1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

One thing I was right about and one thing I was wrong about

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by JackAttack 5958, Jan 8, 2023.

1. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    Yep!

2. Wolfepack88

Wolfepack88 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2022
    Exactly early in the season nope, but we established the run well during our 7-2 stretch and we never burned a team with play action.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Hey...speaking of Crow. Have You ever watch them hunt....witnessed them bring a hawk, owl, or Eagle down???

4. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    What was different at the beginning of the season?

5. METALMAN_68

Jan 4, 2022
    I have not.

• Like Like x 1
  6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Hmm:hmm:
    Well they will start out one at a time, and move in another, and another.....if a Hawk/Eagle/Owl can land up in a tree they usually are ok, and will beat the murder off, but if the crows can keep them in the sky they will bring down the biggest Hawk/Eagle/Owl You have ever seen. It's kinda cool, and terrible all in the same. I'm surprised You hunt, and have never witnessed this.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    Baby Bros. Heyward might play a bigger part in next year’s game plan if the Muth injury is as bad as it looks

8. SteelersFan369

SteelersFan369 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2022
    Well, for those wanting to see improvement, his 1st 5 games, he had 1 TD and 7 Ints. His next 8 games, he had 5 TD and 1 Ints. Does Pickett have a lot to learn, yes. Score much more often in the redzone, yes. But he was dismal in the beginning and turn that around.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Play action is not a simple component of an offense. There is a lot of communication and setup involved to make play action work.

The point of the article (at least how I interpreted it) was that the players were having trouble getting on the same page as Canada, so Tomlin simplified the offense in order to streamline the play calling, the end results was a better run game and limiting mistakes.

To me, this means that Canada will not be back and a new OC will come in.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Wolfepack88

Oct 16, 2022
    From your lips to God's ears!!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    We will see what they do. For Tomlin to step in on the offense side of the ball is really telling about how much confidence he has in Canada.

It's not The Steelers way to let someone go mid-season, this rule dates back well before Tomlin was coach.

Also, we don't even know if Canada was a Tomlin hire. We have many examples of coaching hires (and firings) over the years that were against Tomlin's wishes.

Bruce Ariens was a Rooney firing.
    Todd Haley was a Rooney hire.

I'm convinced that Danny Smith is a Rooney guy as well.

If anyone on the Steelers staff was born in Pittsburgh or has some family in Pittsburgh, more than likely the hire had more to do with Rooney than Tomlin.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Steel the Win on Sunday

Steel the Win on Sunday Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2016
    I thought Claypool would grow and be a contributor this year. Dead wrong, although he did contribute to our draft capital!

I know Sims had some explosiveness from watching him in preseason and wanted him to be our returner from day 1. He eventually earned the job and was very dynamic minus a few muffs.

I wanted to bet the over on 7 wins for the year. I figured our team was better this year than last, and had a weak schedule. I'm just sorry I didn't place the bet!

• Like Like x 1
  13. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    what special qualities?

14. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    thank you. So many people are desperate to cling to Pickett they think this was good. He played better yes but he still wasn’t that good. We were winning games with him barely throwing for over 150 in this current nfl era while he had decent weapons with pickens and DJ and they are saying he had this good season lol. He did nothing to wow anybody or did anything special. They need to take the Steelers glasses off once again.

15. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    we also played them without TJ. well we did beat burrow with TJ. we couldn't score against them either. keeping them on the bench makes them not hold the ball at all. :shrug::cool:

16. METALMAN_68

Jan 4, 2022
    To be honest, not a lot of crows round these here parts. We see red wing black birds picking on hawks in the air but not enough to bring them down.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    If you don't think what he did in back to back games on last minute drives against the Raiders and the Ravens was special then I can't help you. Is he a finished product? Far from it. But he's shown those intangible leadership qualities that can't be coached or taught. I think the kid has a real shot at being a successful, franchise quarterback for the Steelers and it amazes me at the "Steeler fans" who seem to want to deride him at every turn. He may not be Aaron Rodgers but I can assure you that he's not Mitch Trubisky either. At times he looked like a rookie this year but at other times he did things that made you realize that he's got an opportunity to be very successful in this league.

19. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I think a lot of fans need to admit that the Offensive of Line wasn't as bad as you (myself included) thought it would be and if you watched the Tennessee Titans play the Jags the other night.. you would of thought the Steelers had the "Great Wall of Dallas" Offensive line.

I think they still need to draft some young talent to both sides of the O-Line and D Line...

But give Pat Myer credit... he did a great coaching job

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    You must be new. Around here all of our coaches suck and can’t develop talent. Any improvement was solely on the players

21. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Like many of us, I was hopeful that the change of scenery would be good for Mitch to get a fresh start. Obviously, that was wrong and it didn't happen. Also, MT kept his team battling after the 2-6 start and he did a nice job driving continuous improvement and not allowing his team to throw in the towel. I'll give him a partial tip of the cap for that.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    What I was wrong about: Some stuff.
    What I was right about: A lot of stuff.

J/k
    Right - Kenny Pickett. He's not a Burroughs but he is better that what I saw in Lawrence (He sucked!) Sunday. Also, taking up for Najee Harris - That guy is a truck.
    Wrong - Matt Canada. At first, I figured he would connect the dots as the season wore on, he did but it was more like PotLuck instead of an actual plan.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Wolfepack88

Oct 16, 2022
    I think they get a B on the run blocking but I still think without a significant upgrade KP is gonna constantly be under duress during passing plays. We need Blue chip players on the line.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Was right about Harris. There were actually people calling him a bust when it was so obvious he was playing injured.

Wrong about Canada. Bought into the creativity hype and needing a mobile QB. Woof.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  25. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Agreed. And with 2 concussions in his rookie season, he needs to be thinking about his long term future if he gets more concussions. Pass pro was absolute hot garbage all year. They need to get some real T's either in the draft or FA else KPs career could be limited.

• Agree Agree x 3