1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Offseason Moves/Free agent signings

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Feb 15, 2023.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Im lucky, I’ve never suffered having trouble actually falling asleep, but actually getting into bed at a smart hour has always been more of an issue. That being said, there HAS to be another way(s) than choosing one of the few things that could derail your multimillion dollar career. Maybe some of these guys didn’t have a solid upbringing in their background to make great foundational executive functioning decisions, but they surely have great resources, professionals, examples, doctors, trainers, teammates, agents, $money$ to help them get to a better place than to partake in a substance that would derail everything. THC is doubtfully the ONLY thing that could work for him.

I’m not sure how you can say that you are “sure” that was the case with him. Of course I don’t know you or your greater situation in life, but if it was between seeking other alternatives or your multimillion dollar career after MULTIPLE disciplinary warnings; I’d hope (and bet?) that you’d choose your career and some other means.

People in their 20’s don’t often have the life perspective to understand the ramifications of their poor choices no matter how much money they make. That’s why we see so many athletes in trouble and ruin their careers. But they don’t need to search far at all for peers and mentors all around them providing great examples and sound advice. If they choose to look elsewhere and behave and make bad choices for their own well being then I find it hard to make excuses for them.

Their lives and opportunities have so much more fertile soil to draw from than most of us. We are rarely the same. I stay away from comparing their lives to mine in many many ways.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Ok let walk back the sure part, obviously I can't speak definitely about someone else however I do know a great deal about addiction and the drive behind it. I also have a great deal of experience with mental health and the challenges it presents. Logically we could say its a choice between smoking pot and a million dollar career and that they should choose the million dollar career. The problem is that it's not logical in a person's mind. As I said it not a choice between career vs weed, it's literally about sleep and relief over no sleep. In my case I know taking an excess of 10 tylenol pm would cause long term health problems and possibly kill me but in my depression it was I can not take them and watch the depression worsen or I can take them and sleep. For my older brother it was simple, stop drinking and keep your family or drink and lose everything you care about but he saw it as drink to feel normal or don't drink and feel horrible. Logically his family should matter more but he never sees it that way. His oldest son makes the choice not to take his meds because then he can't smoke pot again it's the choice between feeling good or feeling crappy with a head full of fluff that leaves you feeling numb and not better(the bipolar meds). So that's why I said sure. MB may look at it as I blew millions because I couldn't make a choice not to smoke but he may not. Anyway way off topic.....

• Like Like x 3
  4. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Again, I understand much of what you are saying and don’t disagree in the greater convo. I too have also used and arguably abused the amount of weed I smoked when younger. Pot doesn’t exactly have the same addictive affects of most other substances, and I can even argue that it did feel like a minor addiction when I was young and I knew it was kinda ruining some aspects of my life, but I also liked other things it provided me at the time. Nearly everything I did seemed more satisfying when I was high. That’s where the semi-sorta addiction came in. Everything felt muted and less pleasurable or palettable when not high. Until a reversal organically took place for me. It become the nucleus of most of my problems and being in a mental fog (to say the least) also became less fulfilling. Do I basically quit.

I’ve also and continue to be on prescription meds for other issues that are not as serious as lots of people suffer. But I use my experiences to try and inform my opinions in a broader context. Basically, I’m saying I don’t poo poo others situations and try to look at their perspectives. I’m not brushing off anyone’s situations. And don’t get me started on loved ones I know who’ve suffered serious dependency addictions or mental health problems. Trauma too! Lots of them grapple with a mix or full combo. Life is difficult; I get it.

Of course I could be wrong, but in MB case and the (admittedly) little I know of it, he’s not on the worse side of this convo and it seems more like poor and immature decisions from an athlete where people have let things slide due to talent and what others can absorb from his efforts. Athletes are often spoiled, coddled and given a hall pass to make money for them selves and the programs they are in until a situation happens and crashes like a house of cards to a lesser or greater degree.

Players like Josh Gordon who seems to have a much more clear addiction and abuse problem Fo not seem to be the same. Gordon is in a storm. Bryan appears to be walking into a lighter down pour and chose not to grab an umbrella despite walking into 4 shops that sold them and now he’s ruined the sweet leather interior of his whip that was once and could have still been pristine.

Sorry for the flowery analogy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Sources say the Mason deal is 1 year 50k with lifetime 20% off Taco Bell. Pretty good deal honestly

• Hilarious Hilarious x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  6. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    also, 15% off of Accrisure for the 1st quarter of every game
    free packets off Heinz

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  7. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Primanti brothers for Ben, Taco Bell for MR...the smell remains the same on and off the field. (It;s a joke!) lol

8. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Do people actually still eat at taco bell???

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Well yes, and 2 days later I still have the gas to prove it.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  10. forgotten1

Mar 4, 2022
    I feed my cat taco bell so i can save on cat litter.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  11. forgotten1

Mar 4, 2022
    When i'm in a bind. No Sh*t.

12. forgotten1

Mar 4, 2022
    F*ck i'm slow,
    Taco bell because he got his bell rung
    :facepalm:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. forgotten1

Mar 4, 2022

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  14. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Just asking. I haven't eaten at one in at least 16 years, and wished I hadn't. LoL
    All the Taco bells I've seen had to merge with KFC just to stay going.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. forgotten1

Mar 4, 2022
    Honestly it has been since 1990, It was with Pantera and Death Angel before a show in NC.
    At least this is on topic with the thread. Off season Moves not so much signings tho.

• Like Like x 1
  16. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Pantera, and Death Angel were eating at Taco bell with You???

• Like Like x 1
  17. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I like taco bell crunchy tacos

18. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I think the title to this thread should be changed to…

“SIGN HIM! SIGN EVERYONE!”

Glad the Khan Man reads this board and decided to take the advice of that little phrase that we see often here, lol.

You da man, Omar. Way to nail your first off-season as GM.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I remember having dinner at a table next to a few guys from Testament just before one of their shows in Worcester Mass. One of the friends in our group had a 15 year old with us who was a huge fan, and he went over to say hi and get some signatures. They were very cool to the kid. He had a great night.

• Winner Winner x 2
  20. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    About once every 12-18 months Taco Bell seems like a good idea. About 30 minutes afterwards I remember why it’s a terrible idea

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  21. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I think you mean when you’re in a bind and need to ****

22. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I was going to put this >:puking 3:, but Honestly I never had one....So...:shrug:

23. SteelersFan369

SteelersFan369 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2022
    Jack in the Box tacos are my favorite

• Like Like x 1
  24. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I haven't had Jack in the Box in 25 years. They don't even have them where I live now.

25. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Their basic ground beef hard and soft tacos are ok.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1