1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Oh' you're from Pittsburgh

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 86WardsWay, Apr 17, 2021.

1. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    This happens all the time to me and happened once again tonight at a friends B day party. Had my Pens shirt on early and then when it got cold I put on my Steelers sweatshirt to which a Browns fan said. Sh*tsburgh? Are you kidding me? I said Nope! I bleed BLACK N GOLD! I said I was born and raised in Pittsburgh, 20 minutes from downtown. He said. Oh' ok. That's cool. I can respect that. My wife started pointing out 5 other people there who were Steelers fans but never even been to Pittsburgh. It was a funny but awkward situation for the Cleveland fan who then told me he's recently a Colts fan. I live in Indiana where this party was.

• Like Like x 1
  2. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    I had a charter this afternoon here on San Diego bay. A birthday party for a family. I, of course, had my Steelers hat on and one of the women gave me props for being a fan. She's from Stubenville and a Steeler fan, her husband is from Cleveland and..........well, you know. I've only been to Pittsburgh once but, I bleed B&G too!

• Like Like x 4
  3. Chinchilla

Chinchilla Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2019
    I still wear my early 90s Lloyd Jersey and I will be at concerts or wherever and some random person would come up and fist bump me and then show me tattoos everywhere of Steeler players, etc

Im 50 and from Connecticut and that Jersey is covered in beer stains over the Big Block 95 and I have not drank since my teens. lol
    Wifey wants to use it as a rag so just in case I sign out I have it in my will that it gets buried with me and my two dog urns. lol

There are some incredible youtube videos of Steeler Nation across the world as you all know.

I honestly cant explain it except in 1977 I was 7 and saw them on TV and its a bond that is etched permanently.

I used to take it so seriously that I got the big C band satellite in the 90s and would pace in a room by myself and noone could talk to me. lol

If the Steelers lost a game I would not read or watch anything for a week. lol

Go look at the old 3 Rivers videos and you wan to see a sic eff crowd before during and after. lol

As we all know...that blue collar following had offspring that transplanted and is much of the reason why they have taken over other football stadiums and those fans are the ones that remind me of the ole day 3 Rivers crowd.

Then you hear the announcer say that the Steeler fans travel well. lmao

4. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    So what you are saying is the Brown's fan recently switched alliance because they finally made the play off's. I hate the Brown's, but I can have empathy for long suffering Brown's fans for decades of frustration, hey our base faced that as well. Have little time for bandwagon fans, hope he drops a huge mustard stain on his brown's jersey this year, lol

5. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    I've only been to Pittsburgh once too. But there are a few players from my area that have played with The Steelers, Timmons, Shell, Kirkland, McFadden, etc.

Been a fan since around 1972. We didn't have a team in South Carolina, so I chose the Steelers and have been B&G ever since.

6. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Steeler Nation......We're bad, we're nation wide. I'm also A ZZ Top fan. As a side note, I love that the writers chose to use "Just Got Paid" during the playoff montage in the film "Friday Night Lights". The original 1972 release from "Rio Grande Mud" (not the stupid remastered version with reverb) is a bad a** jam.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    I’m born and raised in Pittsburgh, but I haven’t lived there since ‘86. Still rep my Steelers gear from time to time. I work at the Home Depot, and I give a “Go Steelers!” shout out every time I see a customer with the black and gold. (Pens and Buccos, too.) I never fail to get a fist-bump or at least a smile in return.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Steelers-MT

Steelers-MT Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2017
    I work downtown Pittsburgh and can see Heinz Field from other parts of the office.
    Born and bred in Pittsburgh, and it is funny hearing fans from other teams calling Steelers fan bandwagon to me cause when you live here , you never hear that.

9. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    I remember a t-shirt on display in a store near the Point.

The caption read: "The only sign of intelligent life in Cleveland."
    The picture was a highway sign, reading: "Pittsburgh - 120 miles"

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    I've been from one end of this country to the other, and even to Hawaii. I've not been in a town in any state that I couldn't find a Steeler bar to watch a game on Sunday afternoon or Monday evening with my black and gold brothers and sisters. I am not, however, from Pittsburgh. I've been there many times, though, over the years.

• Like Like x 3
  11. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Born and raised in the Burgh but left right after HS. Lived away from the Burgh for 47 years and it's not the Pittsburgh gear I always wear that gives me away It's when I say certain words that they know where I am from. I stopped saying "pop" and "rubber Band" and "yinz" etc. etc. years ago but people still hear it in me.

12. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012

I had a hard time tying to figure out his switched teams comment and the timing of it. I guess being a Cleveland fan they're just used to jumping on and off the bandwagon.

13. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I play this city building game on computer in my spare time and they really love player created content and encourage it and allow ppl to put it online to download. There are several Pittsburgh maps and one content creator that uses Yinzer for his screen name that has made some sweet Pittsburgh local buildings. The funny part of this is one of his buildings got picked for top ten assets by one of the Youtubers that has a huge following. Dude is from England and hearing him try to pronounce Yinzer was hilarious.

• Like Like x 3
  14. The Sodfather

Nov 17, 2014
    I have a cousin that lived in So. Cal for 25 years before he moved back a couple of years ago. He said you never had to look hard to find a Steeler club or a Steeler bar to watch the games. I asked him about the make up, meaning, displaced Pittsburgers or native Californians. He estimated it was about 50/50. He said the number one answer from Cal natives who liked the team was that they won, and they loved the blue collar culture. Plus, he said many of them just loved to party with Steeler fans, lol.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Lol... What's the "other" word for rubber band

• Like Like x 1
  16. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012

Broken condom.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Besides that, depending on when your cousin was here, the only team he would have had to root for would have been the Chokers!

• Like Like x 2
  18. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    My mistake!! I stopped saying "GUMBAND"

19. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    You had me shaking my head on the "blue color". I'm thinking we are black and gold. Then I realized you mean "collar".

20. The Sodfather

Nov 17, 2014
    Didn't even realize I spelled it wrong. I hate when I do that, thanks for the correction.

• Like Like x 2