1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

OL in the draft

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by steelersrule6, Nov 11, 2022.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

If the Steelers want to run the ball better, draft a guy like this.

• Like Like x 1
  2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I'd like all of them. LoL

• Like Like x 1
  3. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Thanks for this list. I see Skoronski didn't make the top in grades this year. I sure hope the Steelers do not take him at 1. I've watched him a couple times this year and he does not impress me at all. I really like Torrence

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Torrence is a guard I think, you don't typically draft guards in the top 10.

5. Rollers

Nov 8, 2016
    Could be right. But he would be a huge help

6. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Me too.

• Like Like x 1
  7. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    I have been a big O'Cyrus Torrence fan since a season ago. He was solid then but now he is the consensus number one overall Guard Prospect in the class. Whoever is a close second.... is not a close second.

Thing is, while I believe he is worth a late Round One pick, others will see him within the Top 40. For the Steelers, the Chicago Bears ate making that simple thus far. Should that pick stay within the Top 40.... O'Cyrus could be there to snag.

8. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Is this draft possible?

1: Bresee: DL
    2: Torrence: G
    2: Schmitz: C

• Like Like x 1
  9. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    I would want Carter but Bresee is not a bad pick either. To answer your question though, I do believe that Mason Cole stays another year so the likelihood of drafting a Center is unlikely. Heck, even if Cole is to leave, Pittsburgh has never drafted a player from the University of Minnesota since Matt Speath; 2007.

Now mind you, I believe that John Micheal Smith is the best Center in the upcoming draft. Though others like Rickey Stromburg from Arkansas, Smith gives me more flexibility in play calling as Stromburg is not quite the athlete Smith is. He would be a welcome addition given the team's illustrious history at Center. That said, only one potential problem; Outside Linebacker depth. Remember that teams just focused squarely on Alex Highsmith after TJ Watt went down. The team did not have any available in house options.

I hate to say this bit, should an EDGE rusher like Derrick Hall or Nolan Smith be available within one of those second round picks.. I believe you have to take one of them. Sickening to the stomach I know bit I would rather have a young and reliable third wheel at the EDGE position over having the center.

Sedrick Van Pran from Georgia would be a great alternative to Smith. While he is the third best Center in my opinion in the class, he will be one of the youngest players; still being 21 when the draft heads this way come 2023.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I prefer Carter myself, I just don't see him on the board when we pick.

11. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    I hope we get atleast 2 OL in this draft that know how to run block. If we
    could get a consistent run game going, it would solve many offensive problems. Play action
    becomes a reality and great option.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

If Carter is not possible then personally, I would rather focus on a CB at this point. Scary I know given the teams poor record of drafting CBs but this draft crop, while deep, is mainly talented at the top end.

That said, if Peter Skornoski is somehow, someway, available by the time we pick?!... I would not mind at all.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Rollers

Nov 8, 2016
    He scares the heck out of me. I've watched him twice this year. Against Penn State he did not have a very good game. I'm not sure he's worth that high of a pick.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    You do realize he plays on a horrible team, where PSU has many 4-5 star players
    Northwestern may only have a handful. Let's see what he does at combine.

15. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I will have to watch the PSU vs Northwestern game again sadly. Could not catch much of; any Football actually.

My big project I have been working on for well over 7+ years is finally complete! Just have to continue its progression.

• Like Like x 1
  16. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    If we're inside the top 5, then I take Jalen Carter......
    Below that, I would target Fashanu

• Like Like x 1
  17. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Hey man! Just got done wrapping up some tape of Peter's against both Ohio State and Penn State.

His lack of length has been a topic of discussion and, against the likes of Ohio State, did rear its head but only twice by my count. Against Penn State, only three. Overall though, despite such quibbles, Skoronski's tape and production far outweigh his lack of length. Now, Paris Johnson Jr has only allowed one sack during his entire collegiate career but stats are not the whole story. For that matter, much of the reps that Johnson Jr has lost has much to do with him being not just new to the position (something that should concern many given how well Kendrick Green has panned out) but also not understanding the more finite aspects of the position. The biggest of which is his timing and placement of his hands in a consistent manner. He has shown he is capable of doing such but not to the extent that I would personally like. The traits are there but the refinement is simply too rich for me.

Sad to say though as Pittsburgh has already been to three of Ohio State's games this season via scouts. If that does not indicate that Paris Johnson Jr is likely in the running... I do not know what is.

However, if there is a small glimmer of hope, Mike Tomlin does love the SEC. As @blackandgoldpatrol indirectly alluded to, Pittsburgh usually sends quite a contingent to Georgia yearly. For that matter, George Pickens looks to be a keeper. I would not personally mind Broderick Jones Jr as he has more experience playing Left Tackle and has a higher floor. Now, should he declare, I would be hard pressed to go against Olu Fashanu from Penn State. He may be very young, only 19 at the moment but his talent is already Top 10 worthy while having a ceiling that no other OT in the class can hope to match.

That said and, as @blackandgoldpatrol stated, if Jalen Carter is somehow there?!....

Select him. I am only 50/50 about even the top OTs in this class being true Blindside Protectors. I am 100% certain that Jalen Carter would be a BEAST in this defense; Defensive Lineman being another underrated need for the team. Besides, if 2023 proves to be Cameron Heyward's last??... give him a worthy student to inherit the mantle. :drinks:

• Like Like x 2
  18. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Unfortunately it looks like Fashanu is staying one more year, leaving Paris Johnson and that kid from Northwestern as the best T in the draft with the kid from UGA as a potential late 1st round guy; however, a lot can change with the Sr. Bowl, combine and Pro Days.

• Like Like x 1
  19. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011

That's too bad ..... Our recent surge has put Jalen Carter out of reach, and I'm not fully sold on Paris Johnson and Skoronski ... They're both a bit undersized, and I see Skoronski as a guard at the next level (which would still be acceptable as a replacement for Dotson)..... The further down the draft we go, I think our target will change to CB's Joey Porter Jr, or kelee Ringo .... Otherwise, trade down

• Like Like x 1
  20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I want a CB anyway. LoL.
    I think going on 4 years now.

21. Rollers

Nov 8, 2016
    we sound like kids at Christmas time with our wishes!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  22. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    If Porter Jr. is on the board and we're picking 15 or 16, there's zero way that we're pass on him. Tomlin practically followed dude since well before he was in hs even. I really doubt Ringo drops that far and other than Ringo and Porter, I haven't looked at the other CBs in the draft.

I'd say the further back we slide in the first, due to winning, the more the G from Florida is appearing to me. May be able to get him at 33, but I would want to risk the chance of him not being there. I think there's a slight chance of Paris Johnson being around.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Where we maybe slotted you may get your wish. That is if the FO
    doesn't stay put????

• Like Like x 1
  24. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    Skoronski has those short TRex arms. I don’t know if he will even play OT in the NFL. I’d avoid him unless you take him to play guard

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Crossing my fingers, draft is setting up nice for us.