1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

One thing I was right about and one thing I was wrong about

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by JackAttack 5958, Jan 8, 2023.

1. Tiggs99

Tiggs99 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2019
    I was right about Claypool being a bum ( I started a thread on this). I was right about Trubisky. I was wrong about this being Tomlin’s losing season. I still think Steelers will not win another Super Bowl with Tomlin as a coach. He may take you to playoffs ( and he hasn’t even done that lately), but will always get outcoached.

2. Wolfepack88

Wolfepack88 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2022
    But remember, think about the pass protection he had to deal with. The raiders game he was about to get mauled and bailed out and improvised so I think we need to give him an NFL pass protecting line and see what he does. If he gets studs upfront that gel and then he doesn't progress by being able to go through progressions, make the right reads, move safeties with his eyes, etc then we will know. With a running game that is legit he should be in a position to progress. 2023 will be a big sophomore year for him. I always think when the Steelers went nuts trying to surround Ben with more weapons we got away from being balanced in adding talent and then the D started to fall apart so hopefully we keep both sides of the ball addressed in the future.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  3. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Well that would explain why You have never seen it. When they fly through around here....1st one comes as a scout, and all the other birds get quiet, and then here comes the murder. It's like I said cool, and terrible all at the same time.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I will say I'm wrong, but in My mind.....that's how I feel..LoL

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Not all, but some of that is on KFP also. You will see as He gets better....so will the line.

6. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    I mean someone here was comparing him to burrow. Burrow was the most sacked qb and still led the bengals to the sb with a terrible oline.

7. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    You need someone aaron Rodgers esque to compete with these guys in the afc. Nice drives but again it wasn't anything special. He just made solid plays that any competent qb should be able to make. Special is mahomes, Allen, Herbert, Lawrence, etc..

8. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Not just any competent quarterback could make some of those throws. The dart down the middle to Sims is not a throw any quarterback makes. The scrambling passes to Muth showcased a nice ability to throw on the run and not just "any competent quarterback" can do that. The throw to Najee Harris for the win against the Rats was shades of Patrick Mahomes. The dart over the middle to Pickens in the seam against the Raiders in which he recognized the outside leverage pre-snap showed well above average football intelligence. You're not giving Pickett nearly enough credit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Yes they could have. Almost nay current starting nfl qb has the ability to scramble and throw on the run as most of the league now is mobile. Again he did nothing that took my breath away like I see mahomes and others I mentioned do like wow I've never seen that before. I said he got better but I didn't see him as a guy that can go toe to toe with any of the top guys I mentioned. He was barely throwing for 150 yards a game and barely scoring 17 a game. You can't beat Amy of those guys when it matters doing that. You're going to have to match them somewhat and he doesn't look capable.

10. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    You can't judge Pickett's season by his stats. I think the pedestrian stats are more a function of the OC than the quarterback. I'm not ready to anoint him the next great Steelers quarterback, but he threw some passes this year that leads me to believe that he can become that. You're reaching big time if you think any old quarterback can make that pass to Najee against the Rats. Rolling to his left, off balance, anticipating where he needs to put the ball where only Najee has a shot at it, and then delivering a dart for the TD. That's the kind of instinctive play that separates the good from the great. Mediocre Mitch couldn't have made that throw and I would dare say there's only a handful of players in the league that could have made that throw. Go ahead and disparage Pickett as much as you like, you've been doing that all season. I think he's going to be an exceptional quarterback for a long time to come. You obviously think differently. Debating that now is a moot point and only time will tell which one of us is right.

11. gibson43

gibson43 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    For all the Kenny talk.

I was skeptical early on. I didn't like or dislike him in the draft. I had questions...as most probably did.

It was not good early for a lot of reasons. Part of being a NFL QB and an aspiring franchise QB is beyond all other attributes, you better be resilient if you weren't blessed with Mahomes/Herbert/Allen physical gifts. Kenny has shown that he is resilient...and has leadership qualities (you can see this the way the vets speak about him). And if people pull their head out of the stats, and just watch him play you can see there's something there (to what magnitude none of us or the coaches know). He's a rookie, on a team with an offense that couldn't get out of it's own way when they had an HOF QB. An OC who may not be a good OC for a second tier college team let alone the NFL. An O-line who was at best suspect early, and at best serviceable late. His most reliable WR was a rookie who doesn't run NFL routes yet (a freak...but can't run the full route tree). A WR1 who is a 2 and consistently drops 3 catchable balls a game. And no real reps/preseason with the first unit to speak of. These aren't excuses. If you watched any games...you know these are truths.

if you look at his games after the Eagles beating...he's not set the world on fire...but has lost only 1 game in the stretch (to Burrow) not counting the Ravens loss since he barely made it out of warm ups. and thrown only 1 interception. And his passer rating is 85 in the stretch...with 2 pretty impressive come from behind drives to win games. Both those game winning drives were playoff type drives. Lose either and out of the playoffs...plenty of pressure on the kid. This is plenty to build from. QB is the least of this team's worries in the immediate future. Now...if we don't some significant progress offensively by mid-season next year...then i think alarm bells should go off.

• Like Like x 2
  12. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Not so fast - don't forget the 75,000 Glory (Killer) Be's! :club:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1