1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Oh Ray...Keep talking hypocrite!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Lizard72, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    From

Ray Lewis to appeal fine for hit on Steelers' Ward

By Jeff Zrebiec and Matt Vensel The Baltimore Sun

“If the receiver has the ball, it’s your job to disengage him from the ball. You never want to hurt anybody. I’ve been in this business too long, and the last thing you want to do is hurt anyone. But I just think that once you start getting into these fines — and I don’t even know how they come up with these numbers — just get done with it and whatever it is. I’ll talk to the league and move on from there.”

Hmmm, contrast that with:

Baltimore Sun as well:

"Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis was fined $5,000 by the NFL, a league spokesman told The Sun. Lewis was disciplined "specifically on a pass play [where] he made helmet to helmet contact with the opponent," the spokesman said. Ravens coach John Harbaugh insisted earlier this week that it was a legal hit, saying he didn't expect Lewis to be fined."

http://www.aolnews.com/2008/10/25/terre ... rently-he/

From SI:
    Since he was 13 years old, Lewis has lived his life targeting other people with his body under a set of rules. In ninth grade he turned his helmet away from a tackle and injured his neck. "Never been the same since," he says. "You're taught to see what you're hitting. Don't turn. We're creatures who work with our heads and necks. But now you've got wide receivers cringing when they catch the ball, and you're already loaded and shooting your guns. So it looks like you're going for the head. My thing is to go low. Low man always wins. Pads under the other man's pads. Keep going lower or miss tackles. Maybe that's the formula they want."

and most famously the quote:

Lewis later admitted that "I wasn't screaming, 'He's hurt,' I was screaming, 'He's done!' "

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08345/93 ... z1dGxvZAjq

Don't forget to make sure everyone knows that God loves the Ravens and has given them all his blessings too!

2. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm as big of a Steelers fan as they come, but I also consider myself unbiased. Ray Lewis is no more of a hypocrite than any of our hard hitting players. He hits the same as Harrison and Clark do. He's not dirty, just like harrison isn't dirty. I don't think Lewis intends to hurt anyone anymore than Harrison does, it's simply the mentality that those two play with that cause them to be more ferocious than your average NFL player. It's either in you, or it's not.

I don't understand the hate for Ray Lewis. He plays hard and plays clean. He talks a lot, but he backs it up. I want him to lose because he plays for the Rivals, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with the way he plays the game.

3. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    he plays clean....now thats funny

4. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    You do realize that most fans of other teams think James Harrison, Ryan Clark and Hines Ward are dirty players right? If Ray Lewis plays dirty, then so does James Harrison, since they play a very similar style.

5. tbrucemom

tbrucemom Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2011
    I agree that some of our guys play just as aggressively as Lewis and we love it when they do. What I still don't understand is how Lewis could be fined $5k and Clark was fined $40k and that Lewis wasn't penalized and Clark was. That to me is the difference.

6. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Yeah, for as much I can not stand Ray Lewis, it really isnt because I think he is a dirty player. I just think he is a convict who got away with it and then preaches GOD to everyone who will listen. :amen:

Also, I thought Lewis was fined 20K for his hit on Ward?

7. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    Lewis was fined $20k. I think the fines are ridiculous as well, it's also ridiculous Ray Ray didn't get a flag yet Clark did. It's getting out of hand for sure, but I was just commenting that I don't find Lewis to be a hypocrite or dirty.

8. dkblue

dkblue Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    If they make that call, fifteen yards and a first down really change that game.

9. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    Agreed, but great teams overcome penalties and bad calls. Look at some of the bad calls we've had against in the past and we've overcome them to win games. We had the chance to win the game by scoring TD's instead of the FG's we got. We also had the chance to put the game away by getting 1 more 1st down on offence at the end of the game, we didn't. Then we had the chance to put the game away by stopping them on defence, and we didn't.

Fact is, we failed to win the game due to our own problems. Hard to blame the refs when we didn't get it done.

10. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    While that's true, it remains harsh that on that one play, Hines is knocked out of the game, the refs re-watch it seventeen times on instant replay, and there's no flag. Would it have changed the game? Maybe not. Maybe Ben throws an INT on the next play. But the point is consistency. I really feel that in the last year or so, the rules on contact have been changed such that its difficult for refs to call a consistent game.

11. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    You prove the point! You don't think he's dirty or Suggs and the rest of the league doesn't, but everyone thinks Ward and Harrison are dirty. This is after they have made statements about putting people on a bounty and delivering "Borderline" hits!

I love aggressive play, but that was a definite head shot on Ward and totally intentional and it's not the first time. The whole league was upset with Suh about supposed comments while the QB was down, but Lewis comes out and says he was celebrating the fact he took Mendenhall out and no one bats an eye!

12. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011

I gotta agree.....The Lewis on Ward hit was just football as was the Clark on Dickson hit.... JUST FOOTBALL.....Let them play!!!

Rodger you and you yourself are killing this game of pro football.LET THEM PLAY!!!!...ITS F%@KING FOOTBALL!!!!

13. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Just don't go to the club with your boy ray ray. You might find yourself stabbed to death and nobody saw anything. He plays clean... gimme a break.

14. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    Oh give me a break. I'm as big of a Steeler fan as anyone on this site, so don't tell me how Ray Ray is my boy. Yes, I think he plays clean, the same as I think Harrison and Clark play clean. If you don't agree, fine, but any other fan in the league will tell you the same thing I'm saying, Harrison and Lewis have the same style of play, so how can one be clean and the other dirty? And what does his play on the field have to do with something that happened off the field more than 10 years ago?

Seriously guys, being an unbiased fan is a good thing.

15. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    nice man-crush. LOL.

16. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    Ray Ray is the poster boy for clean play, sportsmanship and fair play. Just the other day I was sitting at supper with my family talking about how we (wife, kids and I) would love to hang out with Ray. We were thinking we could hang out with he and his friends and then, possibly, go clubbing with him. I tell my kids everyday, "Kids, in Ray we trust!". On a side note, I wonder if he would take us to visit the box that Reed looks like he should be living in?