1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Offseason Moves/Free agent signings

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Feb 15, 2023.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Graziano clearly doesn't have any actual sources for this. It is just speculation, so I wouldn't pay much attention to it.

Harris made a comment about the way the league doesn't value running backs. He is right about that. It sucks for running backs. When was the last time you heard him say anything? I think it was either before training camp or right at the beginning. I don't understand why Steelers fans are whining about comments that have nothing to do with his performance.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
  3. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    It does. The discrepancy stems from the difference between cash and accrual accounting in the reports. The cap is based on accrual accounting, but teams 'use' varying amounts based upon the amount of cash given to their players in a given year.

As an example, take Highsmith. He just inked an extension that paid him $16MM at signing. Add to that the $1.01MM he'll receive in salary this season and the Steelers are using $17.01MM in cash on him this year, but his cap number (based on the annual accrual for cap accounting) is just $4.4MM ($1.0MM base salary + $3.4MM prorated bonus). Similarly, as it stands now per Over The Cap, he will account for $18.7MM of the Steelers cap in 2027 ($15.5MM salary + $3.2MM prorated bonus); but since the bonus was already paid to him in 2023, the actual cash payout will be $15.5MM. That's ~83% of Highsmith's cap number.

When you factor all of the cash vs. accounting across the roster teams often 'outspend' their cap due to some of the large signing bonuses paid out to top players they gave contracts to in the offseason, but it all depends on the year and size of contract/bonus.

~48.8% of team revenue goes to the players, in the form of benefits and salaries. The former includes things like health insurance, disability insurance, pension, tuition assistance, and other non-wage benefits offered to players. The amount remaining sets the league's salary cap for the following season.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    That's one of the issues I think of when the talk starts up about seperating QB's salary, or giving credit...whatever. Now the talk of RB;s starting a seperate union?? Gp ahead, but it still comes down to the 48.8% that the players get through the CBA. It's all based on that, how teams divide the pie according to the rules varies, in the end it's all accounted for. TB is taking a hit this year and has 13 rookies in their 53, the 35 million Brady cap hit does not help, lol. Belicheck was discussing the different methods of CAP management, mentioned the Rams. Their way got them a SB (as did TB), but the end run always catch's up. he said there is no wrong or right, just different methods.

5. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    Granted all the PS for the most part can be claimed be another team at any time (if they put them on their 53), but they have assembled a nice depth of vets with quality starts. It has been years since I have seen the depth we have moving forward.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Ollison was a 235 lb battering ram at Pitt. Glad to see him on the roster even if it's just the practice squad.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2023
    • Like Like x 3
  7. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    DK reported that he doesn’t think Najee is fond of talking to the media except after games. Personally I think it will benefit Najee for Warren to carry more of the load. What will be more interesting is the situational usage this year especially in the red zone. Najee figures to be the short yardage back.

8. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

Are some of them protected? Like three a week? :cool:

9. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    Not sure how that works. I think you can call up a guy, they put him back on PS. I think you can only call him up 3x. Not sure of how it all works, seems to change every year

10. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    I am guessing that they cannot protect until Tuesday. I think they can protect 4 players starting on Tuesdays until after the game, so there is a window when everyone is available. I think the idea is that players who might be elevated that week to the active roster can be protected.

11. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    trying to find stuff in PS can be irritating, lol. First thing that came up was from 2020. Found this but still nothing on the protecting rule.

Explaining how the NFL works; Part 3: The practice squad - Behind the Steel Curtain

another, but still noting on a protection clause.

How it works: NFL Practice Squad rules, eligibility, salary, and more - Hogs Haven

• Like Like x 1
  12. Wolfepack88

Wolfepack88 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2022
    I think you're right, but I'm being lazy and don't feel like looking for it but I remember a brief snippet about how he was reluctant to give some praise to Warren after one of the games. I believe the insinuation was he was feeling a bit of pressure. Who knows, I just hope he stays humble and let's his play speak for itself. I've come around to the one two punch as it should keep both healthier and it will give defenses more to plan for. As for whining no, I just don/t want another Brown down the line because I think the Burgh has something special brewing in this team.

13. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
  14. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
  16. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    I really liked Gentry...But that's a good sign,when the Team has to get rid of good players...Gentry wasn't flashy but he was a great blocker and good RedZone Target...But he'll never have the " upside " of a Washington, I get it

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    I liked Gentry as well but you have a possible stud in Washington so I get it. Surprised he wasn't offered a spot on the practice squad so now he sits on the bungles practice squad.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    Flacco already has a TD pass…. Sigh… he may pass Puckett soon

19. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Who is Puckett

20. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022