1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

OK, let's start the debate now...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by jhmiller3, Dec 18, 2011.

1. YES

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. NO

100.0%
  1. jhmiller3

jhmiller3 Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
  2. NickSteel

NickSteel Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2011
    Absolutely. We will not only be in control of our destiny relating to the division title, but also the #1 seed. No way does Ben sit with so much on the line. Lets get that #1 seed and then REST UP.

3. domaug

domaug Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2011
    i feel bad that i'm in the minority, but i think Roethlisberger should not play. i mean, it's a HUGE chance to get to first place, but i think that unless he can complete passes the entire game on one leg, with some sort of brace on to minimize the pain/soreness, i think he should sit this out.

do i want him to play? absolutely. do i think he should? right now, no.

4. SteelMojo

SteelMojo Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Ben Roethlisberger - BigBen7.com

From ESPN's Trey Wingo via Twitter a few minutes ago:

Mike Tomlin says he's "optimistic" Ben Roethlisberger will be able to play on MNF vs Niners

5. Rambro

Rambro Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    for straight for shizzle he should...if he can. IDK though, I could see hairball calling up his meathead brother begging him to get his players to take a cheap shot at Ben... "come on brosif...take a shot at Ben low...the refs won't flag it, and you know Roger won't care :thumbsdown:

6. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Shouldn't even be a question. We must win for home field. Ben gives the Steelers the best chance to win even with a bum wheel.

7. ScottChab

ScottChab Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Abssolutely... if BA comes up with a gameplan that will protect him since his mobility will be severely limited and Pouncey is likely out.

Pistol/Shotgun
    Extra blocker in the backfield
    Quick passes (See games against the Pats and Titans)
    No/limited bombs away to Wallace since he is going to have a hard time throwing the deeo ball

8. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    If he can physically play, then yes, he should start. We're already in the playoffs and if he worsens his injury we'll have two games to rest him up. Have to push for at least the #2 seed at this point.

9. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    He's gotta at least try. We need this game bad.

10. Rambro

Rambro Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    A win in san fran would be a huge momentum shift for us, it's a must win IMO seeing how bad baltimore plays on the road. With the number one seed at stake I want to see the 100 million dollar man out there, could you imagine the rats having to go to mile high or SD in the first round. Also, don't forget the fact that the rats hafto go to cinci in the final week. There's a storm a brewin in the afc north and the sky isn't turning purple.

11. BigBen7

BigBen7 Active Member

Oct 22, 2011
    From Gerry Dulac twitter

gerrydulacGerry Dulac: Ben Roethlisberger expected to start tomorrow night against the 49ers. Decision was made even before Ravens’ loss in San Diego. 23 minutes ago

gerrydulacGerry Dulac: Roethlisberger showed enough in Saturday practice that decision was made for him to play. Source said "he's good enough to go." 22 minutes ago

12. domaug

domaug Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2011
    awesome. sounds like he actually is comfortable enough to play. man, he's one tough hombre.

13. lostyank

lostyank Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2011
    I want him to play but I have serious doubts about his mobility? I just hope, if he starts, that he doesn't re-injure the ankle hobbling for his life. Ben's a tough hombre, but I think he shouldn't play. I can't believe I said that!

14. BigSteel

BigSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Yes then BB sits for Rams game and pouncy sits until first playoff game

15. cory_86

cory_86 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Possible options right now if I'm not mistaken:
    #1 Winning out, starting against SF
    #2 Getting into a tie for 1st with HOU (and NE with one more loss than both us and HOU) which we'd lose thanks to the loss. This could come if PIT lose today and NE loses the remaining two games, PIT and HOU winning the remaining two and BAL losing one of their two remaining games.
    #3 Should be if we get into a three-way tie with HOU/PIT/NE. Would require PIT, NE, BAL to lose one of the remaining games and HOU winning all their remaining games.
    #4 Don't think that is possible
    #5 BAL retake the AFCN. Requires PIT to lose at least one of the remaining games with BAL winning all of theirs. (worst case scenario)

Realistic are - in my opinion: #1 or #5. #3 is possible too but less likely. #2 is mathematically possible but I don't see it happening.
    Obviously #1 is ideal and also doable. SF can be beaten, especially now that Ben is playing. Rams and Browns should be no challenge - no way the Steelers lose in W17 against them if winning means getting the #1 seed

edit: thanks truckin, forgot that the Jets loss (i think that was it) ensured at least #5

16. truckin9999

truckin9999 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Steelers have clinched at least the #5 seed. 1,2,3,5 are the only seeds they could be.

17. mdbates2

mdbates2 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    I don't think there is any way he doesn't play tonight. He was a full go on Saturday and took all the reps in the walk-through yesterday. That tells me he's starting. Also, there is a tremendous amount of adrenaline and momentum created by the games yesterday. Not only did the Chargers lose to give them the path to the division title, but they got every piece of help they needed to be able to control their own destiny. Ben got us this far, and if he is mobile enough to drop back from the snap (or use the pistol formation) then he should be the one to lead this offense tomorrow. Batch had a ton of reps this past week and should get just as many during the coming week and should probably start on Saturday. It is a short week, and Ben will undoubtedly be sore tomorrow morning. That gives him 2 weeks to heal for the finale and another week off heading into the playoffs.

I would not be surprised to see a stellar performance from the O-line tonight, understanding the importance to protect #7.

18. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    After this game we will have our defense back to full compacity.And maybe we can start batch the last two games but this game is too important.

19. ballhair

ballhair Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I would love to beat s.f. win out and have the #1 seed. However lets consider a few things. Ben is playing on one leg. What makes Ben great is his ability to move around and out of the pocket and make plays. If his moblilty is gone will he be a sitting duck back there and get hurt worse? We already clinched a wild card. Is playing at home that important? We seem to play pretty good on the road. Some tough decisions. I wouldn't want to be Tomlin and have to decide. If we had a half decent back-up, we would'nt be having this discussion.

20. mdbates2

Nov 3, 2011
    First - YES - playing at home IS that important. Second, according to the PPG, Ben showed enough mobility on Saturday and Sunday to convince the coaching staff that he can help this team win. They don't need him against the Lambs, and Batch is prepared to play this week, so run him out there, and see what he can do. Perhaps he lights it up in the 2nd half and they can bring in Batch to run the clock in 3rd and 4th quarters (HA - right.).

I say give Ben another chance to add to his legacy.

21. snipit73

snipit73

Oct 23, 2011
    Absolutely! That's what he gets the big bucks for! :popcorn:

22. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    yes we got a reason to win now!!!!!!

23. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm in the minority here, but I say no. I understand that with a win they could be a game up with two to go. I think they can beat the 49ers with Batch (maybe Dixon), provided they use the same game plan they did against the Pats. Don't go for long passes, just do the short stuff and alot of TE and underneath stuff. This will keep the QB upright since they will be getting rid of the ball quicker. Plus I think with Charlie he realizes when to throw the ball away if it isn't there, something I think Ben still struggles with.

24. mdbates2

Nov 3, 2011
    I don't doubt that Batch/Dixon COULD lead this team to a win tonight - but the intangibles of having Ben in there just point to a greater advantage if he is able to go. I don't think we see Ben holding onto the ball tonight and taking unnecessary risks. Instead, I think we see the wounded field-general out there, staying within his means, with an O-line that will step it up to protect him. The momentum and psychological advantage of running Ben out there will rule the day, IMO.

25. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i'm not as worried about the next two games as much as the last one in cleve. that will be they're SB and they would love nothing more then to hurt ben again before the PO's start. i think that one will be our toughest test. the brownies could have very easily beat us last week. they will try to beat us up in the last game. our guys know they can't make those big hits in that game either because of suspensions in our PO game. it kinda ties they're hands against a rival that doesn't like us at all. not to mention they always bring they're best against us. it's also at they're place.

yes ben should play by the way. kemoeatu should not. i'd rather see essex at center and legs at LG for this one. legs can help with the blocking assignments from LG.

now that the media is happy about the pats being back on top for now, i expect rodge has told the officiating crew that the steelers should lose tonight to SF. rodge was at the game with kraft in denver sunday. :bscow:

just say no to kemo :praying:

:cool: