1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

OUCH!!!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Bleedsteel, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    Damnit, this one still hurts!!!!
    Even two days later, even knowing our injuries... even knowing we most likely wouldn`t have made it out of New England with a win...(at least we woulda had a chance)...
    I just finally had it all sink in, that we are done, while there are other teams still playing for the Lombardi...
    As a Steeler fan... I am used to being in the playoffs almost every year, and rarely losing in the first round...
    I guess what bugs me the most is I was scared of their running game, and Tebow comes outta nowhere, and puts up over 300 yards PASSING, against our "number one pass defense"... not to mention the 50+ yards rushing, along with a rushing td that I could NOT believe we didn`t stop!!
    That was 300+ yards though the air, on TEN completions, or something like that!!!!
    We had only given up about 2 passes of over forty yards ALL YEAR, and all of a sudden, we gave up 4 or more of those in ONE GAME?!?!?!
    OUCH!!!
    Really no point to this thread...
    Just venting...
    I can`t believe they beat us THAT WAY!
    As much as I hate B.A. I thought he had the right idea...
    We were playing conservative and smart... communicating well among the o-line and Ben and recievers on the road...
    Had a couple bad drops(Cotchery on an early third down, and Wallace on a deep ball later)...
    But overall, we were not killing ourselves with penalties/greedy plays, etc.(Still too many "bubble screens", but other than that...)
    We had to settle for 2 field goals to start the game, but at that point I thought we were doing ok, given the injuries.
    One bad int. by Ben, and the fumble that took us out of fg range at the end hurt...
    Still just can`t believe that we got burned by Tebow, like we did all game long... Not just the last play...
    We were so good at not giving up long passes all year long.
    What changed?
    We just thought he couldn`t do it?!?!
    Can`t blame them for thinking that... It was what he had shown on tape, since he had been starting...
    Like I said, there really is no point to this, just had to let off some steam.
    Still in shock, I guess.
    I knew this would be a tough game, just not for the reasons it turned out to be.
    We will get healthy, and younger(for better or worse), this offseason...
    And I fully expect us to get to the Bowl next year!!!
    Injuries are not an excuse, but they are a fact... We were beat up as hell, BEFORE LOSING Keisel and Hampton right off the bat...
    I always thought our backups could beat most teams anyways...
    Guess I was wrong on that one, but the kids DID get a lot of valuable experience, that will only help us down the road...
    O.K....
    Got that off my chest, now I just gotta wait about 8 months to watch us make our next run...
    HERE WE GO STEELERS... HERE WE GO!!! :herewego:

2. lamberts lunatic

lamberts lunatic Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Alot of our No1 defense was on the sidelines. Anyway you can't win with key players hurt. Just ask Indy :herewego:

3. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    Not to be a smart a***, but Indy only lost Manning, right?
    Would we be THAT bad(2-14) or whatever, if we ONLY lost Ben?
    I doubt it.
    And on the defense, we lost Smith, and Hoke, early, Woodley didn`t play for about 6 weeks, Harrison was out for 5 or 6 weeks, Troy was still in there.
    Other than Clark being ruled out(which they knew going in), we lost Hampton at nosetackle, and Keisel(I agree... HUGE loss given how he was playing),at end....
    But..., ok... But nothin...
    We were playing at about half strength on both sides of the ball...
    IT SHOWED...
    I did like to believe that our backups could be starters elsewhere, and we could win with them.
    Guess they proved me wrong. ;(

4. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Ridiculous moments happen. I remember the opening game of the 1989 season when the Steelers lost to the Browns 51-0 at home (53 total yards and 8 turnovers for Tom Moore's offense!)

5. mdbates2

mdbates2 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Yes - to some extent they proved you wrong - but on the same note - no matter what Tomlin or anyone says about backups just being starters in-waiting, they do not get the reps that the starters do in practice. When you spend most of your practice time on the scout team, you don't get the chance to practice the game plan. Not an excuse - they should still have been ready, but we saw Charlie Batch play pretty rusty against Cleveland when he relieved Ben, then got reps with the starters for a couple weeks - started against the Rams and looked pretty good. So - while I don't necessarily think that our backups are as good as the best players in the league, I do believe that they play better if they get enough reps with the first team AND with the game plan.

6. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Oh god, don't remind me. I think I threw a beer mug through the TV screen before that one was over :frustrated:

7. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    True, but at the same time, Hampton and Smith are done anyway, so we were really only missing Keisel. At this point in their careers, I expected Hood and Heyward to step up, especially Hood, but it just didn't happen. I'm not sold on Hood, he just hasn't gotten any better.

8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Believe it or not, DL had a bad game plan. We already have a good run defense, there was no reason to put that many people in the box leaving the secondary exposed and leaving the middle of the field unprotected that much. Add to the fact that the coverage was horrible and was leaving guys wide open that even Tebow could hit. All year we protect against the deep pass and then completely abandon that strategy, Steelers underestimated Tebow even worse then the fans did. Should have made Tebow sustain long drives where his limitations would be more likely to pop up. No way he would have dinked and dunked us to death like Brady, at the very least they wouldn't have jumped out to such a big lead as quickly, keeping it close. Oh well, hindsight is 20/20.

You want to talk about ouch though, the high snap at the end is particularly painful, and also the slapping the ball out of Bens hands, I swear right before those things happened I was 100% sure we'd get into FG range and win it. :frustrated:

9. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Sunday's loss wasn't a big ouch. These were a big ouch:

1. 1994 AFC Championship Game vs San Diego
    2. 1980 Week 14 at Houston
    3. 1982 First-round playoff vs San Diego
    4. 1976 AFC Championship Game at Oakland
    5. 2001 AFC Championship Game vs New England
    6. 1996 Divisional Playoff at New England
    7. Super Bowl XXX vs Dallas
    8. 1990 Week 17 at Houston
    9. 2002 AFC Divisional Playoff vs Tennessee
    10. Super Bowl XLV vs Green Bay

10. jhmiller3

jhmiller3 Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Yep. and then it rained, and I mean really, really hard. What a day that was. :frustrated:

11. Steeldefense08

Steeldefense08 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    what about:

11. 2011 Week1 vs Ravens

12. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I was in shock at that one... whoa...

13. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    But then they beat Cleveland a few weeks later (Todd Blackledge filling in for an injured Bubby) and made the playoffs! Kinda took the sting out.