1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

OLB convert to an ILB??

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Daddymac10, May 4, 2018.

1. Daddymac10

Daddymac10 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    How hard would it be for an OLB to convert to an ILB?? They say OLB Keion Adams is too small for an OLB, but he's not too small to play ILB. He's bigger than Shazier & they never complain about Shazier being too small. Idk, just thinking outside the box...

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Depends on that player's skillset. It is not as simple as one believes it to be.

Is he able drop in coverage? Is he able to fight through opposing offensive lineman? How good is his lateral agility? How good is his explosivne capabilities? Does he possesses good instincts? Does he communicate well with the other linebackers?

All player dependent.

3. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    You know the person I'd like to see move inside? Dupree. I just think he would be better suited as an ILB. I don't know why I think that. Just a hunch that I think he could flourish in that role.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I don't see it for Dupree. He seems to make bad reads against the run as it is. That could be even more damaging at inside linebacker.

Shazier is undersized for an inside linebacker. He made up for it with his speed and intelligence, but I certainly wouldn't go looking for inside linebackers his size.

Players can certainly make that transition from outside to inside. In fact, the Steelers have had great success with such players. Chad Brown was one. So was Levon Kirkland. More recently, look at Lawrence Timmons. If I remember correctly, they were all edge guys in college and early in their pro careers, but they ended up playing very well inside.

You could also include James Farrior, though it's not as much of a switch from outside linebacker in a 4-3 to inside in a 3-4.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Moats did both but was better ( if you want to call it that) outside. I don't think Adams is to small for the outside. 6-2 245. We usually have a quicker smaller side and a larger side in our 3-4 LBers. I think we will be fine on the edges.I think we will be fine in the middle too. We have some talent that has a year under their belts in the system and we will have a healthier team on the field this year at every slot. :cool:

6. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Who will take crazy arcs to miss the qb then? lol

7. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Ronald McDonald. Oh wait those are arches.:cool:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I wouldn't even bank on Keon Adams making the active roster. I think Tj Watt could make the switch a lot easier than Bud. But that's not going to happen. Right now we don't have enough depth for anyone to switch to anything. If they switched someone you would just make hole somewhere else.

9. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    McDowell's has the arcs.

[​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    If a defensive end can adjust and learn outside linebacker, an outside linebacker can learn inside.

But it highly depends on the player how successfully they make that transition.

11. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I think it is easier for a 4/3 OLB to move inside than a 3/4 OLB to move inside. Timmons I think did it. Shazier I think did it.

12. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    If true (and you could be right) why didn't they address it in the draft?

13. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    He's got to have the inside track to making the 53-man doesn't he? They won't go into the season with only 3 OLB will they?

14. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    They are going to have to bring someone in. With Buds injury history you cant have Keon Adams as an immediate backup.

15. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Quite a bit of people are sleeping on Matthew Thomas here. He is this years "SPARQ King" among linebackers and had a rock solid 2017 campaign at Florida State University as well.

Keep in mind that hr went undrafted due to character issues. However, owning up to those and striving for self improvement is a key quality trait that showcases perseverance and redemption; both intangible characteristics as I see it.

Keep in mind that Shazier is on the PUP list; Williams, Fort, Matakevich and Bostic being the only ones. Should he perform well at OTA's, Training Camp and the Preseason, he has a good shot to crack the final 53.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1