1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

OLB/ILB

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by steelersrock151, Feb 24, 2012.

1. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Lawrence Timmons was an outside linebacker when we drafted him, apparently always figuring to move him to the inside. What are the chances that we take a different outside backer (Merciless, Upshaw, there are a number of them in the first few rounds) and try to move him into that inside backer spot?
    I only ask because from what I've seen, the outside backers in the draft are a hair shorter, but heavier and faster, than the top inside backers. And when we go to a nickle, a lot of them have experience with a hand on the ground, and could generate a serious pass rush if we needed them to.

2. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    I remember reading/hearing Timmons was initially drafted to play OLB...but then Harrison lit the world on fire and that pushed Timmons to the inside or he would have been riding the bench for a while.

Its not the right thing to do with a lot of guys they were lucky it worked out with Timmons...but its not something you can do with a lot of guys esp in the 3-4.

3. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    K. I was thinking mostly about Upshaw, who played OLB in a 3-4.
    Seems the biggest knock on Hightower is speed, and is he fast enough to cover sideline to sideline and tight ends up the field. Burflict, on the other hand, gets points for "athleticism", based primarily on his speed. Many, if not all, of the top tier outside backers are faster than Burflict, and bigger than both of them.
    Just a thought. I feel like we're going to keep farrior, we have sylvester ivy and other backers on the roster, so an inside linebacker has a year to learn the system, and if that means he sits (much like Timmons did) for a year and then plays like Timmons, it might be worth it in the first or second round.

4. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    what about zach brown?

5. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Athletic freak but not sure about on-field skills. Admitedly I haven't seen any film on the guy; only going off what has been written. If he interviews well I think he could surprise with his draft position.

6. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Shea MacClellin, Boise State. He's probably the smartest, most savvy defensive end convert in the draft. He may be able to play inside as well as outside. He reminds me a lot of Tedi Bruschi in the way he plays. I want to see how smooth he looks in the LB coverage drills.

7. Scrap

Scrap Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I want that Keuchly kid sooo bad. I know he won't make it past Phily and trading up costs too much but man he is going to be a tackling machine in the NFL right out the gates IMO.

And I hear what you are saying but its not all about size and speed. Linebacking has alot to do with awareness... you can have a fast guy over run his coverage and a slower guy with better awareness get there faster because he knows where its going to be. Not to say that they have to be one or the other, if we can find a guy with both that would be great!

I am starting to lean more towards drafting Poe with our 1st pick should he be there. The NT position is just so important in our defense.

8. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Yep. I like Ronnell Lewis as well. Both could play inside in the 3-4 IMO.