1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Old Cars

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by The Glory Days, Nov 13, 2017.

1. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    I had an old car once that I worked on. Over a period of time, I got all the right parts for it. I painted it and did some body work. I put a new exhaust system on it so it sounded awesome. It looked amazing. It sounded amazing. But for all my efforts, it wouldn't go over 20 mph.

It was embarrassing to get passed by the neighbor kid on his fancy bike that he bought off some shady character or some old lady who could barely see over her 65 Imperial's steering wheel.

But it really didn't matter that it took me 2 1/2 hours to get to work or that I could only drive it in residential areas. What mattered was that it got me to where I was going. I mean, it also got about 2 miles to the gallon and thick, black smoke poured out the exhaust. No one could even see the paint job for the smoke.

But still, all that mattered was that the wheels spun.

I'd take it back to the lab over and over. That's what I called my garage. I kept working on it. The neighbors would shake their heads and even offer to help me.

I just knew that if I kept at it, sooner or later I would fix the problem. Unfortunately, I only knew how to change the oil. I kept changing it and changing it, but the car never got fixed.

I wasted an entire year trying to fix that car. I had all the right parts. It should have been amazing. Looking back, I would have enjoyed it so much more if it had only ran like it was supposed to. I was embarrassed and frustrated and squandered a bunch of time and money. But hey, the wheels still turned, right?

• Like Like x 2
  2. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    The "Parable" Towel!?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I’m just thinking outside the box here, but did you ever try shifting gears? ;)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    I had a '67 442 for about 20 years. My wife convinced me that it would be a good idea to restore it. I did a complete frame off restoration and ended up spending roughly 10 times what it would have cost new!
    After it was done, I could go way more than 20 mph but, since it had drum brakes all around, I didn't think it was smart to drive around San Diego with the way people drive here.
    It sat in my garage for years until I sold it in Jan. of this year. It resides in Denver now.

5. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    I asked my uncle Mike and his friends Todd and Keith about that exact option. They wrinkled their noses and said that trying new things is for pack mules and yellow bellies. They encouraged me to just keep on changing the oil. They were so convincing that I didn't try shifting out of first. I had even put in a really nice Haden clutch with a solo shifter on the column.

Side note: Right before I gave up on it, I did try shifting gears. Turns out the clutch had a hairline fracture and wouldn't have helped when I really needed it anyway.

6. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I had a 1980 Chevy Chevette, 4 cylinder, hatchback. Got pulled over one day and knew I wasn't speeding or breaking any laws. The officer came to the window and I asked him what I was being pulled over for. He said we have a reported stolen car matching this description. I almost died laughing with him standing at my window. The car had about 130,000 miles on it and I told him I'd wish somebody would steal it. Once he checked my ID and registration he started laughing also.

7. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Too bad the Steelers offense isn't like a Pinto - you crash in to it and it catches fire.

8. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Took a while but, now I get it!

9. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    at some point a slick 40 year old vet te will want to race. :smiley1::cool: