1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Offseason moves, thread

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Jan 13, 2021.

1. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    What other kind of handoff can you execute when your QB works exclusively out of shotgun?

2. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    It ran better, but then it seemed they went generic, saw a play that worked and just kept trying to repeat it over and over....with horrible results. It's like the bubble screen a couple years ago, you knew the first play was going to be that. After Chase had success on the sweep the next week the D smelled it out for a loss, yet it kept coming lol.

• Like Like x 1
  3. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I want to go back thru every game this season and get the stats on just that play. It had to go for negative yards overall, and probably not even close.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    So this will Be Tomlins 4th offensive coordinater in 10 years ??:facepalm::shrug:

5. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    The Rooneys don't know the term "common denominator".

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    He coaches the outside linebackers and remains as a scapegoat when things go badly on defense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I thought one thing he definitely did well was elevating Buds game. It coincided with when he was given back LB coaching duties.

It’s all speculation on my part but it seems his roll handling the defense has been reduced a lot, with reports that Tomlin calls the defense and then there is Austin as DC assistant.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    This Rooney sucks. I am done hating on TOMLIN there is no point the guy sucks everyone knows he is a fraud but yet he will never be fired so who is really to blame? This Rooney is the root of the problem he has butchered his father and grandfathers legacy. This once proud franchise is now getting beaten by 30 to the Cleveland Browns! Let that sink in. Thanks Art for ruining the Pittsburgh Steelers.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. SWSteel

SWSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2020
    Art refuses to acknowledge it. Hiding behind consistancy/continuity of HC

When the Steelers org was typically about doing the best thing for the org period

Once is an accident twice is a trend

10. Chinchilla

Chinchilla Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2019
    Yeah...it just doesn't add up. I have never been a fan as KB being the DC. I think besides the The Washington football team...I dont know of many organizations that have that many #1 through #7 draft picks on defense.

Maybe he is really a OLB coach with the fancy title? I do then give him credit to get Highsmith playing at a high level as a rook when Bud went down.

• Like Like x 1
  11. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Jesus Christ dude you really suck at this. You realize that “this Rooney” has been the team president since 2002 which covers our last three Super Bowl appearances two of which were wins.

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  12. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    May I refresh some young people's minds, The Steelers were the laughing stock of the NFL during Art Rooney Sr. tenure,
    even though we loved the (Chief). It wasn't until Art 1 turned things over to Dan, that the Steelers fortunes changed. The hiring of Chuck Noll
    the (Emperor) and the drafting of Joe Greene and etc . Art II was born and raised to take over the Steelers mentored by his father and others.
    The Rooney's know how to run a a football team, yes they are loyal to a fault, but I have been a fan for over 50 years and have seen the good and the bad.
    I trust the Rooney's to put a good product on the field and run an ethical football operation. And they will, They will hire the right person to run and coach this organization.
    They know football and they know people, I trust them to do the right thing for this fan. Chuck Noll and Dan Rooney forgot more about football than most people will ever know.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    I agree with most of what you said until they hired and now refuse to fire MT. Organization has become an afterthought. We are no closer to a championship than the Detroit Lions.

14. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    Team President? Fancy title which entails watching your old man run a team while you drink Shirley temples in the owners box. How has he done since his old man passed away and he has been owner? You know when you have to actually make roster and coaching moves yourself.

Zactly

15. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    I thought he should have been let go after the AB Facebook Live, followed by the Jax loss a year later. Then last season I thought he was doing well at 8-5, and again at 8-0 and forward this season.

But the old habits came home to roost. Undisciplined, self-centered WRs, completely unprepared for a home playoff game in all three phases, and basically getting completely outcoached/outprepared and relying too much on star players to save games.

I hope we don't have to wait three more years to find out nothing has changed.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    ...or, better yet, not enough Edmunds

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  17. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    When's Danny Smith's name going to come up as the next to get his walking papers??

18. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    But it was Dan Rooney, not Art II, who told Cowher to draft Roethlisberger. And I am pretty sure it was Dan Rooney who pushed for the Tomlin hire.

• Like Like x 1
  19. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    SMH

20. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    13 were signed to futures contracts. Dion Cain, Wendell Smallwood and the kicker were not part of them. What???? Those were the 3 they should have signed first. :cool:

21. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I was watching an Arthur Moats video. He mentioned something about a rumor that both Pouncey and DeCastro will either be cut or tried to be traded in the offseason?

Where did this rumor come from?

22. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    Year after year when we have the same convo, and I tell you we will have the same convo, your optimism never waned. To each their own at the end of the day we are both fans who want them to win.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
  23. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    So is there any wrd/ rumors who they may be looking at for all these coaching openings?

24. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I hope Doug Marrone becomes our OL coach.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Probably yes on a play to play average, I think there was one play when Conner scampered 50 some yards to close out a game (those long runs were really few this year). Every team will have some plays that are stopped for loss and no gain, a few where the RB breaks out for 10 or more, but I think what you consistently look for are those 3-5 yard gains that establish a rhythm to either feed into...or off from the passing game. IDK the running % for the year, but in the last 6 weeks or so we ran only 17%, behind center or shotgun...that is just not going to get it done.