1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

OLB

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by mac daddyo, Feb 22, 2015.

1. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    There typically seems to be a guy at one of our positions of need that drops to us that shouldn't have. Right now, Dupree is looking to be that guy this year.

2. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Hmmm... I just watched 3 McKinney games, and I think he looks quite good, at least against the run and attacking the backfield (not so much in coverage). He sheds O line blocks very well and makes tackles around the line of scrimmage. During the games that I watched, they only put him on the edge about 3-5 times/game, but he did look natural there. I think his best position may indeed be 3-4 OLB because he looks way better moving forward than dropping into coverage. However, with so few pass rush opportunities I have yet to find tape of him dipping low around the edge (although I did see him make one really nice inside rip under a left tackle to pressure the QB). I still have to watch Anthony.

3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Anthony has been moved up another round by draftscout. his game is much more of an attacking style than McKinney. he's more in line with fowler and possibly more so. I see some traits of him being able to possibly be moved to an OLB in a 3-4 when blitzing. there is no tape that I have seen however of him coming off the edge like McKinney. just little tidbits of him beating blocks to get to the ball carrier or qb in an aggressive fashion. the bend around blocks, the quickness and field awareness seem a lot better than McKinney. he's stronger too and faster. I just think he may be a nice guy to think about moving into that OLB spot and see what joey and butler can do with him. his all around game seems like it could transfer pretty well. the football smarts seem to be there. if you get a chance watch Anthony in the Fla.St. game. pretty impressive.:cool:

4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    here are some of the lesser known pass rushers that could be looked at if we miss out early.

ryan delaire townsen st. 160 tackles 38 tackles for loss 25.5 sacks

brock hekking Nevada 186 T. 34.5 TFL 22.5 Sa.

labrandon Richardson Bethune-Cookman 165 T. 43.5 TFL 22 Sa.

kyle Emanuel N.D St. 234 T. 58.5 TFL 35.5 Sa.

darius Allen CSU-Pueblo 180 T. 58 TFL 34.5 Sa.

mike reilly William & Mary 135 T. 32 TFL 27 Sa.

they all have some pretty good numbers and could be good pickups later in the draft at OLB. worth the time to go look at them if you get a chance. a few have some tape out there. the steelers have looked at Emanuel I've heard.:cool:

5. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Mac, a couple guys I have my eyes on are Vaughters and Ryan. I think Ryan is a guy we could look at later because he can play both inside and out, man does he have a motor.

6. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    You're thinking OLB for McKinney? Dude's got some wheels. I would see him at ILB ala Shazier in a 3-4. Maybe weak side in a 4-3 but like you mentioned he may need to refine his coverage skills.