1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

OFFICIAL STEELERS MB/TSF MB FANTASY DRAFT - STEELERS VOTING

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by gpguy, Mar 7, 2012.

1. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Re: OFFICIAL STEELERS MB/TSF MB FANTASY DRAFT - STEELERS VOT

Not knocking Jones, but 4.46 isn't that close to Wallace's speed. It's fast, but Wallace is faster than fast, and that's what makes him so special. I think Wallace only timed in the high 4.3s, but I bet if he ran his best he'd be in the high 4.2s. If he can run a 4.28 like I think he can, or even a 4.3, then Jones is as close to Lawrence Timmons as he is Mike Wallace.

Also, I could be wrong about this too, but I think 4.46 would make him the 4th fastest receiver on the team. Not saying he wouldn't be a great pick, just trying to put it in perspective.

2. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011

Close one between Reynolds and Datko, but I have to go with the upside of Datko.

Andrew Datko, OT, FSU

3. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011

This is tough. Now I dont know a ton about these guys...only what I read. But this Datko seems to remind me of Tony Hills...would have been a high pick but they got injured, etc.

Hayward could be BPA...NT is a huge position of need...but guys like Baptiste and Nicks have a range of round 4 to 7 I've seen. Its really hard to tell. Of course there are some RBs and probably WRs...but not sure I'd spend this high of a pick.

I have no clue and its still tight.

Looks like we're going to have to extend bidding since its so close (Datko now has 3 the rest are the same from my previous update). Its going on 2am and I'm going to bed soon and I wont be back around until anywhere between 11am-1pm Tuesday...

Thanks everyone!

4. Ben There

Ben There Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011

I like Pierce. :yeehaw:

5. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011

I think it's splitting hairs. Wallace clocked a 4.33, Sanders 4.40, Brown 4.47 at their respective combines in shorts and t-shirts. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibilities that Wallace has slowed a fraction to be in the 4.4 range. It's not a big deal either way. They all play fast and I wouldn't rule out a WR in the 4th, but that's not my first choice.

6. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011

Well, my point is that there is the combine timed speed, and the "real" speed we see on the field. Some guys don't turn in a good time. I think Jerry Rice ran a 4.7, but if you look at the tape he was clearly a 4.4 guy or better. His misleading time helped him slide in the draft. We've seen what our WRs' "real" speed is on the field. I think Sanders is a legit 4.4 guy. I think Brown is too, which makes him faster than his time of 4.47. I think Wallace is faster than 4.33, even now. I definitely don't think he's slowed down at all. He's the fastest guy in the league, or close to it. A lot of DBs can run a 4.4, but no one can run with Wallace. Super fast guys like Darrell Green and Deion Sanders have been clocked in the 4.2s. Ike Taylor was the fastest man in the league and clocked in at 4.18 at his pro day (that time might be a little too low because it was his pro day, but it figures to be in the 4.2s at least). Wallace is absolutely in those guys' league when it comes to speed.

7. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011

If I'm allowed, I'll change my vote to Datko... Just because I hate the idea of a CB here.

8. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011

Ok I'm going to call it.

Datko has 4

Hayward, Reynolds, Hicks, Turbin all have 1 (Ben there, Pierce was taken, pay attention, hahah jk)

Also as a reminder going forward as I've said before ANYBODY from the MB can vote for the Steelers pick (this could help with calling the voting earlier/etc too) Thanks!

9. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011

For what it's worth, Lance Zierlein wrote a decent article about the steelers drafting ways. He also put together a positional ranking list after eliminating guys in the top 120 that don't fit the steelers. This might be a subscribers only article... http://thesidelineview.com/columns/draf ... g-steelers

10. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011

I don't want to hijack this thread, but I must say something... Ike won't be around forever and has already lost his blazing speed he used to rely on and now just has regular speed, as we saw when he failed to catch up to Demariyus (sp) Thomas. Yes we have three young guys behind him, but what do we know about them?

Lewis: Showed small flashes of potential last year, but was still picked on by QBs when he was in. He's starting to look like hes not a 100% bust, but will he be starting caliber? It's possible, but a bit of a leap to say that at this point.

Brown: Looked like a real player on ST, but didn't work his way onto defense as a rookie. Lots of potential here, but will he develop into a player? I sure hope so and it's definitely possible, but I don't know yet.

Allen: Got onto the field here and there, but not much. Same situation as Brown. The potential is there and there's no real reason to think he's a bust, but there's also no way in hell we can say he will be a good starter based on what he's shown so far. It's very very possible, but we simply haven't seen it.

So we have Ike Taylor, who probably has like 3 years left, and then three question marks. And we DO have a roster spot available for a rookie, should we draft one. McFadden and Gay are both gone. At least one of those spots has to go to someone. If we stumble upon great value somewhere in this draft, it's as good a position as any to pull the trigger. Geez, we just took a safety in round 2.

11. SteelByDesign

Oct 20, 2011

I'm not happy at all with our draft for the Steelers so far lol :good:

12. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011

Yeah its been interesting. While S is a position of need...its not immediate need...so I'd been happy using that pick elsewhere....but yeah. And this round I didnt actually vote (forgot to cast mine before calling it haha...its been a looong few days for me) but anyways I was torn a little...but I thought Hayward would be the guy I'd go with. But even with that vote it would have been 4-3 so it wouldnt have mattered. Hopefully the real draft doesnt suck like some of this one hahah

13. winggin

winggin Well-Blitzed Member

Oct 23, 2011

Brown was injured coming out of the gate. Never had a chance to show what he can really do. Allen was a rookie so I'll give him the benefit of doubt. I just don't see how a 4th round CB this year will be any better than the 3 3rd and 4th rounders we drafted in the past few years? I do see the BPA value in the pick just not the need.

I was okay with the draft until we essentially drafted a 6th round OT in the 4th. But then again I wanted a RB so.... *shrugs shoulders*

14. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011

Steelers pick coming up:
    Drafted so far:
    1) Hightower LB
    2) Harrison Smith S
    3) Brannon Brooks OG
    4) Andrew Datko
    5) ??

Possibilities, no special order, just trying to see best available at some positions:
    Robert Turbin, RB Utah State
    Taylor Thompson, TE Southern Methodist
    Jarius Wright, WR Arkansas
    Donald Stephenson, OT Oklahoma
    Alex Hoffman Ellis OLB, Washington State

15. SteelByDesign

Oct 20, 2011

My vote is Akiem Hicks, NT, Canada

16. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

I vote for Keith Tandy, CB, West Virginia

17. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011

I think this is a no brainer. Put me down for Hicks. This guy is now being talked about as a 3rd round talent.

18. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011

I vote Hicks, hands down.

19. winggin

Oct 23, 2011

The Detriot Lions draft Akiem Hicks, NT, Canada in the fifth round.

Haha. Thank for helping me with my research.

20. winggin

Oct 23, 2011

Dibs on which ever team is drafting before the Steelers nexr year!!!

Kidding. The Falcons better not draft who I have in mind.

21. winggin

Oct 23, 2011

What about that Baptiste guy everyone was tslking about in round 4?

22. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011

I'll get the pitchforks...

:swordsman: :swordsman: :swordsman: :swordsman: :swordsman:

23. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011

Haha...

I was thinking about this during some of the voting this year...and people picking right before taking people we vote as the winner or something. Not saying that GM wasnt thinking of that player beforehand and such but still. I've thought about making it that voting or any possible pick discussion doesnt start until the Steelers are on the clock or something. As its almost like letting the other teams into the Steelers "war room" and such. So yeah...I think one of the few things that will be tweaked next year.

24. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011

Think the two best options here are Nick Jean-Baptiste (NT) and Robert Turbin (RB).

That being said, my vote goes for Jean Baptiste.

25. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011

These NT's are hard to tell this year...esp the later round ones...I've seen Baptiste ranked any where from a 4th to 7th (or even a FA)...and Hicks I've seen from 4-7 also. Not sure I would say Baptiste is automatically better than Hicks or the other way around even...its almost a toss up.