1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Oregon CB Cristain Gonzalez

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by steelersrule6, Jan 21, 2023.

1. kakhatesmortgages66

kakhatesmortgages66 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2020
    I wouldn't use the words "set at CB" I'm talking about pick 17.

But I would say our secondary is in better shape than our dline as it stands today. If you recall, we were ranked 32 against the run just 2 years ago. Last year I think we were up to 10th best, but we are potentially losing 3 guys who actually played, and contributed.

We still have free agency too. If we can patch major holes at ILB and Dline, I might be ok with a CB that early.....

We'll see.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2023
  2. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I think they resign Sutton, but will be cutting alot of dead weight at
    The CB position or should. They need people that can at least try and cover
    Higgins and Chase and others. Up grade of talent badly needed at this position.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Gonzalez should be in Brueners scouting area, let's hope
    he can evaluate the CB position or have somebody that has had
    eyes on him?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I haven’t watched any full games isolating on Gonzalez yet, but the highlight films show a bit of everything you’d want in a corner. Some really good film in press coverage and off coverage. Ball skills. Tackling.

Between now and the draft I’m sure some more videos will be created and posted online that show all of his snaps vs certain teams.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    I would be absolutely thrilled with Witherspoon, Gonzalez or Smith at 17. Something tells me we are going to go with Bresee or Porter Jr. Those just fill like Steeler picks to me. Guys with potential but they haven’t quite shown it yet in college.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Yes we've been burned before with Justin Layne and Artie Burns type of players. Guys that have good size and speed but aren't real good at playing football.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011

This is Georgia’s offense vs. the Oregon defense in the opener last season. Gonzalez is #0 for Oregon. I had read that this was Gonzalez’s worst game of the season. It was a mixed bag. He had a really, really tough time getting off of blocks to affect the run game or make tackles after screens. He gave up a 6 yard slant completion on 3rd and 3 because he allowed the receiver to screen him from the ball - a hard coverage assignment against a bigger receiver. He gave up a TD late in the game on a fade near the goal line. However there were two times where Stetson Bennett was looking his way on a deep 1:1 matchup and elected to go elsewhere. You can’t see the coverage because it was off screen, but whatever was going on downfield Bennett didn’t want to pull the trigger. He also made a really nice shoe string tackle near the goal line in the 2nd half. If his tape for the whole season looked like this he wouldn’t be a 1st round prospect, but for a “worst game” of the season for a corner this wasn’t all that bad. Also, he was asked to bail quite a bit which didn’t do him any favors in terms of taking on blockers that already had a head of steam.

I have a ton more to watch before I’ll know where I’d slot him in the draft order among corners. This game really raised one big concern: he can be bullied by bigger receivers or bigger blockers.

• Like Like x 1
  8. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    A lot of mocks I'm seeing has Gonzales as the first CB off the board, usually followed by Porter and then Witherspoon. Cam Smith and Ringo aren't getting the love they were when the season ended.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Wormley and Alualu took 31% and 27% of the defensive snaps respectively. We can probably find a cheap option on the interior to replace Alualu and Wormley will be replaced by Leal. Ogunjobi is the big loss because He played 60% of the defensive snaps and was a disruptive force when he was in. That is where we will need to find someone. I'd be pretty happy if we found a way to retain him for a few years, but who knows. If we prefer to take an early-ish DL then maybe just let him go. But we have options either way

If no Ogunjobi we could look like this....
    Heyward Adams Leal
    Loudermilk FA/ Draft FA/Draft

CB Looks like this (assuming a Sutton contract is finalized and we cut the dead weight)

Sutton, Wallace, Maulet, Pierre

But, we really need it to look more like this... We really need to take a boundary corner in the draft or FA and just allow Wallace to be the #3 and Sutton to swing inside some. Maulet is decent and Pierre is a fine enough depth/ST guy. Let the bottom 3 fight for their roster spots/playing time.

Sutton, FA/Draft, Wallace, Maulet, Pierre, FA/Draft

• Like Like x 2
  10. kakhatesmortgages66

Apr 16, 2020

Technically, your still needing to fill 3 DL spots (someone to fill Leals spot in the rotation). 100% Agree on Larry O.
    The concerns I have is we don't yet really know what we have with Leal and Loudermilk. Will they step up and be better contributors? The jury is still out on them, really. Also Cam is gonna be 34 when the season starts. We're assuming he's going to be continuing to play at an elite level. We've gotta get young on the line. That said, we've also had success in bringing in DL vets.

Agree the CB room could use help. I just think DL and ILB are bigger needs. But if we lose Cam Sutton, CB becomes just as big a need.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2023
  11. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    If we bring back Sutton, our second outside corner is Wallace (assuming A. Witherspoon gets cut). He’s serviceable, but we should really upgrade the position.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. kakhatesmortgages66

Apr 16, 2020
    Right. More serviceable than Loudermilk, Leal and Adams at their positions. As of right now.

13. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I think it’s more likely that we do something in free agency on the D line to help for 2023, but we won’t know for several more weeks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. kakhatesmortgages66

Apr 16, 2020
    And ILB. And a #3 OLB. Our D has a ton of holes that need fixed.

15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    That is why the 1st 4 draft picks should be Defense.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. kakhatesmortgages66

Apr 16, 2020
    I would be ok with that, but I don't think that will happen. I think at least a WR or OL will be taken by the third pick.

• Like Like x 1
  17. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    If a good OL is there at #17 or #32 they need to consider taking him.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    @STD keep dreaming dude they aren't going to draft all defense with their first four picks :shrug:.

• Like Like x 1
  19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Doesn't mean I can't dream they will, and keep hope alive brother. :thumbs_up:

• Like Like x 1
  20. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Very much so, Najee #1 in 21 KFP #1 in 2022. Get them some help!!!!!!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011

• Winner Winner x 1
  22. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011

• Like Like x 1
  23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Did nobody watch Cam Smith???

24. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I guess they don't consider Smith one of the top 5 CBs :shrug:.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  25. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Then they shouldn’t even be posting about football. LoL.
    Because they would Be the only people that don't.