later it's common knowledge. :hmmm:
    Not picking on ya, I've just been curious lately as to how accurate his lack of film room participation is.

13. SteelMojo

SteelMojo Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    THIS its like urban legends people repeat and we repeat it till in there minds it comes true! untill a coach or player comes out and says Ben doesnt watch film i believe nothing i read online! and people saying he doesnt watch film like P Manning hell who does?

14. diehardsteel

Oct 19, 2011
    It's not just message board stuff. Common knowledge = articles like this: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/otl/news ... id=5132299

Yes it was a few years ago but a questionable reputation both in the locker room (work ethic) and off the field (multiple female allegations) take awhile to overcome. Remember, as recently as the 2010 season Ben wasn't even selected as a team captain. Tough for the "face of the franchise" to get a slap like that from his team mates. Hopefully Ben is in the process of reinventing himself but it may take more time, and more dedicated film study sessions certainly would go a long way towards that end, not to mention help our offense improve from 21st in scoring.

15. SteelMojo

Oct 23, 2011
    just read that whole thing please show me where it says he doesnt watch film? just says he didnt hang with the guys! (your going to say he was the first to leave blah blah ever think he might watch film at home like oh say Manning does?)hell if you almost died twice and had allegations you would want to get home too

16. VA_Black&Gold

VA_Black&Gold Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I'm just interested in seeing how a new OC changes things before I make any real judgements against Ben. That way I know for sure who to assign blame to and for what. As for the fat thing that has everyone's pants in a bunch, I will say that at times he's looked pretty, well, not really overweight as much as bloated. I do think, however, that part of that view is because I think he has a huge friggin' noggin, so even if he's in shape, his head always looks crammed into his helmet. Just my perspective though.

17. SteelMojo

Oct 23, 2011
    oh PS Dookie Davenport please he is a real standup guy rolls eyes stop to think just maybe he is bitter for getting cut so much? justsayin

18. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    That article does mention how Ben didn't have the commitment to do what it takes to be a champion, how he was the last one to arrive and the first to leave. The article doesn't address the studying issue directly, but it does imply it. There's also been many other articles over the years talking about Ben not putting in the work. Yeah, that article talks about how Ben was a bad teammate and Porter called him out for it, but it's not like things got better after that. Ben continued being arrogant and continued to be a bad teammate. He said so himself after the two sexual assault allegations came out when he was doing all those interviews. He specifically stated himself he didn't do the small things required to win, he didn't put enough time into working on his game, he didn't spend enough time with his teammates, he was arrogant, etc. Ben himself said all those things during his 4 game suspension. That was years after Porter called him out. What is it going to take for Ben to smarten up? The wake up call for him should have been the Porter situation, but he smartened up temporarily only.

19. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    This article makes me miss Porter that much more. We need a player like him. We don't seem to have that guy right now. Harrison isn't that guy, despite his intense play. Troy isn't that guy either. We need a guy who leads on the field with his play, and who leads with his mouth in the locker room, but in a good way. If something needed to be said, Porter said it, no matter how sensitive the issue.

20. rukus4ever

Oct 24, 2011
    :this!: Ben has tremendous potential. But he has to start doing more with it.

21. rukus4ever

Oct 24, 2011
    :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

22. rukus4ever

Oct 24, 2011
    Yeah, Porter used to even go hard at Cowher.

23. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    Me too... :this!:

PS everyone - I made a correction to what I meant to say in big red letters. That much should be clear.

24. diehardsteel

Oct 19, 2011
    Hey mojo, if you want to believe Ben's putting in all the quality time needed, in film study and elsewhere, to get to the next level, go right ahead. Nobody's stopping you.

25. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011

I am 100% with these last two additional comments.

I can't believe people are taking issue with people wanting this guy to get a little more fit and study harder. Sheesh, this is what we want from our children. At least most of us anyway. it isn't like he doesn't have every tool to do so not only as his disposal, I'm sure the whole organization would be over the moon if he did this.

He needs the mental/cerebral game becoming more a part of his skill set as he ages than his physical stuff. And keeps getting injured because of a bad o-line and his love affair with the ball in his hand. It's like a wart on his palm.

The O-Line won't be even very good until two seasons from now if we are lucky. That's even if the front office concentrates on it (IMO).