1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

One more Ziggy thread?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by benwallace17, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Rambro

Rambro Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    No offence taken :drinks: And I do think you have some good points. I'd love to see Hood or Heyward become the wrecking ball up front like Nagata.

2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    actually guys, if you noticed , ziggys tackle on dalton was while ziggy was playing NT not DE. that's where he is going to play next year. cam will become the DE. ziggy has been playing alot of NT as of late. :cool:

3. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Agreed, my friend. Would love for us to have a beast like Ngata stuffing the line of scrimage and wrecking havoc in the backfield. Maybe Heyward can be that guy in a year or two!

4. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011

From what I have seen, Heyward's potential is a "sky is the limit" kind of potential. When the guy comes in he is exciting to watch and that is USUALLY a good indicator for a young guy. Anyhow, here is to hoping I'm right (for once)! :drinks:

5. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    :roflmao:

6. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    Heyward has the potential of a superstar. Even though I defend Ziggy, you can tell that Heyward will be the big star between the two of them. But that's no knock on Ziggy, I just think that highly of Heyward. So I don't think Ziggy will ever be that, but I do think he will be a solid starter for a lot of years, and I'll be happy with that.

7. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I couldn't agree more. I think Heyward has superstar potential, and really think he'll be a beast on our D for years to come. Ziggy isn't an all star, but I think he'll be a solid and reliable starter in years to come as well.

8. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    This is the mindset that I have. Ziggy will be adequately serviceable and Heyward will be the star. This is how I see it and I'm always right...except when I'm wrong!

9. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Ok, my final post in this thread; honest. Here are the "positive terms" that have been used to describe Ziggy in this thread: pretty good, fine, doing fine, does adequate job, solid starter, and adequately serviceable. Does anyone here really think 9 solo tackles & 1/2 sack in 12 games (10 as a starter) is good, fine, adequate, solid, or serviceable for a D lineman on the Pittsburgh Steelers, especially when we're talking about a 3rd year former 1st round draft pic? That's less than 1 tackle per game and 1 sack every 1 1/2 seasons! :frustrated:

10. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    he'll be fine when he plays his new position of NT. :cool:

11. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    I've long said he was NOT going to play nose tackle, because they couldn't afford to put him there when they'd need a replacement for Smith so soon. But now that we have Heyward -- I'm not saying Ziggy will move to NT or that he should move -- but now they could at least think about it and they'd only have to fill the #3 DE role currently held by Heyward. Add to that Hampton's salary/age combo and Hoke's neck surgery and it's the perfect storm. It's at least possible now instead of impossible.

You've been talking about Ziggy playing NT since we drafted him, so I have a question for you: how much weight do you think he should/will gain to make that switch, if any? I think he's too small to play that position right now.

12. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    If Ziggy plays NT, they'll need to change his name to Zaggy.

13. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    or Piggy...after they beef him up!

14. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    to be honest , i think he has already put on a few lbs. hoke plays the position at that weight. with the right rotation of he and mclendon, i think they can pull it off. as the league changes to more of a passing league ,i think the nose position will transform with it somewhat. don't forget we have corbin bryant waiting in the wings. he is also a guy that can play inside or outside in this system and they like the kid. we essentially will have 3 guys or more that can jump inside to the nose or outside to the DE spot right now. woods is also capable of this. the only guy that really is to small to do it is keisel, and we have seen him rush from that spot standing up. bryant, woods, ziggy, mclendon, heyward, keisel. not a bad rotation of capable guys by next year without making one of them into a casey hampton. remember casey was the most productive in his earlier years with quickness from the nose before he fattened up. he came in about two and a quarter. :cool:

15. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Casey hasn't seen two and a quarter since 5th grade, mac. LOL

16. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011

He hasn't seen two and a quarter since he found it in his pocket. I'm guessing that was his birth weight.

17. SteelerD

SteelerD Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    How about Biggie?

18. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I always thought Ziggy was going to be Hampton's successor because when he was drafted Tomlin was saying how "guys with this body type don't come around often". Sounded like a reasonable statement and DE body types do not seem to be as hard to come by. I never thought about it before he said that. If that's the case, NT is a all-pro position that is harder to come by than most other positions.

19. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    Boy, if the plan all along was to play him at DE and then fatten him up a little and shift him to NT, how often do you draft someone with the intent to change their position in their 4th or 5th year? That's some kind of foresight. Maybe he thought Hampton wouldn't have this much in the tank and he'd have to do it sooner.

20. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    yea , my bad i meant three and a quarter. he was quick and got penatration into the qb's face. at least he pushed the pocket back into the qb's space and didn't give him the space to step up in a pocket. his quickness as much as anything made them have to double team him. tomlin also said when they drafted ziggy that they liked his ability to play as a DT as much as the versatility to play DE in the 3-4. he played alot of successful DT at mizzou. ziggy has the build to pull this off. what makes alot of NT's successful is not only they're size but most have kept a decent amount of quickness for they're size. hokey's quickness made him able to play that position in the nfl being a smaller guy. mclendon is smaller then all of them and is doing a pretty decent job at it. :cool:

21. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Yes, I don't think he was thinking Hampton was going to be around this long or would surpass Hoke as a back up while playing the end here and there. It was a gut feeling based on one statement. Isn't this only Hood's 3rd year anyway?