1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Only in Pittsburgh

Discussion in 'Other Sports Talk' started by thorn058, Mar 27, 2014.

1. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Only in the Burgh will you find the media spinning stories about firing head coaches and fans buying into it as solid reasoning. We all have seen the Fire Tomlin stories and now the hockey media is saying Bylsma is on the hotseat and could get replaced. Oh brother really?

2. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Ugh. I'd like to see a comparison of sports media by major city. I've long felt that Pittsburgh would rank pretty low...

3. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Sad to say the story I was reading on Hockey News had Jacques Martin as the guy to step in if Shero makes the change because of his defensive system that seems to be the current hot trend. Sorry they tried that already with Therrien and the talent(Malkin/Crosby) chaffed at the rigid defense first structure. Bylsma needs to changes some things but doesn't need pulled yet and not during a playoff run. A few tweaks here and there ands things look better.

4. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Only in Pittsburgh? lol You guys have no idea what real media is like. Try being a Toronto Maple Leafs fan. Referring to it as a media circus up here doesn't come close to truly describing it. It's so bad that players don't even want to come here as free agents due to the media. It's literally insanity. The media here chews up coaches and players basically after every loss.

5. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    As a Habs fan, Jacques Martin's hockey was a real low point. Even though we made it to the 3rd round in 2009-2010, it was brutal hockey to watch.

So who did they replace him with? Michel Therrien. Just awful. Thankfully we drafted so well over the past couple of years we atleast have talent on the roster. Still, Alex Galchencyuk could easily be at the 60-70 point mark in only his first full season, but rather he is banished to being a checking line winger.

Its hard to criticize the likes of Therrien and Martin because they do win alot of games, but its a terrible mis-use of the talent on hand and just atrocious hockey to watch from a fan perspective.

6. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Probably why Captain Dion couldn't even face the media after a loss earlier this week:lolol:

7. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    That is the thing Shaner I would expect that knd of level of scrutiny for a Canadian team like the Leafs and Habs. The Pens have an embarrassment of riches and to have anyone suggest that changing coaches is a good idea with the type of season they are having is just well typical Pittsburgh and very similar to the Fire Tomlin stories that have been circulating.

8. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Yep it might not be as bad as the NZT the Devils used in the late 90's but very close to it and it just drives me crazy because it takes away from some real talented hockey players and just slows up the game. I'll agree though it does win games but still hate watching it.

9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    NY is insane too. Especially for players that come from small markets and used to dealing with 1 reporter then get here and deal with 100. Talk shows are brutal on them too.

10. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Come on you got to admit, his refusal to do what would seem like logical moves is baffling! With the Playoffs coming he was asked if he would rest some of his players, particularly some of his Olympians (read Crosby whose been on a tear and is really your only star healthy going in this year) and he says he doesn't believe in that? Last year, getting Iginla who specifically stated he wanted to pay with Sid, playing him not with Sid for a majority, then playing him not on his natural side despite Sid's line-mates stating that they wouldn't mind giving their spot up for him! (All while going up in flames in the Playoffs again)

His refusal to even attempt to get favorable line match-ups during games is absolutely frustrating!