1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

OLB

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by mac daddyo, Feb 22, 2015.

1. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Don't you have concerns that the only thing Kikaha does well is rush the passer? He is not very good against the run (right now, maybe will be in 3 yrs) and does not look good dropping into coverage. I said earlier the ACL was to both knees, but have seen where it was to the left knee both times. He would be great as a situational pass rusher but that's only coming in on a rotational basis. I'm not sure I'd want that with 1.22. We just spent a #1 on JJ who's game is not complete yet, that would be another incomplete player at the same position.

I'll have to watch some more on O. Odigzihuwa. the hip surgeries still scare me for a guy that needs to bend around the edge.

2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    that's not true turtle. I'm not sure how you can say he can't play the run. lets look at the tackle numbers.

this is the last two years total tackles:

Beasley - 2013- 44 2014- 34

Dupree 61-74

Thompson 78-81

Gregory 66-54

ray 39-65

fowler 50-60

orchard 50-84

odighizuwa 0- 61 he had 44 in 2012

Harold 51-54

hunter 57-73

mauldin 40-51

kikaha 70-72

all these are not just sack numbers for kikaha. he's besting most that are ranked ahead of him the last two years in tackle numbers so, he's making them other than sacks.:cool:

3. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Kikaha is the man. You can't teach relentless, and he has it in bucketfuls. That trait is what makes JJ Watt so great. I wouldn't be most pleased if he was our first selection, but I also wouldn't be heartbroken. He's not a Bruce Irvin/Barkevious Mingo; he'll be a 250-pounder.

4. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

what I'm saying is if we want a pass rusher, we better just do it and not wait. he's as good as any that will be left by our pick. his tackle numbers are second only to thompsons, yet far more sacks then Thompson. just do it, he will help us. give joey porter something to work with. I don't buy the wait until the 2nd round for him. he'll be gone. corners are deep, edge rushers not near as deep.:cool:

5. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Yeah, I think of all the positions that we need, we run the most risk of missing out on a quality player if we wait on an edge guy. Most, if not all of the top guys will be gone by #22, and the best of the rest may not make it to #54. If that is what we want/need, we should pull the trigger. To me, there is clearly more value along the lines at #22, but I think we reach a little for need and go edge.

Corners can wait, the top guys aren't really top guys. We can take the best of what is left in the 2nd or 3rd and not be far behind the guy(s) that go in the 1st.

6. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I agree. if that's what they want. that will be 3 years in a row for a LB but with butler as new DC, he loves drafting LB'ers.:cool:

7. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I believe that once again OLB will be our
    first pick, unless they happen to sign Worilds/
    FA. We have to figure out somehow to get pressure on the QB.

8. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Ugh... so little film available online of Harold, and I have no Virginia games on my DVR. From what I've seen, he has exceptional explosion, and that's my #1 criteria for an edge rusher. He beats left tackles, which can't be said for all of the highly rated pass rushers.

9. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
  10. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
  11. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    there is also one on max valles on this site that would give you another glimps elvis.:cool:

12. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Oops. I started a thread, got called away, and when I got back, Mac had the same idea.

13. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't know where I stand on this, turtle. Last year I shied away from Mosley because of injuries and he stays healthy his first season and has a very good year, meanwhile Shazier is the one who gets injured after being healthy in college. Go figure.

Hip injuries is a different beast though, I'd stay away from that guy but Kikaha, I think I'd stay open to that pick.

14. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    not a problem chief. he goes against some of the better tackles in the draft in these too.:cool:

15. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I agree BF and especially with butler saying he'd like to blitz more. run stuffers are not the guys you want to blitz a lot with. you definitely want pass rushers if that's your thinking.:cool:

16. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Thanks for the film guys! I'm firing google....

17. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I saw on a BTSC article where Kikaha failed some team medical tests at the combine but they were very vague. I can't seem to find that confirmed elsewhere though.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...47857/2015-nfl-draft-full-mock-draft-steelers

at the end.

18. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    That is inaccurate. Tony Pauline said that he heard some teams had taken him off their boards due to medical red flags (previous ACL surgeries) and/or lack of perceived NFL athleticism. That's as much as has been made public that I'm aware of.

19. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I was wondering if that was true, no other site had mention of it.

20. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Watched the Harold vs FSU tape ugh!. I know Erving is a very talented OL but some of the things I saw were disturbing. He is late off the snap almost every play. I saw a lack of power and even more disturbing a lack of hustle. Maybe I need to watch more but I don't see first round talent......no way.

21. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    whats everyones thoughts on some of these ILB'ers that could be converted?

NFL draft scout has now included McKinney from A&M to the OLB rankings.

how about guys like stephon Anthony from Clemson? speed, nice size, a nose for the ball, decent in coverage. could we just add some speed and good size and convert our LB'ing crew to 4 good all around types? we have some decent ones in place. great speed added to the mix, but just add more to what we have and get away from the prototypical type we have been accustomed to.

could this be in butlers plans of running the 4-3 or 3-4 or whatever our personnel dictates? get 4 fast LB'ers flying around from different spots? we know the old standard okie type defense isn't working like it used to. could this be an option to consider? :cool:

22. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I sadly have to agree. I was hoping that Harold would be a solid OLB prospect within our reach in the 1st, but I see a 2nd round project player after watching a few games. He has excellent potential, but I would be surprised to see him step in and contribute in the NFL on defense as a rookie. I'd be OK taking him in the 2nd because of that potential, but not the 1st.

23. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Mac, do you mean McKinney from Miss St, not A&M? If so, I have also seen some of the draftniks suggest that he has the traits to be a very good edge rusher. I'll need to watch some tape of him. Maybe he can make the opposite switch from what Timmons made when we drafted him.

24. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    yes elvis. Anthony from Clemson is probably better. I've mentioned McKinney on here before. he's got the look and size butit doesn't always transfer on film. similar to Harold. Anthony however is very active, strong and has a good bit of quickness. he also plays with some football smarts from what I have seen.:cool:

25. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011