1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

On this date in 1975

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 86WardsWay, Jan 12, 2017.

1. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    The Steelers won their first Superbowl 16-6 over the Purple People Eaters.

Let's get #7 this year!

:herewego!:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Agreed, let's get #7 this year.

3. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    Remember that game like it was yesterday against the Vikings.

4. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012

I was 9 years old when that game took place. I hardly remember it at all. Obviously it was my first Steelers Superbowl victory. My son is also 9 years old and I hope that he can witness the Steelers win their 7th and his first experience of their greatness at the same age I was.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I was 9 as well, though my first real experience with Steelers Super Bowls was the next year against the Cowboys.

6. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    I wasn't that much older when that game took place, only 30. Hope your son gets to experience that also.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    ye ol fogey stogey
    lol

8. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    ........I was 5 mos. away from high school graduation! Love the memories!

9. darcrav

Jun 16, 2012
    i was being driven by a ford in college

10. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    My mother and father had yet to consummate a relationship and therefore I was just a twinkle in their eyes I suppose. But I still know all about the game though. LOL!

11. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Let us know when you start shaving and we'll all pitch in and sign you up for Harry's Shaving Club (great products). ;)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  12. darcrav

Jun 16, 2012
    soupysales

13. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Me too. They were young with talent...just like this team. I'm getting excited just like I was as a kid

14. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    How would you rate their growth compared with this generation's growth? The reason I say that is because players that are known as legends are always just thought of us guys that made every play. That never gave up a big play. That never missed a tackle, read, or catch. That never lost a big game and never made a stupid decision. I'm sure the reality is much different. Like did Jack Lambert come in as a natural? Was Mean Joe always the player we remember him as? Was the offense the juggernaut we think of it as these days? Those are the kinds of thing my generation missed out on in not getting to experience it first hand. All the ecstasy and none of the agony. Since my little boy is named after Big Ben he will grow up thinking that Ben never made a stupid decision and that Troy never guessed wrong based on how I will brag on them. You see what I'm saying?

15. jimmyallen45

jimmyallen45 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012

I was 8 at the time, going to be 9 soon. What I remember best about that game was the play when Franco broke the Super Bowl rushing record- which had been set the week before. My earliest Steelers memory was the Immaculate Reception. From the 1974 AFC title game on, my memory of the team and its games becomes very sharp.

Over the years I've been on this board, I've sometimes mentioned about what we'd have been posting about had a similar venue existed for us (the closest thing then was talk radio).

I believe that amidst all the victories and glories, one would have seen numerous postings about:

Franco's fumbles, Blount's overagressive play (prior to 1975 he was considered the weak link of the defense), Bradshaw's many foibles, Noll's sometimes odd coaching decisions (see clock management at end of SB X), how Steve Furness should be playing ahead of an aging and injured Joe Greene, why trading Frank Lewis was so stupid, how fragile Lynn Swann was, etc, etc, etc.

All of these are forgotten now, which should be a lesson when we stock of our heroes, past and present.

• Like Like x 2
  16. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Oh trust me , there were growing pains, they weren't perfect by a long shot...But they were winners. Mean Joe walked out not wanting to play anymore. Mel was a great corner but could be caught on. We go to the Superbowl and our only losses would be against cincy. Bradshaw always got bailed out by swann and stallworth. Off the fields, drugs, you name it. No difference in today, except they were winners and undefeated in the biggest game of the year!

17. darcrav

Jun 16, 2012
    drugs???

oh come on not heroes of others

18. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah the call at the end of the first Dallas Super Bowl where he put the defense on at midfield is definitely one that could have made him look like a complete fool. That's the one you're referring to, right?

19. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Remember it fondly, Dwight White was very sick but still played
    Franco dominated, as did the Steel Curtain. Fran Tarkenton had no chance poor old Bud Grant LOL.

20. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012
    Somewhere up in heaven the Emperor and the Chief did this today.

:drinks:

21. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    the Steelers limited the Vikings to Super Bowl record lows of nine first downs, 119 total offensive yards, 17 rushing yards, and no offensive scores (Minnesota's only score came on a blocked punt, and they did not even score on the extra point attempt)

22. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Defenses cant play anymore unless you're HGHsherman