1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Offseason moves, thread

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Jan 13, 2021.

1. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Looks like this may be a one year prove it deal for butler and tomlin to at least win a playoff game.

2. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Strong vote of confidence. Not surprised really, the one year deal thing pretty much is generated by Colbert's actions. They are not going to sign long term deals with Coach's that may get axed when a new GM and possible HC comes on board. The one year extensions for MT may be as much on his end as Rooney's...really never know. While long terms security is optimal, we never really what is going on in the personal lives of these individuals.

3. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I think that only applies to head coaching and GM positions but I could be wrong.

4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Certainly lining up to make sweeping changes Ben, Tomlin, Colbert, Butler all at the end of contracts.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    I honestly do not know how far down it reaches. I know one (or possibly) 2 teams were on the bubble for 2 compensatory picks. That said, I wonder how this all affects the comp. selection for teams. There are/were only so many comp picks given out each year, are these 'coach' comp picks added to the pool, or taken from those already allotted?

6. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Good question. There are only 32 comp picks total. I don’t know if these Rooney rule picks are part of the 32

If Omar Khan had gotten any of the jobs he went for the Steelers would have received two picks. It’s a great incentive for teams to develop minority coaches and FO staff

7. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
  8. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Don’t they have to interview at least one minority candidate before they make an appointment? I hadn’t heard that they had done any interviews at all.

The explanation around the OLine coach is a bit odd

9. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    It's hard to even comment on w/o getting shredded or blasted for political crap. It is what it is, and at least at this time hope it improves opportunities.