1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

On The Clock

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Quadrupleyoi, Nov 12, 2021.

1. Quadrupleyoi

Quadrupleyoi Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2017
    I like to play with Fanspeak On The Clock. Generally I do three or four rounds, as it is not interesting after that.
    I don’t think this will be a good year to try to get Ben’s successor. Not a great year for QBs. FYI, Kenny Pickett goes early, often in the top five picks. The Fighting WTFs seem to like him.
    It does look like a good year to refresh the DLine, and I actually took DLine with the first two picks amd got good players. Here was my latest draft. It is a fun toy, though that’s all it is.
    upload_2021-11-12_7-28-1.png

2. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I use Fanspeak’s mock draft engine as well, just for :poopy:‘s and giggles. FWIW I keep reading about the WTF liking Corral, but Pickett is impressing as well.

• Like Like x 1
  3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    This wouldn't be a good draft for the Steelers, ignoring other positions of need like OL, CB, QB.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Quadrupleyoi

Dec 23, 2017
    QB has to be ignored for another year, as there isn’t anyone liable to fall low enough in the first to be worth picking. Now trading up could definitely make it possible to get “The Guy”, but you have to upgrade to do that. I’d like to have Pickett for sure.
    Oline is a need, and in other drafts I have gone that route. It is just that Dline was the best guy available at a position of need when it was my turn, in this particular draft.
    I never touch DBs, because the Steelers are abysmal at developing them. That is a hole best filled by trade or free agency. You can see what you get as more of a finished product.
    I have used On The Clock for years but have never filled all needs in one draft.
    The Dline is getting old and banged up.
    If your team is really really good, you don’t have many holes to fill so it is easier to draft. If you are really really bad it is hard to draft badly, because whatever is available you likely need, and you have high picks. If you are in middle level purgatory like the Steelers, it is hardest of all to draft well IMHO.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    So far I like Pickett the Best. JMO

6. Quadrupleyoi

Dec 23, 2017
    Me too S.T.D.. If he keeps playing well his stock will keep rising, out of the Steelers’ range. I’d trade a first and Washington to get a high enough first to get Pickett. Anyone know when Washington’s contract expires?

• Like Like x 1
  7. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    It's too early to know what QB will be available when the Steelers pick in the first round.

8. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    They can't use Washington as trade bait, he's a free agent after this season.

9. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Main thing is You never know what the teams ahead of You value. I said in another thread....Who would have thought out of J. Allen, B. Mayfield, J. Rosen, S. Darnold, and L. Jackson....that Baker would be the 1st Qb taken???

10. Quadrupleyoi

Dec 23, 2017
    Thought that might be the case.

• Like Like x 1
  11. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I think there are a few positions that would be high on our list for the first round. The following are the most obvious (not in any specific order)
    1. QB
    2. SS
    3. CB
    4. OL

However, I think the Steelers will also place a priority on a few other positions that could find a selection earlier than you think (again in no specific order)
    1. DT
    2. ILB
    3. WR

Depth at the following positions will need to be addressed in FA or in the draft as well (you know the thing)
    1. RB
    2. WR
    3. S
    4. OLB

There's too many variables to see what exactly we will do. Theoretically we will have a ton of money to play with in FA, so I would assume some of these needs will change as we sign players to fill roster holes and lock up/let go some of our expiring contracts.

12. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Too many holes to fill in one offseason. Take the BPA.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. Quadrupleyoi

Dec 23, 2017
    Here was my most recent draft. FWIW, Kenny Pickett was the first player taken. BTW, I was surprised that Howell dropped to 18. He was the highest rated pick overall when the Steelers’ were on the clock.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 21, 2021