1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Oh $#&!, Goodell just got a 6 yr extention!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by diehardsteel, Jan 25, 2012.

1. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Sorry boys but it was just reported.

:goodell:

2. truckin9999

truckin9999 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
  3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    oh my. the pats could win alot more SB's. :help: :cool:

4. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Oh my god... SIX?? I get that they want money, and he can make them money, but do they really not care what fans think at all? This isn't like, "Shouldn't the Steelers care who the fans want for OC." The fans are like voters. The owners should definitely care what we think of the guy. Maybe he's popular in other areas, with other teams...? I thought he was pretty well hated by everyone.

I find it hard to believe that there isn't someone out there that can satisfy fans by preserving the game at a reasonable level and run things with more common sense (he seriously still just hands out fines and suspensions by himself, with no explanation or accountability -- come on, get a committee and explain some sh**) and still do the things that make the league money. You'd think it would be an easier task, since that is what fans want. I still buy Sunday Ticket, but I HATE that they get any money from me. Shouldn't they want people to feel better about parting with their money, and not agonize every time they have to? Might be good for business. I don't buy any other NFL products, ever. I feel like they should be attempting to not rub our noses in it and try to make us happy. And saying, "This is what the fans want" doesn't make us happy.

It seems like he's successful despite people hating him. Like Terrell Owens. People hate him, people love to hate him, some people love him, but whatever, he's popular so he's not complaining. But the thought of Owens succeeding in anything makes me cringe. I do NOT want to give that guy money. Shouldn't they be aiming to be Peyton Manning? No one can hate that guy. He works hard, earns everything, does everything right, is nice. I have no interest in the Colts but still root for him because I like the kind of player he is. Even people that don't like him or hate all other teams/players still respect him. He needs the money even less than T.O., but I'd still rather give it to him. Seems like that would be a better way to bring new people into the league.

5. MikeFanForLife

MikeFanForLife Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I literally let out a sigh and slumped in my chair when I saw that.

6. ScottChab

ScottChab Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    So could any other team. Just sayin'.

;)

7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Horrible news. I just heard that in my car, caught the tail end, was hoping I heard it incorrectly. Wow, that's just so disappointing. :cry:

8. ScottChab

Oct 17, 2011
    I guess the owners are ok with neutered defenses.

9. TheWanderer

TheWanderer Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    the most recent nfl commercial has players serenading fans and suggesting that they play for 'us.' well WE all hate goodell. seriously, no nfl fan likes roger goodell. none. he's ruining OUR game. the players don't even like him. his efforts to make the games safer aren't even embraced by the players. how crazy is THATA?! his approval rating is a very round number. i hate him.

10. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    :godell: That is all.

But we're stuck with him it seems. All we can do is hope and pray he doesn't hurt our league even further. :bowdown:

There's more to this sport than money. Maybe that's just me.

11. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I'm interested as to how league-wide the hatred is. Obviously we Steeler fans hate him. I'd imagine any of fans with a defensive heritage, or a sense of old school football - Raiders, Ravens, Bears, maybe Packers? fans - but is he really universally derided by the fanbase?

I'm not challenging you, I just honestly don't know. I'm quite proud of my black and gold tinted spectacles, after all.

12. diehardsteel

Oct 19, 2011
    I wonder if we'll ever know what the vote breakdown was as he must have made some enemies during his first term. Would have loved to have been a fly on the wall in that room during the discussion. Oh well, we're stuck with him for another 6 loooooong years. Better keep the "goodell" related smilies up but I suppose we can take down the "fire BA" one.

:godell:

13. Ronak

Ronak Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Not if Goodell can help it.

14. snipit73

snipit73

Oct 23, 2011
    :shrug: Did anyone REALLY expect him to get fired or retire???????????????? As long as he is making the Owners money, he aint goin' nowhere!

15. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    It must be good for business.

:godell:

16. colsteveaustin

colsteveaustin Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Great! He's going to run the NFL into the ground. I REALLY,REALLY,dislike that guy.

17. shadowmaker

shadowmaker Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    They are buying into his 'make a bunch of money no matter what it does to the game' mentality. I said it before and I ll say it again, its going to be just like NASCAR. They will ruin to make a lot of money and the real fans will stop watching. When VInce McMahon buys a football team, it ll officially be in the toilet.

18. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Since they gave him a 6-yr deal, I'd have to guess it was overwhelmingly, if not unanimously approved. If there was any real serious minority opposition, they'd have given him 2 or 3yrs, not 6. And Steeler fans, I don't see any reason to think that the Rooney's didn't support this.

Revenue up, 10-yrs of labor peace, TV deals. What's not to like?

19. ScottChab

Oct 17, 2011
    Key word... if.

20. diehardsteel

Oct 19, 2011

Uhhhh, the fact you can't legally hit anybody, defensive players have become timid sissy's (except for our guys),the rules don't apply to all players & teams equally, and there's absolutely no standard of consistency with game officials. But other than that, everything is peachy. Thanks for all you do Roger!

21. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    What I wonder is, is it really that hard? Not that I could do it, but I'm sure many, many professionals could. How many guys could get a great tv deal on hockey in Canada? Or Soccer in England? America lives and breathes football, and has to have it. He might as well be selling oxygen and granola bars to Chilean miners. What he's done is rubbed our granola bars in the dirt. We'll still eat it because we have to, even if it's disgusting. But couldn't someone out there have rubbed them with M&Ms instead? He's not even trying to actually help the game. It's like he doesn't even notice it.

22. harristotle

harristotle Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Football won't even be worth watching in within the next 5 years :cry:

23. diehardsteel

Oct 19, 2011
    Uhhh, sorry to break this to you but it was a 6 year extension.

24. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Over the line, man.

25. harristotle

harristotle Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I recognize that, I'm saying he'll have it completely finished off before he's even done with his contract.