1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

OK I just gotta say....

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Myronwemissyinz, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    Ya want to get your point across? Do it in ten sentences or less.

No one reads these LLLOOONNNGG rambling threads!!!!!

2. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
  3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Guess you love twitter :lolol:

4. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    I do if the subject matter is interesting enough. :)

Maybe the more accurate tip would be: Don't waste the reader's time. If he's going to read a long post, make it worth his time. ;)

5. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    It's no different, in many ways, to ordinary conversation. If someone says something interesting to you, you respond. If they take three hours to say something that is either quite obvious, or you've heard a milliob times before... well, that's just quite annoying. However, if they're making quite a complex point, that is also interesting, I don't mind waiting and hearing them out.

Erm... basically, what Ray said.

6. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    And I was just about to expound on String Theory... darnit! :frustrated:

7. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    What about those people who can say what they have to say in 10 sentences or less but still, really, have nothing to say? Don't look at me that way!

8. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm sorry Steeljim did you say something ?? :lolol:

9. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I don't care to read a long thread if it's interesting to me. The one thing I don't like to read is when someone goes in to some wild fantasy about how we could trade Ben for Peyton Manning and then bring Reggie Wayne to play opposite Mike Wallace and then bring Dwight Freeney to play opposite James Harrison and then bring Mel Blount back to replace Willy Gay and then trade Ike for Darrelle Revis and then bring Yoda in to tudor all of our younger players on how to catch the football with their minds to free up their hands in case they need to use a lightsaber to defend themselves from Ray Lewis and Terell Suggs. I mean not that you would ever read that in a post but... I'm just sayin'.....

10. colsteveaustin

colsteveaustin Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011

YEAH!

11. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    So what is the point of this thread? Please expound on your position with a detailed descriptive explanation so that we can understand what you mean. It is difficult to understand your nondescriptive comment. In other words, what meaning are you trying to convey with this thread? Are you saying that some people write/talk to much? Is it that they just have a lot to say, or that they don't really have much to say but have trouble actually saying it. And when I write "saying" I really mean "writing ". Because this is an internet message board forum where we can't actually speak to each other but can only share the written word. It can be difficult to convey meaning in the written word. Inflection and tone cannot be conveyed in written form. Further, some readers may tend to extract certain words or phrases in an attempt to derive meaning. That can sometimes lead to the writer's intent to be misunderstood by the reader. This is usually referred to as being taken out of context. Context is a very important concept in conveying meaning through written communications. Setting and establishing that context sometimes depends on the reader's understanding of the writer's style. This is predicated on the presupposition that the reader has read and understood previous work produced by the writer. Another fundamental aspect of conveying meaning through written communication is the effective use of punctuation and white space. If used effectively, these elements of written communication can ease in readability of the passage. What was the question again? I seem to have lost my train of thought. At any rate, I just hope that people learn how to be more succinct and make their point in ten sentences or less. What do you guys think?

12. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

:applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

You can be such a...

But you're so good at it. :)

13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    He really is :lolol:

14. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Actually I think Vegas is just trying to be condescending. Meanwhile, the rest of us are just trying to honor the spirit of this thread which seems to be that we shouldn't just post a long rambling account of things. One poet, Ralph Waldo Emerson I believe, once said that "He is the ONLY man alive that could say exactly what he wanted to". So, with this in mind, maybe we can all forgive eachother's round about ways of getting to the same ultimate conclusion which is basically GO STEELERS BABY! BTW.... YOU RULE VEGAS!

15. TheWanderer

TheWanderer Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    what's up with all of these hillbilly towns in the south putting 'vegas' after their names as if their town brought a vegas atmoshpere into play. NashVegas? KnoxVegas?! BurVegas?!?! (burlington,nc)

i see it all over the south. what's up with that?

16. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I guess it is it just a way for us hillbillies to give a shout out to our towns. When you come into the booming megatropolis of a town like Knoxville and see the lights and buildings and so forth, you know you've made it to the big time LOL :o . Of course it is all relative when you think about some of the backwoods country remote places surrounding a place like Knoxville. There are literally shacks within 20 minutes of town where folks still have dirt floors and barefoot with one pair of shoes for going to town once a month when they get the guvmint check. Seriously, there are some really good people who live and lead very simple lives and are perfectly content with what they have. I think it a way for folks to acknowledge the small town heritage while having a little bit of fun and not taking themselves too seriously.

17. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    WOW...this short one was a waste of time. :hehehe:

18. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    "My fan club on the old MB call me obKNOXious"

No way. I don't believe it. :roflmao:

19. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I live right outside Knoxville in a town called Maynardville. It has 3 red lights in it. Some around here refer to it as "maynard vegas" So it is true that small town folks refer to their home as "vegas". I even knew one dude that lived in Las Nevada and he called his town "Las Vegas". It's just something people do.

20. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I thought we were going to keep responses short? I couldn't eve read through that wall of text :frustrated: