1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

OT: Anyone Else Losing Some Interest in the NFL?

Discussion in 'General NFL Talk' started by Steelers89, Sep 1, 2018.

1. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Cancelled my DirecTV Sunday Ticket this season. Between political garbage, player stupidity (on and off field), numerous/dumb rule changes, mass injuries, less hitting/physicality, excessive penalties, and replay delays... there is just no game flow, far less excitement, too many plays getting called back/overturned, talent missing, etc. Instead of celebrating a great play or TD, there's hesitation looking for a flag, waiting to see if the play will stand, wondering if downed players will get back up, and so on. Kills spontaneity. It's not nearly as fun for me as it used to be. I only have one fantasy team this year and I tried to back out of that but it's a league of good friends that's been around for years. Further, the exodus of young kids playing tackle football is real. Game has a serious challenge going forward.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

The games isn’t political and neither are the protests. A bunch of asshats have turned it into something political.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    This. I used to rage and smash things after a loss.

Now 13 years later, a little one, many buffets later...

I’m so tired and can’t even see my dong sometimes. Once glen erased me from existence Ive never felt so irrelevant, as if I were Tyler matakevich on the team asking myself what am I doing?

4. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    The protests are disrespectful. Don’t know why they feel they are able to protest while on the job. Nobody else is allowed to do it. It’s an entitlement mentality. And it’s stupid.

5. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    I suppose some. I used to watch Monday Night Football every week it was on. Now only if a game that in some way affects the Steelers and if not, probably will skip it and that goes for Sunday Night too. I don`t like being in my late 50`s, lol, but I`m very happy having get the chance to see our team as a fan through the 70`s and onward. Used to watch MLB, but gave that up due to lost interest. Not too concerned with the political stuff. Commercials have always been there, but probably more now, don`t have proof. The game itself has changed. The rules, the high pay for the players. Watch the NFL Channel when they interview old players to know what it was like back in the early-mid 70`s and before that. I remember the interview with Deacon Jones on the NFL Channel and he told like it was. The players often HATED the opposition. They played for the thrill of victory as much as for the pay. Those days are gone. Nowadays it`s a millionaires club of players who buddy around after the game. Not saying that`s bad, just different.

Bottom line, still a 10 on a scale of 10 for watching Steeler games. Little interest for other sports.

BTW, probably has something to do with getting older. Lower energy, lower testosterone, LOL.

6. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    Actually anyone is entitled to do it. The first amendment guarantees that. With that being said we have been asked to refrain from political discourse on these boards so I will bow out of this discussion now.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  7. Sojourner

Sojourner Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2015
    I’ve lost quite a bit of my enthusiasm, excitement, passion...whatever you would call it. I think at this point for me it’s just a continuation of a lifelong habit.
    It’s got very little to do with politics or protest though it’s more the fact that the games we see now are so incredibly different from the games I watched up until now.

The rule changes etc etc. it’s just not the same.

8. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    My interest is just fine.

9. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    If the refs calls during the preseason are any indication of the reg season ... then, I pass. Those two defensive calls against the defense for sacking dobbs were ridiculous. I can see us losing alot of games because of these bad calls against a physical defense.

10. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Stupid or not, you are choosing to be bothered by it.

11. Steelers89

Steelers89 Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2016
    To clarify, I still watch every single Steelers game. I just don't take losses as hard as I use too. Took me a good six months to somewhat get over that Packers loss. The better team didn't win the SB. I also don't watch as many non Steelers game as I previously did.

12. Steelers89

Oct 1, 2016
    It's not the protests themselves that bother me. It's the fact ESPN & other networks keep beating the dead horse on said protests. What else is there to really say about guys kneeling? What new information can be said? These damm network producers need to ensure it's sports talk only.

13. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    I'm totally with you there. The media knows they can hit nerves by doing this and they get a sick satisfaction from creating "controversy."

14. Steelers89

Oct 1, 2016
    Exactly. I use to turn on ESPN to see why the Steelers were struggling on D. Or why Tomlin coached teams had issues with the dregs. Yet, I'd tune in and I thought I was watching Bill O'Reilly or Larry King. Thus, I abandoned ESPN for good. I'll only watch Steelers games. No pre or post game analysis. The only pre game show I enjoy is NBC. They do everything ( In my view) top notch.

15. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

This is rich. The media doesn’t get a sick satisfaction out of covering these things. The media gives the people what they want. The vast majority craves this garbage and is drawn to it like a moth to a flame. Take reality television as an example. It’s nothing more than cheap(as in $) manufactured drama and Americans gobble it up.

16. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Eh I say they are deciding what the people should focus on.

17. THREE RIVER SHIVER

THREE RIVER SHIVER Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2017
    Still do not miss a game,but I used to watch hours of pre game and hours of post game. Losses don't quite hurt as bad as they used to.[looking back I acted like a damn lunatic]...Could not wait for the Steeler digest to come. Never missed Stan and Guy on Sportsbeat...These days the game has definitely has changed.Rule changes,Player attitude are just some of the reasons.I wish they would leave the game the way it used to be.On a side note ,I was watching the Stanley Cup final on NHL network the other day from 1994.What hockey has become now is almost a joke compared to how the game was once played. They made that sport a shell of what it once was by rule changes to stimulate scoring ,please don't continue to do this to the NFL

18. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

If the people don’t watch it the networks won’t broadcast.

19. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Actually guys like Kapernick and Malcolm Jenkins have done things for their community.

20. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    If you have the Redzone channel, that's what you should turn to during commercials.

21. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    In the case of kapernick he has donated over $900,000 to charities. I would say he’s not only talking the talk, but walking the walk.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. 69-2now

69-2now Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2017
    Goodell is a NWO puppet and his job is to keep the races stirred. The young ones idolize these players taking a knee and copycat. What a better place to do this crap than the nfl.
    The 24/7 programming has pushed me away but not that far. I rarely watch any pre or post game shows anymore. There's no discipline anymore and the flags are killing the game.
    I'll watch the games that are on local channels but I'm not paying to watch the circus.

23. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I hear you Mojave, My favorite are still dynasty era players.

24. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Yeah, Kap is awesome! What a great role model for today's youth with his Fidel Castro t-shirts and his "cops are pigs" socks.

It takes a lot more than stroking a check you can more than afford to stroke to be doing something good for your community.

image.jpg

25. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

Dude you’re making a mountain of a molehill over a T-shirt. A ****ing T-shirt. The shirt was about Malcom x. You might not like his politics, protests, or choice of clothing. However, as a role model you’re barking up the wrong tree. 4.0grade point avg,multi sport athlete, gives back to his community. Yes, he is a positive role model. His life could have taken dozens of different paths, but he has taken the high road and made something of himself. He’s not just some dumbass jock.
    Your stroke a check comment shows just how little you know about the subject. Just reactionary pseudo outrage.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1